• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Announces CG Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya Remake Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Winger wrote:

Well, they actually already did a better english dub before, produced by ADV with Illich Guardiola as Seiya, Vic Mignogna as Jabu and other Texan actors.

However, Illich Guardiola until I know doesn't do voice acting anymore since he is in jail. And knowing Netflix's english dubs, probably they will record it in Los Angeles, in Bang Zoom Entertainment or in Spliced Bread Productions.

Knowing that, what voices do you guys think are good for an english dub cast of Saint Seiya? I think some actors could work on the main cast:

- Pegasus Seiya: Johnny Yong Bosch
- Andromeda Shun: Griffin Burns
- Cygnus Hyoga: Derek Stephen Prince
- Dragon Shiryu: Bryce Papenbrook
- Phoenix Ikki: Lex Lang
- Saori Kido/Athena: Cristina Vee

There was also the edits, everyone bled grape juice or Gatorade in that version or something to get past the FCC.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Something...interesting that was mentioned in the official press release from Toei is that apparently all the writers on this are from American comics and cartoons: http://corp.toei-anim.co.jp/press/detail.php?id=579

Story Editor & Head Writer: Eugene Son(Avengers: Secret Wars)
Screenplay: Benjamin Townsend (Thunderbirds are Go)
Shannon Eric Denton (Avengers: Secret Wars)
Thomas F. Zahler (Ultimate Spider-Man)
Joelle Sellner (Ben 10:Omniverse)
Travis Donnelly (Bull)
Thomas Pugsley (Ben 10)
Saundra Hall (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
Shaene Siders (Avengers: Secret Wars)
Patrick Rieger (Justice League Action)

Mind you since this is apparently just meant to be a new remake of the manga storyline it likely won't make much difference in the long run(and given how the back half of Omega and the Soul of Gold ONAs turned out I'm not entirely sure I'd trust someone from Toei writing this anyway), but it is kind of strange. Very curious to see how that pans out.
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:32 pm Reply with quote
This may be the final chance to see if Saint Seiya can make it over here. Given the success of Voltron, Netflix may just be able to pull it off.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:

Being a 3D artist myself (at least I like to think I am, despite having no professional experience yet...), it saddens me that so many companies do such a poor job at demonstrating the possibilities of CGi, and how the viewers see CGi as the "cheap and bad" of the industry.

It's only cheap and bad when it's done on the cheap and animated or drawn badly not all CG animation is Berserk or Delgo.

Lizzie_B wrote:

There was also the edits, everyone bled grape juice or Gatorade in that version or something to get past the FCC.

It was on cable so it didn't really need to get past the FCC.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Please no on the Johnny Yong Bosch as Pegas Seiya. While I love him as Lelouch, Ichigo, and Izaya I've grown tired of hearing his voice in just about every dub there is these days. Also as for the CG thing, I really wish they had just gone 2D instead. I've been looking for a reboot/remaster/retelling of Saint Seiya for the longest so I can get into it but this was not what I was hoping for
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
chronos02 wrote:

Being a 3D artist myself (at least I like to think I am, despite having no professional experience yet...), it saddens me that so many companies do such a poor job at demonstrating the possibilities of CGi, and how the viewers see CGi as the "cheap and bad" of the industry.

It's only cheap and bad when it's done on the cheap and animated or drawn badly not all CG animation is Berserk or Delgo.

Lizzie_B wrote:

It was on cable so it didn't really need to get past the FCC.

I was just guessing it was the FCC. I also figured it was just they were trying to sell it to kids like DBZ so extreme violence of any kind had to be edited.
Winger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Lelouch Vi wrote:
Please no on the Johnny Yong Bosch as Pegas Seiya. While I love him as Lelouch, Ichigo, and Izaya I've grown tired of hearing his voice in just about every dub there is these days.

So who would you cast for him?

Other names that are in my mind now are Kyle McCarley and Todd Haberkorn. Would you like to hear one of them as Seiya in english?
Also, for a Los Angeles dub, they could kept Vic Mignogna as Unicorn Jabu, as he did in the ADV dub.

And about the rest of the names I listed? Do you liked?
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Winger wrote:
Lelouch Vi wrote:
Please no on the Johnny Yong Bosch as Pegas Seiya. While I love him as Lelouch, Ichigo, and Izaya I've grown tired of hearing his voice in just about every dub there is these days.

So who would you cast for him?

Other names that are in my mind now are Kyle McCarley and Todd Haberkorn. Would you like to hear one of them as Seiya in english?
Also, for a Los Angeles dub, they could kept Vic Mignogna as Unicorn Jabu, as he did in the ADV dub.

And about the rest of the names I listed? Do you liked?

I wouldn't be surprised if Matt Mercer voiced Phoenix Ikki considering the guy voices blue hair anime guys
You

Don't

Believe

Me?
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:33 am Reply with quote
I'm both worried and excited about the "Los Caballeros del Zodiaco" remake for Netflix.

I'm excited because it won't be absolute trash like the Toonami stream with green (yeah green) blood and heavy censoring of the fights. Even getting pass that the dub was meh.

I'm worried because it's CG. Boy... I don't know if it'll look great. Maybe the armor sequences would look great but I don't know. Kinda reminds me of Sailor Moon and how you could quickly see the change from 2D to CG during the transition sequences.

Also, please don't be offended by the name "Knights of the Zodiac or Los Caballeros del Zodiaco." This is the international name and boy it's so much better than Saint Seiya.

Don't fight me on this one, it was obvious that calling them Saints did not make sense. Poseidon had Marinas (cool), Hades had Specters (really cool), Odin had God warriors (meh but ok) but then with Tenkai-hen Artemis and Apollo had (Satellites and Angels... Hahaha just call them Saints of Olympus) and then boy... you'll have Athena and her Knights. Perfect.

Hopefully Netflix re-cast the Latin American VAs for the Spanish dub. That was the best version of CdZ anyways.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:37 am Reply with quote
Chichiryuutei wrote:
I'm both worried and excited about the "Los Caballeros del Zodiaco" remake for Netflix.

I'm excited because it won't be absolute trash like the Toonami stream with green (yeah green) blood and heavy censoring of the fights. Even getting pass that the dub was meh.

I'm worried because it's CG. Boy... I don't know if it'll look great. Maybe the armor sequences would look great but I don't know. Kinda reminds me of Sailor Moon and how you could quickly see the change from 2D to CG during the transition sequences.

Also, please don't be offended by the name "Knights of the Zodiac or Los Caballeros del Zodiaco." This is the international name and boy it's so much better than Saint Seiya.

Don't fight me on this one, it was obvious that calling them Saints did not make sense. Poseidon had Marinas (cool), Hades had Specters (really cool), Odin had God warriors (meh but ok) but then with Tenkai-hen Artemis and Apollo had (Satellites and Angels... Hahaha just call them Saints of Olympus) and then boy... you'll have Athena and her Knights. Perfect.

Hopefully Netflix re-cast the Latin American VAs for the Spanish dub. That was the best version of CdZ anyways.

I honestly thought the blood looked like grape juice or grape soda.
That and the first episode infamously had an ear getting cut off by Seiya during the first part of it. That piece of brutality I don't expect Netflix will let happen.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:33 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
My only concern is the OST.

SS still has the best OST in the history of forever even now, I hope they re-use it.

It would be great if they use the original music or at least some of them as that music, character design and Toru Furuya are what made Saint Seiya stand (at least to me).

Now if only Toru Furuya would reprise his role as Seiya Very Happy
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
All the voice cast will be replacements (Dragon Shiryu would be anyway) and even Toru Furuya will not be in it. Just going to get ready for that possibility.

Well first i'll admit that Furuya was the first thing that got me into watching Saint Seiya (and many other shows). I think that new replacement cast of Omega were decent and of course they retained the most important one(s) in Toru Furuya & Mami Koyama Very Happy

Personally i think they may use the ones from the CG movies but i still hope that the Omega ones would reprise their roles.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:56 am Reply with quote
Netflix:

We own entertainment. Like - All of it.
DarkLordDragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:45 am Reply with quote
I wish this is the beginning of a new Saint Seiya Era in the west
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Davy0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
ZetaZaku wrote:
TemplateR wrote:
3-4 Arcs into 12 episodes? So that means, they won´t adapt the manga-story very faithful or?

Where did you get that from?
That's 35 episodes of the original show. That's around 6 vols of the manga. If they trim some fat, it can fit well in the 12 episodes.

If people notice, the anime had a LOT of fat to trim. Just keep the most important parts and stop Seiya from getting up a million times, you'll be good.

If it looks anything like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TSQp-6rOIo - I'll be satisfied.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5