• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Testament of Sister New Devil English Dub Stars Lauren Landa, Chris Hackney

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The erotic content (assuming that's what people watch DxD for) is way more intense in Testament.

In all honesty, I only watched DxD to learn the context behind spoiler[Issei getting killed on his first date] and stuck around because it exceeded my expectations in regards to character likability plus the plot was interesting. The fanservice is just a bonus.

But yeah, this show getting an L.A. dub is very fascinating.
macattack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:06 am Reply with quote
Either this was a Crunchyroll decision before the relationship with FUNimation got under way, or FUNi opted to outsource it because their internal studio is too busy.

I wonder which recording studio they used, FUNi is in contact with quite a few in LA. If I were to guess they used Central Command, which has done quite a few raunchy titles at LA including Ikki Tousen.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:01 am Reply with quote
Everyone is talking about LA dubbing this show and why that might be. While I'm here thinking, damn, they got Wendee Lee to ADR, she is one of the most (if not the most) experienced voice actresses in the business.

Just look at her acting list, he voiced over 200 roles and most are main characters. I'm interested as to why they pulled out the "big guns" on this show, when they didn't even license it at it's debut (it has 2 seasons) and know they finally dub and release it.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:43 am Reply with quote
It's funny how Lauren Landa hid her name in DxD but not for this one...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:52 am Reply with quote
Well, DxD would be nonunion whereas I imagine this is union. I'd think that would have more to do with it?
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:48 am Reply with quote
I dunno, she's had her name on projects that, when you look at it, are obviously non-union. Maybe DxD was back when she thought that sort of show was embarrassing to have on a resume, and now she's moved past that worry?

[i don't know]
TheMorry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Guys use your brain for once please. Crunchyroll announced many upcoming dub releases before the partnership deal with Funimation. Sure this title was not amongst the titles that Crunchyroll announced a year ago that would get a dub. But just imagine, not every dub gets a early announcement. Most likely Crunchyroll already made a contract with Bang zoom about dubbing it. And now Funimation handles the distribution. For them its cheaper then to outsource it to Bang Zoom. But that is just my two cents on the matter.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Yeah, I meant the peep show. the basic idea behind it i understand. how they actually go about running them is something I've been wondering about for nearly a year. thanks for explaining

No problem. If I am being completely honest it's not as if it's some super fancy event. However, if you like T&A it is fun and the crowd does get into it more then at most normal Q&A panels where it's more subdued. They are 18+ though so they do wind up being held at night. Generally earlier on where as the Crazy Deaths and all the hentai stuff is much later.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:04 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf, Wendee is the most prolific Cali VA according to the ANN Encyclopedia.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Weird that Funi outsourced the recording to the LA talent pool. Even though there are a lot of liberals in Texas, Funi falling under the Bible Belt part of the USA could be a factor. While I will watch this series, the more explicit light novel series I will not follow.

Since Funi has dubbed things WAY raunchier than New Devil (most notably Panty & Stocking and High School DxD. Hell, Seven Mortal Sins and Valkyrie Drive Mermaid came out THIS YEAR alone) I HIGHLY doubt being in the "bible belt" is the case.

It was probably due to cost. Outsourcing it to another studio is probably much cheaper than doing it in house since they are doing more simuldubs.

you also forgot tsugomomo which is also in that category. sure its not as outrageous as valkyrie drive and sin nanatsu no taizai ,but its definitely in the ecchi genre even though its fanservice is extremely toned down similar to trinity seven.

also this casting definitely threw me for a loop. was more than sure they would have either the cast of DxD , or valkyrie drvie or a combination of both for the series. but to completely outsource the dub and to a main cast no one dont know of. except for the ADR Director. Hell , i more or less thought miss lee retired from anime voice acting , and more focused on directing.

especially considering i haven't heard any news of her being casted in any new roles after IBO.

at least they didn't give it the oni ai and onamori himari treatment and give it a sub only release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stelman257

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I've always been surprised at how this show never got much of any fandom is compared to DxD. The erotic content (assuming that's what people watch DxD for) is way more intense in Testament. And it's not like the superpower battles are all that terrible either.

Hahaha nah, people watch DxD because of the super fun fights, the chuuni protags and villains, the brilliant comedic moments (especially in the dub) and the surprisingly likeable and charming cast of characters. The fanservice stuff is what a lot of people come for sure, like any ol' show, but the it ends up being a side bonus at best. The rest is what you stay for and the reason the show has 3 seasons and a fourth incoming.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
Speaking of "Omamori Himari", I wish Funi would tell us why they didn't dub it.
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:47 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Weird that Funi outsourced the recording to the LA talent pool. Even though there are a lot of liberals in Texas, Funi falling under the Bible Belt part of the USA could be a factor. While I will watch this series, the more explicit light novel series I will not follow.

Since Funi has dubbed things WAY raunchier than New Devil (most notably Panty & Stocking and High School DxD. Hell, Seven Mortal Sins and Valkyrie Drive Mermaid came out THIS YEAR alone) I HIGHLY doubt being in the "bible belt" is the case.

It was probably due to cost. Outsourcing it to another studio is probably much cheaper than doing it in house since they are doing more simuldubs.

you also forgot tsugomomo which is also in that category. sure its not as outrageous as valkyrie drive and sin nanatsu no taizai ,but its definitely in the ecchi genre even though its fanservice is extremely toned down similar to trinity seven.

also this casting definitely threw me for a loop. was more than sure they would have either the cast of DxD , or valkyrie drvie or a combination of both for the series. but to completely outsource the dub and to a main cast no one dont know of. except for the ADR Director. Hell , i more or less thought miss lee retired from anime voice acting , and more focused on directing.

especially considering i haven't heard any news of her being casted in any new roles after IBO.

at least they didn't give it the oni ai and onamori himari treatment and give it a sub only release.

Oni Ai and Onamori Himari were probably considered to be dubbed once, but after Funimation saw how profitable it was of just anime with only Japanese audio, they could do just that by selling anime in Japanese only although I haven't heard Funimation doing that lately.
Secondly, the casting did surprised me as I didn't think the anime VA in L.A. were doing anime for Funimation now. Whether it was because of a deal due to Crunchyroll (before the partnership with Funimation) or something else because outsourcing. However I thought Funimation doesn't do business with L.A.? But given Funimation is awfully busy with their simuldubs, they might need to expand working with other voice actors from other places. Or create a seperate studio?
P.s. Trinity Seven also gotten a English dub as well but by Sentai Filmworks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2