• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Ancient Magus' Bride (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote

I don't know if this is a trend which the series is setting up, but all magic users who aren't Elias and his ilk seem to be devious, two-timing practitioners who are hostile to the "traditionalists" and have no qualms doing unethical things to further their research.

Quite a few super-deformed scenes for comedy this week. Not sure about the effect since I find it rather disjointing for the flow of the episode.

I'm not sure what the difference was in the end. The ooze wished for complete negation, the cat offered to guide them as her final action while Chise's choice seemed to spare the cat from leaving the world prematurely. I suppose there is a subtle difference between "annihilation" and "moving on" even though both have the exact same result of removing the ooze problem permanently.

It seems next episode carries on from this one as Chise recovers from her exertions (nice job for a first exorcism) and gets unexpected visitors. I wonder when the black-haired gent in the OP animation is going to make his appearance, we're now a third of the way through the adaptation and haven't seen hide nor hair of him so far.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:43 am Reply with quote
Well I think it looks like it might be a case that sorcerers are for people, and do not hold respect for non-human people regardless of their ability to think. The one in the past probably thought she was dying anyway, and could at least be of use for his experiment, while the two in the modern day don't even think of the blob as being more that a tool they can use, despite it used to being a human. Neither that the fairy shouldn't be hurt, and that Elias' non-human nature could actually still be of support to Chise, who has somewhat been abandoned by humans who turned against her for being different.

The sorcerers maybe have the nature of quantifying the forces of magic, but in doing so they miss the emotional part.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:27 am Reply with quote
Wow, sorcerers really are scum.

@ Harleyquin - I was a little confused about the deal with getting rid of the corruption, too, but I think it goes something like this:

Option 1 - annihilation. This, I think, means that Mina and Matthew would not be able to be reborn.

Option 2 - Cat guides them to a place where their souls can be reborn, but dies with them.

Option 3 - Mina and Matthew are sent to a place where they can be reborn without needing the cat to sacrifice her life.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:30 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Quote:
Wow, sorcerers really are scum.

Well, some are some are not. They are basically just human with all that implies. Now the "young boy" who instructed Matthew, I think scum rather understates the case. For the others, wait and see.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote
I consider the dude with the iron glove and his blonde helper to be scum. So out of three sorcerers we've been introduced to so far, three of them are scum. WAKE UP AND SMELL THE SCUM!!! Wink
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

With regard to the iron glove, it is intended to be defensive and you will note that it didn't harm the "neighbor". Keep in mind what Elias said about the neighbors. Even when they want to be helpful their actions are not always for the best, and they don't always want to be helpful. As for the rest, wait and see.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:39 pm Reply with quote

If magic-wielders like Elias and his brethren are ancient and have lifespans far beyond that of normal humans, does that extend to their antithesis practitioners? The couple who departed last week were from the pre-modern era, yet the one who got them into that state is still alive and apparently commissioned Renfred to collect the ooze. Not just that, he seems to make another appearance next week (which also sees the introduction of the Black Dog who is in the OP animation).

Elias was surprisingly honest in his confession to Chise, but she's so starved of emotional care she'll stay by his side regardless. I'm not sure any other personality would be willing to stay by Elias's side having heard what he had to say.

Titania looks like a well-endowed version of the fairy queen English readers are familiar with from Shakespeare, but that husband of hers is more like Pan both in his character design and his personality. She's not fond of the humans who worship the foreign monotheistic God but is indulgent towards all subject to her rule and dominion.

I don't quite understand the rules governing Elias and his veil. He typically wears it when going out and facing visitors, but will take it off in the presence of his brethren or important personages like Titania who command respect. Yet the final scene saw him and Simon talk to each other with the veil off. The pair go back a decade but the last time the two met in Elias's house Elias had his veil on. Is he just lazy to put it back on again, meeting Simon unexpectedly on the way back giving him no time to re-equip it or is the veil just a matter of personal fashion for the bone-head?

Last edited by Harleyquin on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:07 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Titania looks like a well-endowed version of the fairy queen English readers are familiar with from Shakespeare, but that husband of hers is more like Pan both in his character design and his personality. She's not fond of the humans who worship the foreign monotheistic God but is indulgent towards all subject to her rule and dominion.

I won't pretend to know a lot about legends of Oberon and Titania directly, but from a different view I can see their similarities to chief pagan or wiccan gods; Cernunnos, or the horned god, and the Triple goddess or the Mother goddess. The triple goddess was supposed to be made up of a maiden a mother and a crone, a representation of the female life cycle along with phases of the moon, even in modern Wicca circles is particularly connected to the idea of a mother, which works with Titania's very motherly behaviour. Or even her really pale appearance and dark hair as the moon.

Oberon feeling more like a pan is apt, as they both represent the same thing that Cernunnos does, wilderness, a sort of chaotic part of nature, and somewhat including things like lust. You specifically actually have to hand it to church for actually using the image of this god as an idea of what Satan looked like, taking a pagan god and saying that he litereally the devil. That is where we get all imagery of things of the devil having things like the head of a horned animal like a goat, or cloven hooves. Which creates odd appearance similarities for things like devil worship, and other forms of Wicca worship.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote

Another multi-episode story arc and one which throws up a few questions while answering some posed in the last few episodes.

About time Elias got round to teaching his apprentice. She's more capable of defending herself, although that scene at the end shows she still needs watching over.

So it appears Renfred and Alice are under duress by the mysterious white-haired wandering practitioner. The latter is keen on the former, while the former for all his character faults has his standards but doesn't have the strength to stand up to the one who claimed his arm.

The legend of the Black Dog is an old one and off-hand I don't remember the exact details. What little I do remember tells me it's an old English or Celtic tale which has been used recently in the Harry Potter franchise. It appears the series creator has done her homework though.

First time viewers have seen Elias angry. Not sure if it'll do anything to help his wounded apprentice since his powers are not well suited for healing. Regardless, it seems Chise isn't dead based on next week's trailer and has an important role to play before Ulysse can join Elias' household. All the talk about a familiar suggests he's going to be assigned to Chise as one, he'll probably agree since Chise reminds him so much of his departed sister.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, holy crap. Ever since I saw angry Elias in the opening I've been waiting for the episode where we'll actually see Elias get angry. I'm not disappointed, that was cool. Really looking forward to the next episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, sort of reminds me of the whole, "you wouldn't like me when I'm angry" thing. Gotta say that Elias is not going to get the Mage of the Year award if he continually lets Chise get hurt. Here's hoping that shitty "kid" gets his ass whupped next week.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote

Probably the best episode this series has aired to date. There's something for everyone who likes aspects of this show one way or another. The only thing I'm uncertain of is the heavy use of the super-deformed form for the comedy effect since it's quite jarring when it's implemented.

So the white-haired one has a name. Don't call him Caterphilus or he's likely to claim one of your body parts for his chimera experiments. What background info anime-only viewers have just seen is scanty at best, but it's clear he's been around for a VERY long time and has developed that personality of his probably as a result of his millennia on the planet. The supposed curse probably doesn't help matters. That being the case, it's surprising he's NOT one of Elias' brethren so the school of learned magic as a manipulative science is much older than at first glance.

Renfred looks like the type of character who could do well in the bounty hunting or assassin business. Marrying his techniques with modern firearms isn't the most novel concept, but even he has to raise his hands and give up the ghost when enhanced bullets don't even stop his target for more than a few minutes.

A change of pace for next week as it looks like the show isn't done introducing its core ensemble of characters to the uninitiated. I don't think viewers have seen the last of Caterphilus/Joseph though, especially if the series is successful enough to pay for another season.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I was a bit perturbed that everyone just accepted Chise's having a hole ripped through her body. Even more, she seemed remarkably unfazed by the event. Must be those miraculous Sleigh Beggy healing powers. I wished the writers had focused more on this fact after they set it up with the cliff-hanger in the last episode. Her surprising recovery seemed more like "plot armor" than anything else.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:07 am Reply with quote
I like that Chise did not really see Elias any differently after seeing his true form, simply agreeing that him turning into his more humanoid shape would be preferable so that he could fit in through the door. Regardless of how he might have looked, he was not some mindless monster, the way he acted was from caring about Chise, and it is sweet that Chise sees that. Caterphilus on the other hand, he is a total monster, something that betrays his human appearance, and is barely the inhuman parts that had him surviving the damage, but while Elias' aspect looks like part of his origin, Caterphilus' is probably just evidence of monstrous things he has done.

And back on Elias' rampage, he might be in good company, what with how we also saw Chise start to rampage from complete anger in the real monster. Along with Ruth too, who has also joined the group.
Suldrun45

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
If you want to know more about Cartaphilus, he's a character from christian folklore, best known as the wandering jew https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wandering_Jew[/url]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13