• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Pictures TV to Acquire Majority Stake in Funimation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:11 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Whatever. Considering the track record with FUNimation's handling of Dragon Ball Z and their history of willingness to throw their most dedicated fans under the bus to appease their bottom line without at least an apology for the inconvenience, I have no sympathy for them for whatever business decisions Sony makes towards the company in the foreseeable future.

The idea that turning Funimation over to a much, much larger media conglomerate is going to do anything but further "throw their most dedicated fans under the bus to appease their bottom line" (if that's how you choose to interpret "how media corporations make decisions") isn't really realistic.

Beyond that, though, not every buyout results in a change in management or daily operating procedures. Sometimes companies buy other companies because they like how they already do things.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:11 am Reply with quote
We now have two heavyweights vying in R1; Amazon, and now Sony with all of its subsidiaries. This is simultaneously terrifying and exciting. Sentai and Funimation have appeared to put themselves on opposing sides, and for the moment, the best we can hope for is the cries of the fans who love and support our niche hobby will not be casualties left by the wayside. Either way, the landscape is probably going to shift dramatcally, sooner or later remains to be seen. Then again, perhaps our niche is no longer so small after all.

Does anyone know how or if this will affect the Crunchyroll/Funimation partnership? I would also categorize Crunchyroll as a heavy hitter and not just in R1. So many things have changed just over the last two years as far as who we look to for legal streaming and physical media. Throwing in ties to production companies, Sony might have the upper hand for the moment, but I don't expect Amazon to wait too long before diving in if they haven't already. Crunchyroll might surprise all of us in the end though.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:03 am Reply with quote
This is doomsday for the dub fans. Bullcrap, nothing will change. Its Sony. Sony pricing, Sony has them dollar signs in their eyes. The pirate networks are about to have a field day. I feel bad for their jobs at Funi. Fun while it lasted.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:27 am Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
Hopefully this will be an arrangement like Disney has with Pixar and Marvel where Sony TV owns Funimation but continues to let them do things their way without much interference. Hopefully this means we might also get a blu ray of Blood+ in the future as well.

Oh Kami-sama, I hope this is the case.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:47 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
What does this mean? Simple, Funimation will stop being a company for the USA only. Recently funimation has expanded, but Sony, for all its shortcomings, is a worldwide company. So as soon as the merger is approved, they will no longer need other companies to sell their discs and streams elsewhere. This will also mean that Funi dubs will start appearing in Animax channel.

Oh, I hope so. And hopefully, "worldwide" meaning "worldwide" and not just "english-speaking countries". That said, Sony has failed anime fans in Europe several times - all those Animax channels that were promised and never hapened plus those that were pretty much rebranded into other AXN properties that removed all anime alltogether.

If they made a worldwide streaming service with several local dubs produced, like Netflix does, then I'm all up for it. Otherwise they can go to hell with Sony. With possibly more properties for Netflix to pick up.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:09 am Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
On a different note, something I find interesting, Sony isn't buying FUNi for that much more than what Navarre bought them for.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Navarre+buys+FUNimation

And that was back when FUNimation wasn't one of the big boys, ADV Films and Geneon Entertainment were the kings back in those days until Geneon went under, ADV's Sojitz deal fell apart (which is one of the main reasons they declined), and FUNi got to get their hands on so many titles.
Oh I miss the days of Geneon, ADV and Bandai Visual, that was a great time to be, for the lack of a better word, a dub fan.
angelmcazares wrote:
Funimation might start producing less and less dubs
Which is bad why, I've been unhappy for awhile with the high influx of simuldubs, not just for their quality but also because they dub shows which in hindsight they wouldn't bother with, ie Hand Shakers.
Teraman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:41 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
You really want to believe that FUNimation never made a single, controversial, business decision in their life? You really want to pretend that Gen Fukunaga is the savior Christ of all anime fans in the west? LOL to this.

No one said any of these things. You're tilting at windmills..
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:47 am Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:

Good to know. I still hope some sort of a merger doesn't happen.

Honestly, considering how Sony Pictures has been losing money and the previous record of bigger companies getting into anime and not understanding how the fan base works, I can't help but be worried.

I hope this is good for streaming, though. Maybe Sony can put more money into anime licenses to quiet all the Anime Strike and Netflix fears.

? 2016 was the first time Sony Pictures has lost money since at least the year 2000 (as far back as I could be bothered to check).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:47 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Another thing to remember is Funi and CR have their own partnership as well. Correct me if I am wrong but I would imagine that also brings in more money and value for Sony. It might also give Amazon some pause. However, I think Sentai is starting to feel like the red-head step child at this point though.
Don't Sentai have a thing with Amazon? If not then yeah this could be a problem for them.

If anything did happen to Funimation, I could see the founder just setting up a new studio, and the cast working for Sentai in the meantime. Like with ADV.
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:03 am Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
More media consolidation I don't really know how to feel but hopefuly nothing bad happens

There is going to be a LOT more in the near future as viewership and advertising money spreads more to internet streaming.
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:07 am Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
Hopefully this will be an arrangement like Disney has with Pixar and Marvel where Sony TV owns Funimation but continues to let them do things their way without much interference. Hopefully this means we might also get a blu ray of Blood+ in the future as well.

You think Disney hasn't been interfering with Pixar really? Cars 2, Cars 3, Monsters University, Brave (for the princess line of toys), the Good Dinosaur problems. The fact that there is going to be a Toy Story 4.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:56 am Reply with quote
I will be outright cynical about this until proven otherwise.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:07 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Everything is in a good spot right now, Funi is making good dubs with good casts, not charging an arm and a leg and putting out good product.

My point is basically...Don't let this fudge everything up, especially the partnership with Crunchyroll which has been great for pretty much everyone.

Yeah, I've been loving where Funi has been at with the releases and great simuldubs etc, and working with CR to get some of those titles to dub too. Please don't fudge this up.
matt78

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:17 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
matt78 wrote:

You think Disney hasn't been interfering with Pixar really? Cars 2, Cars 3, Monsters University, Brave (for the princess line of toys), the Good Dinosaur problems. The fact that there is going to be a Toy Story 4.

I meant interfere as in bringing in their own people to run things. As far as I know Disney left the leadership of Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm intact. Of course Disney was going to start to make them do sequels. Cars 2 alone generated 2 billion in merchandise sales. Its easy money for them.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:48 am Reply with quote
The American or NA Anime Community will keep going.. the sky is not falling people.

This happened in the early 2000's with Geneon (Pioneer)/ADV/Bandai and at the time Funimation was on a pariah level that rivals the current Aniplex/Pony Canyon levels.

Funimation survived that.. much to many peoples dismay..

It's too early to get all worked up about the fate of dubs and all that jazz.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8