• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Pictures TV to Acquire Majority Stake in Funimation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:48 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Marvel did--Sony gave the character back to Marvel to use in their movies, but the legal RIGHT to make films titled "Spider-Man" still belonged to Sony. (Paramount's issues with Iron Man and The Avengers were already ironed out at the beginning of their deal.)
Same thing with Universal, as to why we haven't gotten more movies with Hulk.

We haven't gotten more movies with Hulk cause Hulk doesn't exactly put butts in seats.
matt78

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:59 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
We haven't gotten more movies with Hulk cause Hulk doesn't exactly put butts in seats.

The way I understand it is Disney has the rights to make a solo Hulk film but Universal would have to serve as the distributor. Instead of paying Universal to distribute the film Disney has decided to have him be a side character. Universal also owns the rights to Namor the Sub-Mariner.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:02 am Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
RIP, after Mike DuBoise from Universal helped ruin things and make them sloppy, now Sony Pictures US is probably going to further make them a mess of a company I despise. The "FUN" in FUNimation which has been missing since a little before Mike even came in is probably never going to come back now.

On a different note, something I find interesting, Sony isn't buying FUNi for that much more than what Navarre bought them for.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Navarre+buys+FUNimation

And that was back when FUNimation wasn't one of the big boys, ADV Films and Geneon Entertainment were the kings back in those days until Geneon went under, ADV's Sojitz deal fell apart (which is one of the main reasons they declined), and FUNi got to get their hands on so many titles.

Why would you waste years of your life on a useless list of Funimation "fails" that range from actual issues like product deficiencies & site issues to tiny "issues" like old slides on their industry panels? Other than that, your ignorance is astounding and your search to pin your hate for Funi on one person is very petty. It's clear that you have no idea what a COO does. A COO essentially the head accountant, but sure, he's totally responsible for packaging and social media mistakes.

Also, Funimation has always been the largest NA anime distributor. To imply that Trigun, Tenchi Muyo, or Black lagoon (Geneon's most popular licenses) or Evangelion and Slayers (ADV's most popular licenses) were larger than Dragon Ball and Fullmetal Alchemist is laughable.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
Also, Funimation has always been the largest NA anime distributor. To imply that Trigun, Tenchi Muyo, or Black lagoon (Geneon's most popular licenses) or Evangelion and Slayers (ADV's most popular licenses) were larger than Dragon Ball and Fullmetal Alchemist is laughable.
Funimation for a long time was just the people who brought Dragon Ball Z over, it wasn't until the big 3; Genenon, ADV and Bandai went away. That Funiamtion decame the biggest. Just look at ADV and how many titles they put out in their prime, compaored to Funimation at the same time.
Shaone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:30 am Reply with quote
Here we go again. Funimation selling itself to another company. Let's see how long this one lasts.Don't know if this is a move to make anime more mainstream or just an opportunity to shift certain obligations to another company.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:38 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Blankslate wrote:
Funimation for a long time was just the people who brought Dragon Ball Z over, it wasn't until the big 3; Genenon, ADV and Bandai went away. That Funiamtion decame the biggest. Just look at ADV and how many titles they put out in their prime, compaored to Funimation at the same time.

By "largest" I don't mean most licenses. I mean most financially successful. Largest/deepest pockets as it were.
Mune

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:55 am Reply with quote
I am more concerned about their streaming service and their collaboration with Crunchyroll than who owns it. Truth be told, if Funimation gets distrupted, Sentai or Discoteck will fill it in. Honestly, I always felt like Funimation was too big to fail because they had the Dragonball franchise. But maybe I'm wrong.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:05 am Reply with quote
As a corporate employee with a similar experience, I don't expect any immediate changes to Funimation's business strategy (number of simuldubs per season, BD releases, etc) for a year.

That been said, IF they (Sony Pictures TV) think that I'd be ok with price hikes then they'll lose a BD buying customer. I do not buy Aniplex titles for 2 reasons: Price and lack of dubs. Aniplex (and other true Japanese distributors) are out of their minds if they think that Americans are going to pay $60 for 2/3 episodes releases without dubs (this is why I don't have Kill la Kill and Mahouka in my collection).

In the bright side, This could potentially give Funimation access to the anime committees and lockdown more titles (dubs) and faster simuldubs per season. In a great world, Funimation will be able to do what they did for Space Dandy and have a WW simuldubs for all their titles... I know... I know... just let me dream.
Tobibra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
Chichiryuutei wrote:
Aniplex (and other true Japanese distributors) are out of their minds if they think that Americans are going to pay $60 for 2/3 episodes releases without dubs (this is why I don't have Kill la Kill and Mahouka in my collection).

Kill la kill has a English dub.

Ontopic: I wonder how this will affect Funis relationship with AL, I would think Sony can release the discs themself.
leelee85

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
Tobibra wrote:
Chichiryuutei wrote:
Aniplex (and other true Japanese distributors) are out of their minds if they think that Americans are going to pay $60 for 2/3 episodes releases without dubs (this is why I don't have Kill la Kill and Mahouka in my collection).

Kill la kill has a English dub.

Ontopic: I wonder how this will affect Funis relationship with AL, I would think Sony can release the discs themself.

What does AL means?
Tobibra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:57 am Reply with quote
leelee85 wrote:
What does AL means?

Anime Limited. A publisher in the UK who also help Funimation release stuff there.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:04 am Reply with quote
Not good... Sony Pictures got bought out by a Chinese billionaire last year and the business is losing millions of dollars in box office revenue due to bad ticket sales. This is obviously a desperation move to procure the various licenses Funimation controls so they can make adaptations.

relyat08 wrote:
Funimation put up an FAQ post on their site. Pretty much a lot of variations on "Nothing is Changing Whatsoever!", but probably can put some fears on hold, at the very least.
https://www.funimation.com/blog/2017/08/01/funimation-agrees-acquired-sony-pictures-television-networks/#change

Afraid, that's a typical PR move to reassure customers. Sad

The reality begins a few months after the ink has dried, Sony begins making changes. It will likely start slow with Sony sending in "advisors" who will audit Funimation's finances and the managers (upper staff) will either get a nice early retirement or the pink slip. Then sometime in 2018, we start hearing news that Sony is moving Funimation to Los Angeles. At this same time, we hear news of Funimation talent being "let go", while the most famous/liked talent of the Funimation staff (like Chris Sabat), is moved to Los Angeles to join Sony's pool of voice actors.

Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
The American or NA Anime Community will keep going.. the sky is not falling people.

This happened in the early 2000's with Geneon (Pioneer)/ADV/Bandai and at the time Funimation was on a pariah level that rivals the current Aniplex/Pony Canyon levels.

Funimation survived that.. much to many peoples dismay..

It's too early to get all worked up about the fate of dubs and all that jazz.

There is quite the difference between then and now. Back then it was small potatoes, today it's the big leagues.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:36 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
This is obviously a desperation move to procure the various licenses Funimation controls so they can make adaptations.

Afraid, that's a typical PR move to reassure customers. Sad

The reality begins a few months after the ink has dried, Sony begins making changes. It will likely start slow with Sony sending in "advisors" who will audit Funimation's finances and the managers (upper staff) will either get a nice early retirement or the pink slip. Then sometime in 2018, we start hearing news that Sony is moving Funimation to Los Angeles. At this same time, we hear news of Funimation talent being "let go", while the most famous/liked talent of the Funimation staff (like Chris Sabat), is moved to Los Angeles to join Sony's pool of voice actors.
I won't argue that there won't be changes, but that sounds like a stretch of the imagination, I read similar comments about Atlus when SEGA brought them, none of which came to pass. I certainly can't see them moving them to LA, if they want work dubbed in LA they would just use one of the many talented studios up there.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

The way I understand it is Disney has the rights to make a solo Hulk film but Universal would have to serve as the distributor. Instead of paying Universal to distribute the film Disney has decided to have him be a side character.

To wit, the reason we're getting the Thor vs. Hulk in Arena Armor plot ("I know him from work!") of next fall's "Thor: Ragnarok" is that every single geeky fan has been banging down Marvel Studios' door for literally the last seven years nagging them for a fan-faithful version of the comic's "Planet Hulk" storyline, and the Universal problems (not to mention the overbudgeted canon excesses of the story itself, or Disney not wanting to bring up bad John Carter memories) stood in the way.
Thor had to help, as Universal's permission only lets Marvel use Hulk in everyone else's movies, but not his own. I think we can say "Audience awareness" was not the problem.

As for Funimation, again, we're on high jump-alert after all the fan complaints about "Amazon wants to make us pay twice!" regardless of any perceptions of why Amazon is cluelessly trying to jump into a market, and too halfheartedly to be any threat to the Big Two.
Sony will either let Funi do what it wants, and profit off of it, or smell the DBZ/Titan/One Piece money and push a few more theatrical screenings into theaters--But even if we ARE talking about the Sony that used to annoy the heck out of us with "Paprika" arthouse anime, at least they have Japanese connections enough to know what product they're dealing with.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I think some people are missing the forest for the trees. Aniplex USA level prices is not the worst that can happen if this deal goes through. Funimation might start producing less and less dubs, and they might stop doing disc releases. As a collector this last thing would terrible.

Agreed. What I see in five years is a Funimation that does nothing but stream--because the disc release business has been obliterated by Sony forcing Japanese-style prices down American throats. One glance at AoA and NISA price structures is proof enough that the Japanese are willfully blind to the realities of their own foreign markets. I'm a veteran of the US boom (and so is my wallet), but I'm not going back there again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8