• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Daisuki Ends Anime Streaming Service in October

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
sweet, less people to pick up exclusives.

And more anime for Netflix to swoop up.
dark13

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Was watching Iron-blooded Orphans season 1 and 2 on Daisuki until I heard Crunvhyroll got the rights to it ?not sure since I don't own a Crunchyroll account or follow Crunchyroll news.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Daisuki is the only service streaming the movie, Magic Witch Sisters Yoyo and Nene. Unless it gets licensed at some point for a physical release (in which there's no announcement thus no guarantee), people have until October to at least check out this underrated ufotable gem, and I have until then to watch it with English subs at least a couple more times before having to go back to my raw import blu-ray.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
ArnisEnthusiast wrote:
9? I have no idea how you even got that number.

In the United States, streaming services with at least some exclusive content:

1. Funimation
2. Crunchyroll
3. Anime Strike
4. Netflix
5. Crackle
6. Viewster
7. HiDive
8. Daisuke *

(*) Soon to be deceased.

In addition, Hulu is also a major player in the anime streaming market, but so far as I can tell every title it features is available on other services.

Of this list, only the first four offer new, current series as exclusive content; the remaining services only have older titles offered exclusively.

Last edited by DeTroyes on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
Was watching Iron-blooded Orphans season 1 and 2 on Daisuki until I heard Crunvhyroll got the rights to it ?not sure since I don't own a Crunchyroll account or follow Crunchyroll news.

Crunchyroll has had Iron Blooded Orphans since it's first season just that I believe Daisuki got new episodes a week before CR.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
people have until October to at least check out this underrated ufotable gem, and I have until then to watch it with English subs at least a couple more times before having to go back to my raw import blu-ray.

Except despite signing up for their premium membership trial for the website today just so I can watch something (for me it was the Beybalde series and possibly this Granblue Fantasy), I could not sign in and therefore check any of the content, I am assuming this has to do with the fact they stop charging those who sign up for premium membership, and therefore are longer excepting anyone else. Either that or it could be some glitch. I won't mind giving the movie a try if I can just sign in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
I just recently learn of this site last month, and now I learn it would be closing later this year. This is a bummer as the website had the Beybalde series which I am going to assume is in their original Japanese dub, and I wanted to watch the series in it's original dub. What I think suck however was that it seems most of their content could only be watch if you sign up for premium membership. I would had like if they had done a similar approach to streaming sites like Crunchyroll in which all or most content is free, but one is stuck with ads unless they decide to sign up for premium membership in which they can watch anime add free as well as enjoy all the perks.

I hope the Japanese dubs of the Beyblade series get picked up by some other streaming site, I discover that Cruncyroll apparently had the first series at one point but not currently (for whatever reason).

Only Beyblade Burst was streamed in Japanese and IIRC, it used dubtitles.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
thunderkingnue29 wrote:
Waiting for the news "Amazon Ends Anime Streaming Service"

I will honestly cry tears of joy if that happens and throw a party to celebrate. Literally the only and I mean only pro for Anime Strike is that Sentai will get more licenses to release on Bluray/DVD.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Only Beyblade Burst was streamed in Japanese and IIRC, it used dubtitles.

I see! Thanks for telling me, Primus. So they didn't bother getting the original Japanese dubs for the others afterall. Oh well!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
Except despite signing up for their premium membership trial for the website today just so I can watch something (for me it was the Beybalde series and possibly this Granblue Fantasy), I could not sign in and therefore check any of the content, I am assuming this has to do with the fact they stop charging those who sign up for premium membership, and therefore are longer excepting anyone else. Either that or it could be some glitch. I won't mind giving the movie a try if I can just sign in.

Did a quick double-check--you can still watch the movie on Daisuki without the premium membership, and even without commercials somehow! At least that's the case when I access it.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:

Did a quick double-check--you can still watch the movie on Daisuki without the premium membership, and even without commercials somehow! At least that's the case when I access it.

I did a quick check and you are right. I am amble to play the video fine. Thanks Pachy Boy for checking. Anime smile I'll be sure to give it watch real soon. Now if I only can watch some of the other content on the site.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Remember how Hulu dropped anime? How long did that last? Now they are back in anime business.

Hulu never dropped anime, they just pared down their catalog.
flammie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:

Of this list, only the first four offer new, current series as exclusive content; the remaining services only have older titles offered exclusively.

HiDive is simulcasting the Sentai shows Strike passed on, Action Heroine Cheer Fruits and Battle Girl High School. Including Frame Arms Girl from the previous season, its obvious that Strike doesn't want to include "cute girls doing cute things" shows in its lineup.

At least Sentai licensed the previous Daisuki simulcast exclusives Long Riders and Magic of Stella, so they are also on HiDive now.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:

OPM is licensed by Viz, who usually put their shows on Hulu and Crunchyroll. Probably Strike too.

Viz doesn't place their shows on CR. You may be confused by TV Tokyo shows that both have rights to, and shows that CR first had rights to (e.g., JoJo's, Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet).
EleutheroMaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh, man! Shocked

I hate it see it go! I used to watch "Iron-Blooded Orphans" every Sunday morning on this service! Sad

But I'll move on. I still have Crunchyroll, VRV and my Roku box.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4