• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Ancient Magus' Bride (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:20 pm Reply with quote
@Harleyquin

I think I agree with you on that. While parts of the description do not resemble Silky very well, parts of the description of a sleigh beggy do not resemble Chise very much either.

In her Diary, Silky reports that she occasionally plays pranks on the people in the house, that she tries to be seen as little as possible and that cream placed on the mantle is hers by right.

For the record, Joel's Leannan Sidhe is not a vampire as such. She is a type of muse, giving inspiration to a writer and taking blood and "life" in exchange. This type usually targets the young creative types. In some ways worse than a traditional vampire in that they don't stop until the host dies.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Well yeah on Brownies, without really looking into it earlier I had been comparing Silky to a Brownie as the most well known faerie of the household, the type that help with things like chores. So I have thought that Silky has a similar nature.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote

Magic-users get the best of both worlds: preparation for Yuletide and observing the customary practice of gift-giving on Christmas day. I wonder what the pregnant spirit riding the Centaur was about since all viewers got was a silent run through the scene, but probably something to do with the Celtic traditions of the winter solstice.

The Christmas gift hunt with Alice is more or less an excuse to shed some light into Alice's backstory. We also get to see Renfred whole and intact before "accidents" and unwanted pacts take their toll on his body.

An unexpected talent Elias possesses. If one told me at the start that he was skilled at creating the gift he presented to Chise I would have laughed at the thought since he doesn't strike me as the type. Perhaps it's unsurprising that it's the suggestion of one of his brethren (the child Angelica) which led him to practice. With his understanding of human needs and wants but without the empathy to pursue them autonomously it's reasonable to think he'd keep up his little hobby through the years.

The pair of siblings featuring next week got cameos at the end of this episode but it looks like Ash Eye needs one of them for some purpose. I wonder if he's playing the role Cartaphilus did in the first season.

Although Elias said his home was in the South of England, Chise's departure from Paddington Station and the amount of snow she got in her surroundings suggests they're probably closer if not within the Welsh highlands.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:49 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
I wonder what the pregnant spirit riding the Centaur was about since all viewers got was a silent run through the scene, but probably something to do with the Celtic traditions of the winter solstice.

Based on how some character earlier in the episode mentioned someone called the Horned god, I think that might have been him. I was theorizing earlier that Oberon’s character was inspired mostly by the figure, but I did get a bit of a hint that he might appear later on the story and that seems here. I was aware that it is mostly supposed to be more beastly nature, but just checking the wiki mentions a sort of duality of the figure that includes being both summer and winter. The one on his back would no doubt then be the mother goddess, which I was also earlier suspecting as Titania was.

Interesting for note was checking the wiki brought up a story where are things like him impregnating her will die in the fall, but be reborn on the winter solstice by some figure called the goddess of yule. I never really thought about it, but I wonder if the horned god has relation to the origins of Krampus, which would fit the being careful of around that time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:08 am Reply with quote
Some interesting parallels between Chise/Elias and Alice/Renfred. Both girls were "rescued" from miserable childhoods by an emotionally reticient magic user/sorcerer who wasn't motivated by pity but by awareness that the girl had potential for magic/sorcerer studies. It was never stated explicitly, but I got the sense that the vial of orange liquid that Renfred had, which crystallized in Alice's presence, was some kind of sorcerer litmus test indicating potential. Both girls have become attached to their "masters", although Alice seems ahead in that game. Probably both a combination of personality types and the fact that Alice has been an apprentice for longer explain the difference.

Visually, this show continues to look like a gorgeous postcard you can stare at for hours just appreciating all the beautiful bits.
Suldrun45

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:56 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
I wonder what the pregnant spirit riding the Centaur was about since all viewers got was a silent run through the scene, but probably something to do with the Celtic traditions of the winter solstice.

He is probably linked to Cernunnos, the horned god of celtic legends, a god of fertility (together with the Mother-Goddess) and of the afterlife.
It's a myth akin to the greek Hades/Persephone couple.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
I didn't quite get the comments made by those two random dudes when Alice and Chise were eating in that cafe/restaurant. They said like "They're eating. They're really digging in". Uhh... ok? They weren't even eating a lot. They were just eating. What the heck was that all about?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I agree. I think the idea was that they were perplexed by two slender females eating a lot of food but the visuals didn't match the concept.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote

A few takeaways this episode has made a considerable effort to impart on viewers:

1. Be careful what you wish for since you never know who might be listening.
2. Blood is thicker than water.
3. 口は禍の元 (The mouth is the font of all disaster)

As for other stuff raised in this episode, it seems Chise's main life-threatening problem is resolved in the short-term thanks to her Christmas gifts. The stuffed toy looks like it's going to be exceptionally useful in the long run as a substitute for Elias providing Chise with a regular supply of pocket money.

Ash Eye REALLY hates humans and places Chise and Elias at a slightly higher (if barely perceptible) level than the scum he sees humans as equivalent to. He is fair though and gave Chise the hint and the tools required to make the contest "fair".

Comparing Chise at episode one and Chise as she is now, she would almost certainly have reacted differently to Stella's declaration she'd made a new friend.

Next week's trailer looks and sounds interesting. It looks like Elias has also grown emotionally and has learnt what humans refer to as "jealousy" and "possessiveness". Caterphilus is going to make his reappearance (I think) and Ruth is probably going to have clean up the resulting mess on his own.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
It was pretty much turning into a horror fairy tale there.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote

Well done Elias. You've now experienced first-hand what humans refer to as "jealousy". No idea why it knocks out him so much that Chise has to ask Angelica for help to get him back to consciousness though.

The Kurnous and Earth Mother silent scene got a bonus from this week's guest neighbour. It seems it's a continuous cycle of birth in mid-winter before rapid maturation to the next birthing period. No idea what the exact legend is, but I'm sure there's references to it if I look hard enough.

I wonder if the teddy bears Elias practices with every year were for Angelica and her daughter. It's a good excuse to introduce Angelica's family and the understanding husband who has accepted his lot in life and the fate in store for him and his family.

Caterphilus gets his brief cameo this week stealing dragons for chimera ingredients. It appears next week is going to explore his back story. What should worry Elias and Chise is Caterphilus and Ash Eye working together for some purpose.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote
May as well just repost what I put in the episode review thread:

Well, I have to say I found episode 18 pretty disturbing. It's not that I have been unaware of the less than healthy aspects of Chise and Elias's relationship nor the dangers she is routinely put in as she studies magic. However, this episode really drove home what a thoroughly dangerous creature Elias is to her safety. Honestly, after this episode it's pretty hard not to think Chise should not be living with something like him. Course that would kinda blow story-wise...

I mean, Chise literally had to threaten self-harm to get Elias to snap out of it. Not healthy. I hope the show does justice to this incident, but I get the impression the plan is just to sweep it under the carpet. Hope I'm wrong.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:32 am Reply with quote
Elias kind of came across as a big baby. That term usually applies to someone who throws a fit and cries, but I put that more in the area of him be overwrought by feelings of jealousy that he acted out in a way that is without awareness of that feeling and being selfish out of a lack of empathy. People do think of babies as innocent, but a lot of the time they lack empathy that they are unable to connect their own feelings to others, and that was kind of what I was getting out of Elias, right now he has the empathy of an infant, which hopefully he could grow. Also, totally Chise sort of treating him like one after the whole thing seeming to exhausting him that she sang him a lullaby, which Chise seemed to by accident put magic into and maybe trap him in a sleeping spell.

Will say that there were a number of humorous moments where they do the deformed thing, like when they came into his room and Chise applied the medicine.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote

It took me up to the end of the dream sequence to figure out what was going on. Thinking back to the start of the second quarter when Ash Eye was talking about how much he was looking forward to seeing Chise go as far as her ability would take her, I now know what he was referring to after seeing the end of the episode.

Pacing is quick and there are more questions than answers. The College makes its entrance while the auction house which sold Chise off is back in the spotlight. I suspect the Dragon hatchling was allowed to escape through third-party intervention, possibly the mysterious "convenient woman" who can communicate exclusively with Chise without Elias getting involved.

I don't know if next week will resolve this story arc, but some answers on the questions posed this week would be appreciated.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Now she wants to live throw in a curse to shorten a already short life span! Dark, semi dark and now looks like it’s going full dark!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 13