• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Did Netflix Make A Decent Death Note Film?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
No [platonic] chemistry between Light and L? The entire manga condensed in 101 minutes? L made more passionate? Yeah, skipping this.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really one to watch live action adaptations of anime/manga given how many are...poorly received by critics and fans. This review definitely makes me interested in watching this one though. Mia does seem like an improvement on Misa and I'm curious to see this L. Hopefully it will be the first live action adaptation that actually seem worth watching to me.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
No [platonic] chemistry between Light and L? The entire manga condensed in 101 minutes? L made more passionate? Yeah, skipping this.

Light and L never had platonic chemistry. Light wanted L dead, and L was dead-set on proving Light was Kira.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

Light and L never had platonic chemistry. Light wanted L dead, and L was dead-set on proving Light was Kira.

Respectfully disagree. If you didn't see the chemistry between the two characters at all then nothing I will say will convince you otherwise, but I can assure you many of us who read the manga and watched the anime did. And I am not even talking about the BL tinge at all, just strictly the chemistry between them as forced friends and rivals. Even sworn enemies share a chemistry sometimes, which allows for their struggle with one another to be that more fascinating. Light and L definitely had SOMETHING.
MysteryOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

mrsticky005 wrote:
" L has been transformed from a scruffy Japanese guy in a white sweater to an African-American man in a black hoodie"

L is never once said to be Japanese in the manga or anime. The only thing we know about his background is that he grew up in England. That's it. We don't know where he was born,
who his parents were. Nothing.

Of course this doesn't disqualify him from being Japanese. But he could just as easily
be Chinese, Korean, Russian, European, American, Hell he could even be extremely light skinned African. Honestly it's up for grabs.

I could have sworn that How to Read indicates L is half-Japanese, half-white. Or was that something in the BB Murders book?

Going by Wikipedia which lists How To Read as the source: When asked about L's ethnicity, Ohba responded saying "I think of him as a quarter Japanese, a quarter English, a quarter Russian, a quarter French or Italian, like that".
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:42 am Reply with quote
Oh wow! That replica note book is a really impressive souvenir!
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:31 am Reply with quote
L being passionate is the most glaring disappointment of this review.

I was kinda expecting this Netflix's L to be somewhat energetic based on the trailer. You know this is ADAPTED from a manga, L's basically has a bigger fanbase than Kira and changing L into a loud and emotional-driven detective from the original's laid-back and logic-driven one, sums up that this film will surely gonna eat a huge backlash when the showing becomes mainstream.

Of course, patriotism might work on Westerners, but sadly... they will be minority.
Rai The Noblesse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Its already too late for Deat Note to make it big in the west on the screen..., after series like Mr Robot (antisocial hero, fighting the system, with a mysterious character in the background and a sleazy rival, like L is the main character in Mr Robot and Light is the villan/rival)..
Woomy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
razberry_yum wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

Respectfully disagree. If you didn't see the chemistry between the two characters at all then nothing I will say will convince you otherwise, but I can assure you many of us who read the manga and watched the anime did. And I am not even talking about the BL tinge at all, just strictly the chemistry between them as forced friends and rivals. Even sworn enemies share a chemistry sometimes, which allows for their struggle with one another to be that more fascinating. Light and L definitely had SOMETHING.

They both never underestimated each other's abilities, but Light had no interest in ever having any kind of emotional connection to L. He just wanted L dead no matter what.

L on the other hand seemed to be just disappointed because he knew this. We know L didn't really have the luxury for friends and is generally a rather lonely person. Getting to know Light it is pretty much obvious that he thinks that under different circumstances they could have been friends and great allies. But he also didn't allow an emotional connection obscure his view of the Light he suspected all along.

They still were enemies through and through, and both knew this. L is just a little sad about this reality, but I doubt Light really is capable of much empathy at all so he never let that get to him for the most part. He's a sociopathic megalomaniac.

Hell, even that awkward scene with the feet washing (which I know was still a reference to the Bible) to me analyzing it was L realizing he was about to die, and almost trying to appeal to any kind of humanity Light had. He didn't want to die. He didn't want it to end that way.
Woomy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
MysteryOtaku wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

mrsticky005 wrote:
" L has been transformed from a scruffy Japanese guy in a white sweater to an African-American man in a black hoodie"

L is never once said to be Japanese in the manga or anime. The only thing we know about his background is that he grew up in England. That's it. We don't know where he was born,
who his parents were. Nothing.

Of course this doesn't disqualify him from being Japanese. But he could just as easily
be Chinese, Korean, Russian, European, American, Hell he could even be extremely light skinned African. Honestly it's up for grabs.

I could have sworn that How to Read indicates L is half-Japanese, half-white. Or was that something in the BB Murders book?

Going by Wikipedia which lists How To Read as the source: When asked about L's ethnicity, Ohba responded saying "I think of him as a quarter Japanese, a quarter English, a quarter Russian, a quarter French or Italian, like that".

Which based on his appearance would also just make him generally Caucasian. He isn't Asian.

Seriously, why do people keep thinking L needed to be Japanese when the source makes it clear he's one of the few characters who isn't? The real kicker here for these angry weebs attempting to argue authenticity is the the actor Keith Stanfield, actually does hail where L is from. L is English, so is he.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Woomy wrote:
They both never underestimated each other's abilities, but Light had no interest in ever having any kind of emotional connection to L. He just wanted L dead no matter what.

That's how I feel too. My impression with Light is that he is an extremely goal-oriented character and has a completely no-nonsense personality. He dedicates every second of his waking life to using the Death Note and killing off his enemies, and he only does things not related to it to appear normal to other people.

In addition, Light believes he is better than anyone else, so he doesn't make any sort of personal bond with anyone unless they're useful to him (Misa, Mikami) or it's required to function in society (Soichiro, L), and even then you can see it's just an act. All of his feelings towards other people are either neutral or of some form of disgust. He doesn't truly like anyone.

Woomy wrote:
MysteryOtaku wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Which based on his appearance would also just make him generally Caucasian. He isn't Asian.

Seriously, why do people keep thinking L needed to be Japanese when the source makes it clear he's one of the few characters who isn't? The real kicker here for these angry weebs attempting to argue authenticity is the the actor Keith Stanfield, actually does hail where L is from. L is English, so is he.

Oh, I really like the fact that this L is black and projects a different demeanor than the original L. I just remembered wrong about L's racial ancestry.

There is this tendency for works made in Japan to have someone almost be non-Japanese but turn out to have mixed ancestry. I can see why they'd do it, and personally it's a bit annoying as it comes across as a compromise without a purpose. TV Tropes has many examples of this sort of character.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Woomy wrote:
razberry_yum wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

L on the other hand seemed to be just disappointed because he knew this. We know L didn't really have the luxury for friends and is generally a rather lonely person. Getting to know Light it is pretty much obvious that he thinks that under different circumstances they could have been friends and great allies. But he also didn't allow an emotional connection obscure his view of the Light he suspected all along.

They still were enemies through and through, and both knew this. L is just a little sad about this reality, but I doubt Light really is capable of much empathy at all so he never let that get to him for the most part. He's a sociopathic megalomaniac.

Hell, even that awkward scene with the feet washing (which I know was still a reference to the Bible) to me analyzing it was L realizing he was about to die, and almost trying to appeal to any kind of humanity Light had. He didn't want to die. He didn't want it to end that way.

Yeah, that's why I used the word "forced" in reference to their friendship because I know they both had ulterior motives. You're right in that L probably was bit more wishful/regretful about their relationship while Light was just a sociopath through and through.

My point being that they did work very well off each other when they were interacting, whatever their underlying intentions were. To say they had no chemistry just seems so wrong to me. Maybe AnimeKing was objecting to the word "platonic", although I took the original poster's (Morry) use of that word to mean that it was non-sexual, not necessarily that there was true friendship or even feelings involved.
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
razberry_yum wrote:
"That said, there's not much chemistry between L and Light as they match wits, so I don't expect a lot of BL/slash doujinshi to come out of this film."

Seriously though, homosexual undertones aside, the cautious friendship between Light and L and the way they tried to outwit each other was one of the things I liked about the original manga; it was fun and fascinating. I hope in muting the chemistry we still get some remnants of that relationship.

Based on the trailers, the approach they seem to be taking with the L vs Light relationship is very much one where Light is known to be a criminal by L and the relationship is more about cat and mouse rather than clashing ideologies of justice while pretending to be friends.

I don't think a 100 minute movie has much time to establish both characters, explore their social ideologies, and show how their ideologies can affect their relationships.

I also like the change to Misa. Although Death Note managed to make Misa somewhat sympathetic, I would much rather see a female character that agrees with Light rather than one that idolizes him (at least not in the way that Misa does),

Last edited by Gasero on Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
L and Light were never friends. They were trying to kill each other. Every interaction that they had with each other was part of an elaborate ruse or strategy to get the other off his game or otherwise make him vulnerable to further deception. The BL aspect was completely external to the story and was just fantasizing by fans of the series.

Hearing that Deb preferred this version of L is good news to me. I enjoyed L from the original anime but let's stop pretending he was a perfect character. He was one dimensional. His eccentricities were fun, but they were also an extended joke that was ultimately very shallow in the grand scheme of things. Yea, he was laid back for much of the series (though he did have his moments of becoming emotional, like when he got in a physical fight with Light), but being a laid back weirdo is not the epitome of character development. L worked in the anime because his weirdness was able to be amplified by the animation medium in ways that often surprised the audience. No one can be that cartoonishly weird in real life. Without that, L was just a smart detective with zero personality, zero complexity, and zero depth (which would make him pale in comparison to say, Sherlock Holmes.)

They executed L's anime character almost flawlessly, but again, he was not a perfect character. If the takeaway is the Stanfield's L is a much more complete character who can't benefit from the ridiculousness of a cartoon character, then I think that is a fair tradeoff.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm still perplexed why Watari got a Japanese actor despite the original character being an Englishman.

L is a mix of about three to four different nationalities, but he was anything but black.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4