• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Real Anime Inspirations Behind the Creations of Re:Creators

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickPenrhyn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the article Gabbo! This line of speculation is one of the most fun parts of this show for me - it's really fun to picture an alternate Re:CREATORS with their real-world fictional counterparts xD

I agree with the vast majority of these, Alicetaria specifically. I think other influences that came to mind to me for her were Claymore and Attack on Titan, but as an extent of the apocalyptic aspect Berserk and Fate/Stay Night.

I have to mention Danganronpa for Magane Chikujoin though, because in the re-cap episode Meteora tells us her story is set in "Korougamine Academy" where an incident occurred and an entire class was murdererd. I don't think there's a more specific nod in the entire show xD Not to mention the way she operates is almost a 1:1 Junko Enoshima in Danganronpa 3

As an easter egg, the second half of the song 2109-a8Ru件 (Track 8) on the Re:CREATORS soundtrack, Hiroyuki Sawano samples the acoustic from the Danganronpa theme for the backing, unless I'm crazy.

I think another direct aspect of influence is for Hikayu Hoshimiya, and it's Ui Nakatsugawa from the visual novel A Bridge To The Starry Sky. The 'Starry Sky' series is actually kind of well-known overall, and it seems like something that Rei Hiroe would probably have been into... just a hunch xD

In the episode interviews that Sunday Webry had with the staff, Rei Hiroe does mention Shinji Ikari as one influence for Rui Kanoya, just thought I should add that since it's the rare name that they actually mention.
https://www.sunday-webry.com/events/re_creators_naked/interview11/

I'm eagerly awaiting the finale - the build-up episodes are fine, and the show sure is thirsty, but I want to see the resolution! (please stick the landing xD)
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:36 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

I already knew about Shinji, and have been hoping ever since then, that when they dub the show, they cast the girl who voiced him in the English dub to voice Rui Kanoya.

Eh, Shinji in the English dub is voiced by a male voice actor. (Spike Spencer)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:08 am Reply with quote
Meteora has kept kind of given me a feeling of the look of Robin from Fire Emblem.

Plus her analytical mind also makes me think of Robin's tactician personality.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:52 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

I already knew about Shinji, and have been hoping ever since then, that when they dub the show, they cast the girl who voiced him in the English dub to voice Rui Kanoya.

Eh, Shinji in the English dub is voiced by a male voice actor. (Spike Spencer)
Has no one of the internet ever heard of a joke.
Rokk3000

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 16 showed Vogelchevalier, so that's one wish granted. And the big climax is underway, but there's a hint that Altair knows there's a trap set for her. Or maybe she's just paranoid/extra untrusting. Either way, there may be some twists and turns in this series yet. I like it, though my roommate dropped the series after a half dozen episodes. His loss.
Mikasa_su_casa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:

I've said this before and I'll say it again: If we don't get any spinoff anime or manga titles from Re:Creators, I will be very disappointed.

+1 to that, I would read the heck out of Magane's source material if it was real.
HandofBobb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:37 am Reply with quote
To me, Selesia's appearance distinctly reminds me of Shion from Xenosaga
Their outfits even have similar elements of dark blue and tan.[img][/img]
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:37 am Reply with quote
These "series within a series" could help boost the "Re:Creators" popularity if they get actual manga or light novel adaptations.
Necramesh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
So, this has bothered me for the past three episodes since I started reading reviews. I love this article but I do need to point out something I haven't seen mentioned anywhere at all. People assume that Meteora is a tutorial character. But the show itself directly implies otherwise early on. I just rewatched the first 5 minutes of episode 2. During which Sota recognizes Meteora based on her name. Stating
Quote:
That's right before the last area.
He also mentions that after she gives her quote from the game that he was told he would no longer be able to save. All this implies that she can't be a tutorial NPC if she primarily appears just before the final level. What we do know is that she is the keeper of a important sounding library. Which is why I think that she acts that way.
yugandasekai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:08 am Reply with quote
She's neither a creation nor a creator, but Kikuchihara Aki reminds me A LOT of police chief Kirihara Misaki from Darker than BLACK - her name, physical appearance, clothing, occupation, everything.
mnordhoff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
As a further Fate/Zero connection, Kikuchihara shares a voice actress with Fate/Zero's "serious, dark-haired, dark-outfitted woman" Hisau Maiya. But those two characters aren't really similar beyond that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3