• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Pictures TV to Acquire Majority Stake in Funimation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I would've preferred Universal, since they're much more stable, and still very active in the home video market. Nothing good has ever come from a Hollywood studio owning an anime distribution company. Streamline had Orion, Universal (sort of) had Geneon, and Starz/Anchor Bay had Manga Ent. Sony seems desperate for cash too.

At the very least, this might finally hopefully lead to a complete release for Cyborg 009 and a proper Blu-ray for Cowboy Bebop: The Movie.

encrypted12345 wrote:
FlareKnight wrote:
There is nothing good that can be pulled from this. Sony's film division has been a mess. Really don't want that kind of nonsense near Funimation. Not that Funimation is perfect, but they are a fairly large entity in getting anime out here.

Didn't they technically make Spiderman Homecoming, or was there something else going on there?

Yes, but ONE hit can't possibly do much to save the sinking ship that is Sony Pictures. At least they also have Baby Driver and (maybe) The Emoji Movie too (for better or worse), but they've been a hot mess since the hacking. At least they're having a better year than Paramount.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I'm not paying Aniplex prices, that's for sure. It's like they punish you for being an anime fan.

if FUNi wants to push me to 100% digital that's all they'd have to do
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Sorraffy wrote:

if FUNi wants to push me to 100% digital that's all they'd have to do

If price for Funimation related shows go up, I'm pretty these orders won't be coming from FUNi but Sony.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
On a different note, something I find interesting, Sony isn't buying FUNi for that much more than what Navarre bought them for.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Navarre+buys+FUNimation

And that was back when FUNimation wasn't one of the big boys, ADV Films and Geneon Entertainment were the kings back in those days until Geneon went under, ADV's Sojitz deal fell apart (which is one of the main reasons they declined), and FUNi got to get their hands on so many titles.

Even if they weren't the "King" of anime back then they did have a lot of pull and presence (DBZ was airing on Toonami, they owned several big titles, Full Metal Alchemist anyone?) and they were on the heels of ADV and Geneon. Navarre bought Funimation almost at the height of the anime bubble, when Funimation as a smaller company and the Dollar was worth more (133 million in 2005 is $166,521,720.43 in 2017 when adjusted for inflation). Also, Wikipedia says 100.4 million not 133. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funimation#Purchase_by_Navarre_Corporation

But and interesting correlation nonetheless.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Well hopefully they wont hike up the prices or mess up what is working good right now
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Sony's film division has not been inspiring confidence lately, so I'm gonna be VERY cautious
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I think some people are missing the forest for the trees. Aniplex USA level prices is not the worst that can happen if this deal goes through. Funimation might start producing less and less dubs, and they might stop doing disc releases. As a collector this last thing would terrible.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I think some people are missing the forest for the trees. Aniplex USA level prices is not the worst that can happen if this deal goes through. Funimation might start producing less and less dubs, and they might stop doing disc releases. As a collector this last thing would terrible.

That would be my bigger fear as well. Plus for those complaining about Aniplex be grateful they aren't at Ponycan's level of pricing. I can deal with Aniplex's pricing most times. I don't like them, but I can deal with them. I grew up in the $25-$30 dvd single days. I do feel they should be dropping their prices some at Aniplex because they are high for the NA market but they are not ridiculous like Ponycan. For that money you might as well just import the Japanese releases.

Another thing to remember is Funi and CR have their own partnership as well. Correct me if I am wrong but I would imagine that also brings in more money and value for Sony. It might also give Amazon some pause. However, I think Sentai is starting to feel like the red-head step child at this point though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Sigh. The problem with an announcement like this is that we don't know if it will be a good thing, a bad thing or end up being virtually invisible to us. The only thing I can say is that I was happy with the way Funi was going and anything that creates uncertainty is not super welcome in my world. Not that anybody cares, of course...
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
The company that owns the Cowboy Bebop movie in America bought out the current distributor of the TV series. Maybe Funimation could put out a better Bluray of the movie with 5.1 audio included in one boxset.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
While my initial reaction was that this would drastically impact people's anime buying habits, now that I've had a chance to think about it, I'm not sure that Funimation really represents the "end all, be all" of the anime home video market any more. Out of maybe two dozen anime Blurays and DVDs I've picked up this past year, the only Funimation new releases have been Nichijou, Hyouka, and the Akira re-release... hardly the kinds of titles that drew Sony to purchase a stake in Funimation.

For those of us who are into the more "artsy" and less "blockbuster" anime shows, it remains to be seen how much this will actually change things. It's not like Lesbian Bear Storm couldn't have been released by Sentai, for example.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
More media consolidation I don't really know how to feel but hopefuly nothing bad happens
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Funimation put up an FAQ post on their site. Pretty much a lot of variations on "Nothing is Changing Whatsoever!", but probably can put some fears on hold, at the very least.
https://www.funimation.com/blog/2017/08/01/funimation-agrees-acquired-sony-pictures-television-networks/#change
_Quasar_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
Seems like a bad investment to me.

Yeah. Hope they enjoy being in a bidding war with Amazon and Netflix for shows.
_Quasar_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
Seems like a bad investment to me.

Yeah. Hope they enjoy being in a bidding war with Amazon and Netflix for shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8