• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation, Sony Comment on Majority Acquisition Deal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy this is going to be an interesting upcoming year to see what really happens. I don't buy this "nothing will change" nonsense.
sdsichero
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
"the PS4 will be at the center"

This is the kind of BS I was afraid of. I don't own a PS4 and I don't intend to own one. I hope FUNimation's statements are the one they will stick closer to. Otherwise, I will miss out on a lot of stuff.

*sigh*
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:
Oh boy this is going to be an interesting upcoming year to see what really happens. I don't buy this "nothing will change" nonsense.

Neither do I. Seen the contrary happen too many times to believe it. Oh, it might take a year or two, but eventually existing agreement contracts will run out, strategies will shift, and markets will change. Its all just a matter of time before Sony decides to make fundamental changes to their "new" business; hopefully the people who end up in charge have a good understanding of their customers.

But don't count on it.

Quote:
the PS4 will be at the center

*sigh* If they drop Roku support I will be very displeased. On the flipside, maybe this means Funimation will be available through Sony blu-ray again.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I hope these corporate parasites won't start charging Aniplex prices, changing dubs to be more, or should I say even more, "western friendly" or won't do something as disgusting as having their BDs sold through premium Aniplex and only DVDs available through FUNi at cheaper. Anyway, if worse comes to worse, there's always torrenting.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
If you check the original source from The Hollywood Reporter, it states:

Quote:
The company also operates subscription streaming service FunimationNOW, which is available via Sony's PlayStation Store, iTunes Store, Google Play, Amazon Apps, Xbox Game Store and mobile devices.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

Sony Pictures isn't Sony Interactive Entertaiment. Sony Pictures operates Crackle apps on almost every platform, including those that compete with other Sony companies. Sony Pictures sometimes does exclusive launches for things on other Sony products, but it always floats elsewhere eventually.

Unless something really changes, Yoshida's comments are probably just useless fluff. Sony is so fractured that "their" huge hit mobile game, Fate/Go, isn't actually run by Sony's mobile gaming division.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
"We have IP across Funimation, Aniplex, Animax and the PlayStation platform, the challenge is to connect them all organically," Yoshida said.

This completely contradicts Funimation's statement of "Nothing will change".

Funimation pretty much comes out and says it in their FAQ; "We have no plans to change..." We're not thinking about what their plans our, it's Sony's plans that is the issue.

I take it Sony wants Funimation to access to their dubs and market audience... which would eventually move into "exclusiveness" because if streaming has taught us anything, it's not about what you got, it's about what others cant get.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
So it seems to be one of those subsidiary moves that businesses do all the time.

If anything different comes from this can Sony make Funi ditch those ugly SAVE packaging on DVD sets and just keep normal artwork for collectors that just have a backlog of collecting.
NOGI48

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
"nothing will change" Well that sucks does this mean aniplex prices will still be the same?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:55 pm Reply with quote
NOGI48 wrote:
"nothing will change" Well that sucks does this mean aniplex prices will still be the same?

Funimation says nothing will change for them.
Gyropathic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
If anything different comes from this can Sony make Funi ditch those ugly SAVE packaging on DVD sets and just keep normal artwork for collectors that just have a backlog of collecting.

I'm not sure if they changed it, but the save packages sleeves are reversible on the ones I have, if you can get black cases, with inserts for all discs, you could hide the green parts of the other side.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
So it seems to be one of those subsidiary moves that businesses do all the time.

Most of them contain reversible covers without the green (at least 17 of the 19 SAVE sets I have can be reversed), but yes they're hideous. Le Chevalier D'Eon and Suzuka are the ones that can't be reversed, not sure if there's more..
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:20 am Reply with quote
What evidence does anyone have that any of these doom and gloom predictions are going to happen?
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:24 am Reply with quote
Some S.A.V.E. releases are reversible covers with both the normal front and back covers and some are more like having the normal front cover but with the back cover just listing what episodes and Extras are included. But either way, anything is better than that ugly green banner.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:22 am Reply with quote
"Nothing will change" ... for now. Twisted Evil

I give it 4 to 6 months.
Haysey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:04 am Reply with quote
I wonder how long it'll be before Sony issue a copyright strike on the Dragnball Z Abridged youtube channel? They had a hard enough time just dealing with Funimation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3