• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Announces CG Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya Remake Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Lizzie_B wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Matt Mercer voiced Phoenix Ikki considering the guy voices blue hair anime guys
You
Don't
Believe
Me?

I believe you. And he is a good name for Ikki too.

Majin Tenshi wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
All the voice cast will be replacements (Dragon Shiryu would be anyway) and even Toru Furuya will not be in it. Just going to get ready for that possibility.

Well first i'll admit that Furuya was the first thing that got me into watching Saint Seiya (and many other shows). I think that new replacement cast of Omega were decent and of course they retained the most important one(s) in Toru Furuya & Mami Koyama Very Happy

Personally i think they may use the ones from the CG movies but i still hope that the Omega ones would reprise their roles.

Well, in Omega they hadn't recasted Keiko Han as Saori, Hideyuki Hori as Ikki and a few other names that are almost so important as Mami Koyama and Tohru Furuya.

DarkLordDragon wrote:
I wish this is the beginning of a new Saint Seiya Era in the west

Just a correction: it can be the beginning of Saint Seiya era in North America, not in "west".

Saint Seiya is already a big and huge success in many western countries from Europe and Latin America, like Brazil, France, Mexico and Italy.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Winger wrote:

Well, in Omega they hadn't recasted Keiko Han as Saori, Hideyuki Hori as Ikki and a few other names that are almost so important as Mami Koyama and Tohru Furuya.

Omega recast Saori, it was Shoko Nakagawa in Omega.
Phoenix Ikki also, he was Tomokazu Sugita.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Please watch the excessive quoting. A few of you were practically breaking the page with the massive walls of quotes when only small parts of them even pertained to what you were responding to. Thanks.
Tetsu Aero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:44 am Reply with quote
I cringed at the title too so i wrote in to the Netflix customer service and he said he would forward my feedback to the crew. So i recommend you all do the same. The Knights of the Zodiac title is VERY misleading after all. xD
Hopefully they will call the Saints, Saints as well, and not knights.
Midaro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:49 am Reply with quote
Winger wrote:
Lizzie_B wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Matt Mercer voiced Phoenix Ikki considering the guy voices blue hair anime guys
You
Don't
Believe
Me?

I believe you. And he is a good name for Ikki too.

Majin Tenshi wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
All the voice cast will be replacements (Dragon Shiryu would be anyway) and even Toru Furuya will not be in it. Just going to get ready for that possibility.

Well first i'll admit that Furuya was the first thing that got me into watching Saint Seiya (and many other shows). I think that new replacement cast of Omega were decent and of course they retained the most important one(s) in Toru Furuya & Mami Koyama Very Happy

Personally i think they may use the ones from the CG movies but i still hope that the Omega ones would reprise their roles.

DarkLordDragon wrote:
I wish this is the beginning of a new Saint Seiya Era in the west

Just a correction: it can be the beginning of Saint Seiya era in North America, not in "west".

Saint Seiya is already a big and huge success in many western countries from Europe and Latin America, like Brazil, France, Mexico and Italy.

And Spain and Portugal.
Midaro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:50 am Reply with quote
Tetsu Aero wrote:
I cringed at the title too so i wrote in to the Netflix customer service and he said he would forward my feedback to the crew. So i recommend you all do the same. The Knights of the Zodiac title is VERY misleading after all. xD

They will always be knights for me and some millions.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
Unless all of the Netflix versions have these upcoming anime series as uncut weekly streams within 12 hours of the Japanese premiere (NF has the deep pockets for all of these), I wish NF would stop doing these licenses.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Unless all of the Netflix versions have these upcoming anime series as uncut weekly streams within 12 hours of the Japanese premiere (NF has the deep pockets for all of these), I wish NF would stop doing these licenses.

You're assuming these will even be broadcast on Japanese TV. They very well could be real Netflix Originals and their worldwide premiere would be whenever they drop it on their site.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
It IS a Netflix Original series. That's a a Netflix/TOEI coproduction, it was revealed when Netflix annouced its upcoming anime slate in Tokyo, and the fact it has US screenwriters is very revealing : Netflix is involved and paying the bills.

So yeah don't expect this on Japanese TV, it's note a distribution deal like Fate/Aprocrypha.

-Sergorn
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Tetsu Aero wrote:

Hopefully the blood isn't grape juice either.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
The poster does look promising, but I'm pretty worried about this, as I'm afraid if it fails, it could be Sailor Moon Crystal all over again (being bad and putting the franchise at the risk of ruin, arguing, rabid fans, especially with Crystal's, which is one of, if not the, worst fandoms in anime).

I just hope that if it's a remake, it might be closer to Kurumada's manga maybe (I love both the manga and anime of Saint Seiya but to me the manga is better), but not too close like once again, Crystal, that the art/animation is good (I do wish it weren't 3D as I want 2D animation to not become obsolete), and that it won't be anything like the so-bad-it's-good DiC butchering, that show is so easy to laugh at, I laughed at that dub more than with other bad anime dubs.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:53 pm Reply with quote
NateSelwyn25 wrote:
Why? Toei probably knows Saint Seiya doesn't sell well here. Over the past couple of years, we had the movies, first "season" of the anime(73 episodes) and a spinoff released to DVD. They all sold so horribly that all three companies swore they would never do another SS release. I don't think Viz's digital manga release sold all that well, either.

Discotek's releases sold poorly? Damn, that really sucks. Sad

It must have been because the subtitles translations sucked, that's what I heard.

I wonder if this franchise ever will sell big in North America now... Sad
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
NateSelwyn25 wrote:
Why? Toei probably knows Saint Seiya doesn't sell well here. Over the past couple of years, we had the movies, first "season" of the anime(73 episodes) and a spinoff released to DVD. They all sold so horribly that all three companies swore they would never do another SS release. I don't think Viz's digital manga release sold all that well, either.

It must have been because the subtitles translations sucked, that's what I heard.

We'll know once this airs
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
NateSelwyn25 wrote:

I thought only Discotek did the movies and The Lost Canvas. New Video Group did that Sanctuary first season box set that had poor subtitles.
Winger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
According to the encyclopedia, there is already an english dubbing cast for the show:

anime#19985

The names are:

Seiya: Erik Scott Kimerer
Athena: Erica Lindbeck
Shiryu: Kaiji Tang
Shun: Lucien Dodge
Hyoga: Ben Diskin
Ikki: Kyle Hebert

What do you guys think about it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5