• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What's Really Going On In A Centaur's Life?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:25 am Reply with quote
Why must you people make EVERYTHING political? Why can't I just enjoy an anime without people bringing up politics ALL THE TIME? You people are obsessed...
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
Genetics, the manga does cover this in some detail. It works, mostly. It can go wrong, badly.

Their world appears to have had, if possible, a worse time with discrimination than we've had, so they are really touchy about it. Never mind that some of the races regard others as food. The presentation of these issues is "matter of factual" flat in the manga as well.

Mark Gosdin
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Did I miss something? I thought the show made it perfectly clear twice that there was financial aid available for merfolk who want mobility devices, and that was a matter of some controversy. This is the second time on this site that people think the show said that there wasn't any.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
You missed the fact that there not "2 angels and 3 catgirls" in class rep's family. In fact, there are "1 angel, 3 catgirls and one angel-catgirl hybrid".
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Why can't I just enjoy an anime without people bringing up politics ALL THE TIME?

Probably stop watching anime with people who want to talk about politics while you watch anime.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Why must you people make EVERYTHING political? Why can't I just enjoy an anime without people bringing up politics ALL THE TIME? You people are obsessed...

Sometimes this is a valid complaint, but the author actually does make Centaur's Worries political.

As far as political commentary goes, I'd say that it's somewhat unusual in that it tries to be as neutral as humanely possible. I'd say that the society seems to have more positives than negatives, but that's only because of the extreme circumstances the world is in, having multiple sapient species and such. I don't think the author necessarily believes that a left-totalitarian government is the best form of government of this world. While a lot of good political commentary tend to show that both sides of the coins have positives and minuses, they usually obviously lean one way or another. Centaur's Worries is arguably too neutral for some people, but I think that it's charming in its own way.

Oh, and Magical Girl Pretty Horn would make a great villain against a patriotic comic book superhero. I would say Captain America, but he's been a little off recently in the comics, putting it mildly.
melmouth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

Yep.

The creator of the manga had fun with the idea of sentient animal-humans living together, both in term of they they'd interact personally, and how their society would try to keep them from killing each other. That's all that need be said—except wait for the fun surprises and mysteries.
Tomchic420

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What's Really Going On In A Centaur's Life?

Some lesbianism is what's going on. The reason why I'm not watching this. Confused
sputn1k

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
The youngest sister is afflicted by a genetic mutation, giving her both cat folk and angel folk traits (she has the halo, wings AND a cat tail and small ears). She also makes cute cat-like sounds. Normally offspring in their world has only one set of traits, either that of the father or the mother. Those with genetic mutations leading to a mixture of traits are usually of weak health (like the little sister). This is explained in much more detail in the manga.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
The surest sign that the show wants us to think it's an anti-utopia was the utilitarian magical girl. This is a world where magical girl shows are written by an antipode of Urobuchi, of course it's a hellhole Very Happy

But yeah, seriously, the noncommittal social commentary does weird me out. Maybe it would have been easier to digest if this show had aired at a time when my Facebook feed was a bit less polarized.

(Now that I think of it, the feeling I get from this show is probably a very good approximation of what discussing politics with me must feel like to my colleagues and relatives, since my usual strategy is to appear well-informed about the debate without actually divulging my own position, and then try to steer the conversation in a more humorous direction)

Jacob wrote:
...by far the most watchable Chinese copro I've seen so far.
Took me a minute to realize that "copro" was short for "co-production" and not the Greek root Laughing
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the issues discussed today. A Centaur's Life has a certain habit of depicting enforced anti-discriminatory policies as being little better than the original discrimination in response to which they were instated, or at least, its critical lens falls most eagerly on the former. As a certain mainstream animated comedy has demonstrated, framing political correctness in this way can mollify or even galvanise audiences with rather horrid views, and while any such consequences may be fully unintentional, the onus still lies on the writers—as it does on all commentators—to make their opposition to such groups evident.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
A good point. Considering nuance and tradeoffs is a real mistake when it comes to politics. All should declare their uncompromising loyalty to the party line.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Did I miss something? I thought the show made it perfectly clear twice that there was financial aid available for merfolk who want mobility devices, and that was a matter of some controversy. This is the second time on this site that people think the show said that there wasn't any.
Yeah, she mentions that there is financial aid for it and that is why the TV debate was kind of heated. It is funny though since a few blogs got it wrong as well and got really angry about it.
LadyKuzunoha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

Sometimes this is a valid complaint, but the author actually does make Centaur's Worries political.

My thoughts exactly. When politics play a part in a story, political discussion is to be expected. And whether or not anyone wants to admit it, this story does involve politics when it talks about the government of this alternate world, their idea of equality, and how they decide to handle things when their citizens don't behave in accordance with this ideal. Politics are in this story regardless of whether the author intended to make a political statement.

encrypted12345 wrote:
Oh, and Magical Girl Pretty Horn would make a great villain against a patriotic comic book superhero. I would say Captain America, but he's been a little off recently in the comics, putting it mildly.

Putting it mildly, indeed. There's exploring different facets of a character, and then there's going against a character's core beliefs for shock value.
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Have no idea what this anime is about or why. Thought I did but it just sorta meanders about, slinging politics at you and at the same time, making fun of the politics it promotes. Think I might be done with it. Gave it a chance...characters are dull and jokes are repetitive. The only high point being the cat man/mermaid girl segment. Honestly they could have made the story about those two and it would be interesting. But instead we've got the yuri troop that pretty much does nothing.

Sorry just, those summers of yuri years and years ago just ruined me for anime that have a majority female cast. The only one I can stomach from that era is Symphogear and even then, it's borderline between moments of cringeworthy storytelling. That era ruined Last Exile with Silver Wing. Full female cast, so full of cliche in the writing, only one of them behaving like a sane person. <3 Dian.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2