• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Gungrave, Fractale, OniAi, Scrapped Princess Anime to Catalog

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:55 am Reply with quote
Gungrave was released by Geneon not Bandai...

Gungrave, Fractale, Scrapped Princess... all good titles and worth checking out.

OniAi.. just awkward.. a local anime club made the mistake of viewing this without doing any looking into it.. didn't get very far.
DDragonking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:04 am Reply with quote
Yet still no Symphogear
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:11 am Reply with quote
Last Funimation streaming title to migrate to Crunchyroll, don't forget to turn out the lights.

That said, it's nice to see some of these back catalog titles get a day in the sun with articles like this. Scrapped Princess is a title I've long meant to check out.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quote
For anybody interested in getting into Gungrave: don't watch the first episode. It is intended for people who have already played the PS2 game, and also spoils the plot of the show's next 13 episodes.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Last Funimation streaming title to migrate to Crunchyroll, don't forget to turn out the lights.

Are you by any chance implying that Funimation is in trouble with all their titles going to Crunchyroll, and that in a few months (unless you are a dub only person) there will be zero incentive to subscribe to their service? I have also wondered if Funimation is in deep trouble, but I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and believe that associating with Crunchyroll was their best business decision option.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
Nice, Gungrave and Scrapped Princess were already on my watch list, so I guess I should get on those.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
If you guys haven't already watched them, you should watch Gungrave and OniAi. Both very good and entertaining series.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
For anybody interested in getting into Gungrave: don't watch the first episode. It is intended for people who have already played the PS2 game, and also spoils the plot of the show's next 13 episodes.

Episodes 2-14 are mandatory viewing for anyone who is getting into this show. Everything else is just game fluff but episode 26 also deserves a viewing as it is one of the best endings I've ever seen in an anime series. Wink
angelmcazares wrote:
Are you by any chance implying that Funimation is in trouble with all their titles going to Crunchyroll, and that in a few months (unless you are a dub only person) there will be zero incentive to subscribe to their service? I have also wondered if Funimation is in deep trouble, but I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and believe that associating with Crunchyroll was their best business decision option.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no benefit of the doubt to give FUNimation here. This company got to where it is today as a result of throwing previous generations of anime fans under the bus to appease new generations as part of their "the ends justify the means" business tactics. If the business went under the next day and Gen Fukunaga got hit by an 18-wheeler, I wouldn't shed a tear.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I too give recommendations for Gungrave & Scrapped Princess.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote

I disagree. The first episode is full of WTF moments, and if you're the sort of person that thinks it cool (or weird) enough to want to know what is going on, then you'll watch further. If the first episode turns you off of the series, then it's probably for the best if you don't waste your time watching any further. I think Ep. 1 is a pretty good hook for the series.

BTW, I prefer both Gungrave and Scrapped Princess dubbed, so I hope that Funimation isn't going anywhere, as CR is pretty much sub-only.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I disagree. The first episode is full of WTF moments, and if you're the sort of person that thinks it cool (or weird) enough to want to know what is going on, then you'll watch further.

Normally, I would agree, but in the case of Gungrave, all of those WTF moments are followed by an entire coeur of melodramatic pretty boy gangster episodes. In context, it makes sense, but at the time it was a massive tonal whiplash, and I'd argue that there are a lot of people who might be turned off by the first episode, but would otherwise be really captivated by episodes 2-14 (enough to stick around when things get really crazy in the show's second half).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:08 am Reply with quote
The dub for Scrapped Princesses is really good, one of Bandais, why can't they have that as an option. They have the dub for GTO and Ghost Stories.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:51 am Reply with quote
Normally, I would agree, but in the case of Gungrave, all of those WTF moments are followed by an entire coeur of melodramatic pretty boy gangster episodes. In context, it makes sense, but at the time it was a massive tonal whiplash, and I'd argue that there are a lot of people who might be turned off by the first episode, but would otherwise be really captivated by episodes 2-14 (enough to stick around when things get really crazy in the show's second half).

True. I just think that if you missed the 1st ep and watched hours of the show only to see it turn into a bunch of crazy stuff, you might be more annoyed at having invested your time into it and feel as if the anime misled you as to what it is about.

At any rate, those who read this exchange can decide for themselves. I think there's something to be said for either approach.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:53 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
At any rate, those who read this exchange can decide for themselves. I think there's something to be said for either approach.

Absolutely, there's no real "right way" to watch it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1