• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fairy Tail Creator Hiro Mashima Celebrates Manga's End

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to Hiro on the ending of FT. I didn't think it would last this long, but he did it. While I do prefer Rave over FT, FT was pretty good as well. Well, that's obvious considering it lasted this long. lol Anyway, I look forward to your next work with even more top notch service to the fans.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
There's probably going to be another artbook as well, to collect the remaining illustrations.
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
It was a really weak ending. The whole last arc was just painful to read. What is it with long running shonens and bad endings!??! Why is this so common!??!

And Hiro-sensei proved he could do a great ending in Rave Master so what the hell happened with Fairy Tail here!??!?!
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
SpaceTheGamer wrote:
It was a really weak ending. The whole last arc was just painful to read. What is it with long running shonens and bad endings!??! Why is this so common!??!

And Hiro-sensei proved he could do a great ending in Rave Master so what the hell happened with Fairy Tail here!??!?!

The ending was fine. Also you might have thought Rave was great at teh end but Mashima himself has said he didn't really like the ending and looking back it felt too depressing and to much of a downer for an ending, which is why Fairy Tail's ending and theme has always been about posiativity.

I always love how Mashima seems to have so much passion for his work, he's always drawing extra pages and twitter doodles, he just seems to love what he does. It's a nice change from some of the other authors out there who it feels like always do the bare minimum or take time off for sickness and don't seem to be in a rush to get back in a timely manner.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I liked the ending. There are parts that did make me quite a bit frustrated, some of it related to the final arc of the series, but overall I was pleased enough with the ending to not let it ruin the series for me.

Congrats once again, Mashima-sensei. I look forward to more of your works - with some of them being more Fairy Tail with filling in the open ends that the ending didn't cover - in the future!
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[How was there no natsu and lucy kiss scene at the end? Pretty shocked by that one.]
TokyoSplash

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to thank him for all his hard work on honestly one of my favorite series ever this October at NYCC. I'm going to get my favorite volume signed and hopefully I'll be able to show him the small Fairy Tail tattoo I'm getting. I genuinely can't wait!
A Man named RJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

It's a nice change from some of the other authors out there who it feels like always do the bare minimum or take time off for sickness and don't seem to be in a rush to get back in a timely manner.

Please;
Mashima couldn't tell a story from his left thumb. His art is boring - all action and tits no substance. He suffers from a worse version of Eiichiro Oda's Female look-alike syndrome than Oda himself does. Mashima only cares about bland rule of cool, with no regard for story or even decent panel layout. Mashima's methods are the bare minimum.

Oda takes his breaks because he was clearly over-working and continues to do so and his editors told him to calm down. This only came about after OP was regarded as having some of the best storytelling in Shonen Jump's history. He worked so hard he drew chapters in the Hospital [confirmed by Misashi Kishimoto] your statement makes absolutely no sense, what Mashima does is not new at all.

The only serious exceptions are Yoshihiro Togashi, (sick) Daisuke Ashihara (Sick) and Hiromu Arakawa (mother was sick and she had to take a hiatus) Kentaro Miura (unknown) and finally, Gosho Aoyama (surgery and is now back) everyone else gives it their all +100.

Look at Yusuke Murata. Dude streams his drawing the manga. Gosho Aoyoma is credited as an animation director in the detective Conan movies.Oda writes, and directs the modern one piece movies, and supervises specials.

{Edit}:Cut the disgusting and trollish comments. ~ Psycho 101
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
A Man named RJ wrote:

Please;
Mashima couldn't tell a story from his left thumb. His art is boring - all action and tits no substance. He suffers from a worse version of Eiichiro Oda's Female look-alike syndrome than Oda himself does. Mashima only cares about bland rule of cool, with no regard for story or even decent panel layout. Mashima's methods are the bare minimum.

Oda takes his breaks because he was clearly over-working and continues to do so and his editors told him to calm down. This only came about after OP was regarded as having some of the best storytelling in Shonen Jump's history. your statement makes absolutely no sense, what Mashima does is not new at all.

The only serious exceptions are Yoshihiro Togashi, (sick) Daisuke Ashihara (Sick) and Hiromu Arakawa (mother was sick and she had to take a hiatus) Kentaro Miura (unknown) and finally, Gosho Aoyama (surgery and is now back) everyone else gives it their all +100.

Look at Yusuke Murata. Dude streams his drawing the manga. Gosho Aoyoma is credited as an animation director in the detective Conan movies.Oda writes, and directs the modern one piece movies, and supervises specials.

Mashima's stories are fine, people just take Shounen stories way to seriously now because of One Piece.

Mashima draws as much as Murata just in less detail, and Oda doesn't direct the movies he's merely a supervising producer, her just provides a story and some sketches.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Mashima's stories are fine, people just take Shounen stories way to seriously now because of One Piece.

No, they take them serious because they want them to be good.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

No, they take them serious because they want them to be good.

I think I may have been misinterpreted. My point was more so that now a days people want these Shounen with long sprawling stories and interconnected arcs and characters, that was something that One Piece really revolutionized. Mashima took elements of that kind of story telling but on the whole his story isn't as deep as some others.

If you look back at the age of Shounen like Dragon Ball story was secondary to fighting, in DB each arc is relativity self contained, you can jump in at any point an pretty much understand the situation. One Piece changed that to make things be more interconnected and character driven now.

Mashima came around with Fairy Tail just when that type of storytelling in Shounen was taking off so he has flashes of both, there are elements of an interconnected story but each arc is still relatively self contained and allows entry at pretty much any point prior to the final arc.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
This is so painful to read. I was about to drop it before entering the last 2 final arcs, but the thought of I've been reading it for years since that time made me unable to drop it and just tolerated the content all the way to the end.

Seriously, the ending was barely fine. Natsu and Lucy are not Haru and Elie, thus I am very fine with them settling for an ambiguous couple status. The other couples in the end was so forced it's horrible and lastly, the manga's theme "Nakama Power", I'm glad I won't be seeing Mashima's characters holding each other's hands to defeat a major boss.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
At least we can still enjoy fan comics like Magic Muscle!
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

I think I may have been misinterpreted. My point was more so that now a days people want these Shounen with long sprawling stories and interconnected arcs and characters, that was something that One Piece really revolutionized. Mashima took elements of that kind of story telling but on the whole his story isn't as deep as some others.

If you look back at the age of Shounen like Dragon Ball story was secondary to fighting, in DB each arc is relativity self contained, you can jump in at any point an pretty much understand the situation. One Piece changed that to make things be more interconnected and character driven now.

Mashima came around with Fairy Tail just when that type of storytelling in Shounen was taking off so he has flashes of both, there are elements of an interconnected story but each arc is still relatively self contained and allows entry at pretty much any point prior to the final arc.

He took a LOT more than just story elements from One Piece, y'know.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Ft really should have been done by the demon arc...After that point it all went soo downhill.
Goodbye Ft, honestly Just from seeing forums, comments and videos I can say about 65% percent of the readers/fans will actaully miss Fairy Tail. The others not so much.

At least it ended waaay quicker then the great Works of One Piece with its still 10 year or less journey to the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2