• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Daisuki Ends Anime Streaming Service in October

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I feel like if Daisuki would've kept stuff up for longer/gotten more exclusives, they would've stayed alive. They only streamed Aikatsu for less than six months, meaning all the fans of that franchise went immediately back to pirating it.

Daisuki is currently the only legal streaming home for Bottle Fairy, three seasons of Beyblade, Dai-Guard, Mahoraba, Natsu no Arashi, Inukami, etc. Wonder if any of these will turn up on Crunchyroll or Hulu after Daisuki goes down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TemplateR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
SpaceTheGamer wrote:
So Daisuki ends, but Super continues........ huh, interesting

I think, that "Dragon Ball Super" will continue to stream worldwide, but perhaps not by Crunchyroll. My money goes on Netflix or Amazon Wink
MavenRaven

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I haven't used Daisuki in a few months, but I'm going to miss their service. You could find most of their anime from other sources, but they also had exclusive videos, such as interviews with show staff and concerts featuring popular jpop stars. They even streamed a few musicals based on anime/VNs. No other service seems to care about those.

Being created and funded by the anime industry, Daisuki had so much potential. It's sad that it never lived up to any of it and has just fizzled out.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Mark my words, Crackle will be the next to shutdown.
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I always hoped to see them make the old Sunrise shows like the 4or5year old mother, some robot series, etc available in France but it never came... Now I can still get most of the mecha animations in their fansubbed version, but some other series won't ever be available anymore. -_-

Anyway, thanks to this website who offered me ConRevo. And no thanks to the french publishers who will never bother to buy it to print DVDs.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I wonder where One-Punch Man 2 will end up? My money is on Hulu and Strike.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Well that's a little sad until recently I was a premium Daisuki subscriber and I always liked the service they had a good selection of odd Sunrise shows and I finally got to watch Bottle Fairy after years of wanting to on their website.

I also won a Tales of Zestiria poster in a contest the website had sure the market can't sustain every service that tries to make it but I still feel a little sad because over all I liked Daisuki.
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
TemplateR wrote:
SpaceTheGamer wrote:
So Daisuki ends, but Super continues........ huh, interesting

I think, that "Dragon Ball Super" will continue to stream worldwide, but perhaps not by Crunchyroll. My money goes on Netflix or Amazon Wink

Please God No!
AtoMan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
ArnisEnthusiast wrote:
If we're talking the US, I only count four with a major focus on anime (Crunchyroll, Funimation, HIDIVE, and Anime Strike). Netflix wouldn't count because it doesn't have a major focus on anime.

Netflix is one of the 3 streaming services available in Europe, so go figure.

Unless their content moves somewhere else... well, crap.

TemplateR wrote:

I'm all for Netflix, but how do you make it free there?
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
I wonder where One-Punch Man 2 will end up? My money is on Hulu and Strike.

OPM is licensed by Viz, who usually put their shows on Hulu and Crunchyroll. Probably Strike too.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Daisuki was an experiment from Japan that didn't work out. The one Daisuki show I watched (God Eater) I actually watched on Hulu. (Speaking of Hulu, I am SUPER happy they have RIN-NE S3 now so I don't need to go through whatever Sentai's new service is).

I do agree though, that anime needs to be more consolidated onto a couple services, than spread out. Amazon Strike is super silly, and I don't think it will last long. If those titles were listed through just Prime, it wouldn't be as big of a pain with the additional costs. Sentai's service is annoying too, but at least Hulu serves as a backup (with ads), even if the titles are on hold for a week, as they sometimes are.

CR and Funi merging was a good choicen with only dubs available to those who want them on Funi's service. CR being a good contender as an all-in-ones, makes it easy, convenient, and a good value. Netflix has their own exclusives, but have purged so many titles over the years, probably due to all of these exclusive deals made.

For something like anime, keeping it on a few services (CR, Hulu, Netflix) and consolidated, is probably the best option.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I always felt that Daisuki had all the potential to at least be a great catalog content streaming site, i.e. offer the older titles that you can't find anywhere else legally online, especially for those that were never released outside of Japan before. Unfortunately, aside from the few Sunrise mech anime that came & went (Gundam ZZ, Vifam, Iron Leaguer, etc.), it seems like none of the involved companies bothered to actually do much with it. Personally, I think it was likely because they highly underestimated the market.

Shortly after the site launched, a series of surveys were put up asking anime fans what catalog title they'd like to see on Daisuki. In a move that shocked everyone, the survey essentially listed every single anime that Toei, TMS, Sunrise, & the others actually had the rights to, which meant that there were literally hundreds of shows to choose from when all of the surveys were totaled up. If I had to guess, the companies involved probably did this just as a show of goodwill, but probably didn't think that fans would really potentially want just about everything.

Well, when each survey went up, I do recall that fans would share on social media about all of the various anime they were checking off every time, especially since Daisuki didn't restrict how many titles anyone could mark on each survey (in theory, every single title listed could get marked down, which was ridiculous). Sure, this is mostly anecdotal, but I can easily state that I marked off tons of shows on each survey, simply because I could do so. More than likely, all of the involved companies saw the results & simply thought, "There's no way we can translate every single one of these titles & offer them up on the site!", & in the end we barely saw any old catalog titles, & what we did get was primarily from Sunrise.

I'd imagine that if Daisuki simply restricted how many shows could get marked off on each survey (let's say, due to the size of each survey, they capped it off at 10-15), then maybe we might have gotten some more catalog offerings, but instead they theoretically offered fans "everything" & we more than likely actually responded with, "Sure, let's get everything!"

Also, I don't know why Daisuki only had their exclusive catalog streams up for so long. It's one thing to eventually stop streaming stuff due to licenses running out & the like, but when you put up a show with the explicit message of "It will only be available until a certain date", then of course almost no one's going to watch it.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Sucks for the non-US regions where Daisuki would often be the only option to watch a show legally.
flammie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I remember contacting Daisuki customer support about the small font size of their subtitles a while back. This was their reply:

"Regarding the size of subtitles, this is a known issue and we are working on making size adjustment possible in the near future."

The fact that they never bothered to fix this simple issue made me realize that this streaming service was going to die at some point.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I just recently learn of this site last month, and now I learn it would be closing later this year. This is a bummer as the website had the Beybalde series which I am going to assume is in their original Japanese dub, and I wanted to watch the series in it's original dub. What I think suck however was that it seems most of their content could only be watch if you sign up for premium membership. I would had like if they had done a similar approach to streaming sites like Crunchyroll in which all or most content is free, but one is stuck with ads unless they decide to sign up for premium membership in which they can watch anime add free as well as enjoy all the perks.

I hope the Japanese dubs of the Beyblade series get picked up by some other streaming site, I discover that Cruncyroll apparently had the first series at one point but not currently (for whatever reason).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4