• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Pictures TV to Acquire Majority Stake in Funimation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
After hearing this, I'm wondering what will be the next anime distributor to be purchased by a corporate empire. Whether it's Sentai, Discotek, Aniplex, or even Viz Media. And what's gonna happen to Crunchyroll?

Whatever happens, I just hope Funimation continues casting some of my favorite voice actors/actresses in Texas (for example: Todd Haberkorn, Monica Rial, Cherami Leigh, Colleen Clinkenbeard, Alexis Tipton, Brittney Karbowski, Tia Ballard, Jamie Marchi, Josh Grelle, Greg Ayres, Luci Christian, just to name a few).
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
After hearing this, I'm wondering what will be the next anime distributor to be purchased by a corporate empire. Whether it's Sentai, Discotek, Aniplex, or even Viz Media. And what's gonna happen to Crunchyroll?

For the time being, it seems the answer is nothing. However, we'll probably just have to wait and see. We don't know when or if the CR/Funi partnership has any expiration date, although the migration of subbed content from Funi to CR makes me think that it was intended to last for quite some time, and Sony would have to honor existing contracts.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:

Aniplex and Viz are already part of corporate empires (Sony and Hitotsubashi respectively). As for Crunchyroll, The Chernin Group and AT&T have major stakes in the company.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
Discotek is too small to be worth much to large corporations, Aniplex USA is owned by Aniplex Japan (which itself rakes in MASSIVE sales yearly as I pointed out earlier in the thread), which is owned by Sony Music Entertainment Japan, so they're already owned by a big conglomerate as that's owned by Sony. VIZ Media doesn't do anime often enough for them to really be sought after despite their big titles (Naruto, Bleach, Sailor Moon) as they focus more on manga. Sentai Filmworks, things are not looking too good given how they responded to FUNiroll by teaming up with Amazon, and ditching TAN to launch HiDive as if that's going to do anything. I'd be curious if their titles are actually truly doing anything on Anime Strike because of the double paywall.
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
But doesn't Sony get involved in anime production? This seems like a great recipe to forcefully shovel off shit on Funi or a new hurdle for Funi getting certain titles.
Sony Pictures TV US? No. Sony PCL, Sony Communications, Sony Music Entertainment Japan, and Aniplex (owned by the former)? Yes.
Blankslate wrote:
Why would you waste years of your life on a useless list of Funimation "fails" that range from actual issues like product deficiencies & site issues to tiny "issues" like old slides on their industry panels? Other than that, your ignorance is astounding and your search to pin your hate for Funi on one person is very petty. It's clear that you have no idea what a COO does. A COO essentially the head accountant, but sure, he's totally responsible for packaging and social media mistakes.
So how did something like this happen? Also I record this stuff because I feel like it, and it's one of many lists I maintain (Here's two others).
https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/dvd-bd-cover-art-discussions/28747-heaven-s-lost-property-season-1-collection-blu-ray-dvd-combo-anime-classics?p=397911#post397911
https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/dvd-bd-cover-art-discussions/28747-heaven-s-lost-property-season-1-collection-blu-ray-dvd-combo-anime-classics?p=398396#post398396

Or this? While FUNimation had mishaps before, these two for example were quite puzzling when the sensible thing to do would be to put this stuff on clearance, then solicit a new lower-priced release, not having a bunch of employees spend time taking shrinkwrap off hundreds or thousands of sets, taking slipcovers off and throwing them out, then reshrinkwrapping them.
https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/us-blu-ray-dvd-and-simulcast-industry-news/10649-funimation-licenses-shangri-la?p=393620#post393620 (The sticker was a big infosheet stuck to the artbox, not on shrinkwrap, they did this same thing on Shiki)

As for what the COO does, he seems to have been running the company with Gen mostly sitting back. And yes, this is Glassdoor, things should be taken with a grain of salt, but keep in mind this, the negative reviews have the helpful votes, the positives rarely do, and usually would appear after negative reviews caught attention, like when people on Twitter posting screenshots would get tons of RTs.
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-FUNimation-RVW7535870.htm
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-FUNimation-RVW7994637.htm
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-Group-1200-Media-RVW6530483.htm
While you can't confirm for sure the new people are former Universal people, keep in mind though that in 2015 we saw many longtime employees publicly announce they were leaving FUNimation, and also Rojas on an ANNCast towards the end of the year confirmed that they did get a bunch of new employees.
Chichiryuutei wrote:
That been said, IF they (Sony Pictures TV) think that I'd be ok with price hikes then they'll lose a BD buying customer. I do not buy Aniplex titles for 2 reasons: Price and lack of dubs. Aniplex (and other true Japanese distributors) are out of their minds if they think that Americans are going to pay $60 for 2/3 episodes releases without dubs (this is why I don't have Kill la Kill and Mahouka in my collection).
Last I checked, Kill la Kill was dubbed, and at the cheapest on Blu-ray is $200 for 25 episodes, which is not much different from how much anime was in the singles era, on DVD, which was still cheaper than Japanese prices. Also nobody has been doing $60 for 2-3 episodes, Mahouka Part 1 for example is $70 for 7 episodes. I can't think of a single anime released here in 6 singles at $60 each for one cour, or 9-12 singles at $60 each for two cours.

You can't expect price increases anyway because Sony Pictures here doesn't charge Aniplex prices, and never will (nor have they ever, Blood+ wasn't $10 per episode). Are these expensive? I don't think so.
release#22616
release#22615

Blood+ had prices that were similar to what everyone else was charging around the same time, and that's like the highest they ever had.
release#10840
release#10839
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:08 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I won't argue that there won't be changes, but that sounds like a stretch of the imagination, I read similar comments about Atlus when SEGA brought them, none of which came to pass. I certainly can't see them moving them to LA, if they want work dubbed in LA they would just use one of the many talented studios up there.

It's fine, you want to be optimistic and hoping this ends up a positive experience. I don't blame you. But from experience, I'm afraid I'm not as optimistic and actually concerned for Funimation and the future of Anime in the Americas. Here is some examples:

Ever hear of the Everquest MMO? It was the most successful MMO prior to World of Warcraft. Sony purchased the Verant studios in the early 2000 and Verant's CEO, John Smedly, became President of Sony Online Entertainment. Then in 2007, the rebranded Verant was sold as Sigil studios and everyone was fired literally in a parking lot. Assets were sold off by Sony shortly after.

Sound familiar?

Or how about the changes to Bioware / Electrionic Arts purchasing Mythic Entertainment (creator of the Age of Camelot and Ultima Online MMOs), where EA no longer thought they were profitable and fired everyone in 2014 and the assets were sold off. And guess what happened to the management of Mythic? They were promoted to Bioware Managers, whom later retired as millionaires.

So while I'm skeptical that Sony will indeed keep things status quo and maybe even make things better. But seeing various examples as above during my lifetime, I can't help but think that Corporate greed will win out and only Gen and Sony will profit from this venture. I fear the staff of Funimation getting the short end of the stick. Hopefully, if that time comes, they could start over as a new business.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quote
Now here is an interesting though: between Anime Strike and Sony Pictures USA, who has been a bigger disappointment to USA/Canada anime fans?
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
Weary of mergers, so hope things either stay the same or things work out better in areas.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8