• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Licenses the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I just had an odd thought...

What if this show is aired on [as] before the DVDs come out? That way, [as] could do the broadcast order and the DVDs could be in the chronological.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

What if this show is aired on [as] before the DVDs come out? That way, [as] could do the broadcast order and the DVDs could be in the chronological.

See, there, the question is, WOULD it air on Adult Swim? Sure, it'd be great to see Haruhi on tv, but it's hard to say if it would necessarily go over well, or if a simple straight to DVD release is prefered.
E-Arkham

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather have broadcast order on the discs so that each rewatch is as I first enjoyed the series. I could not care less about the English voice actors or how it airs on Adult Swim (I'm one of those "have to watch anime in Japanese" types), but it seems that would be the better place to do it chronologically.

Obviously, there are folks who prefer in English and chronological. How they'll handle this could be very interesting.

Has there ever been a poll on what fans prefer, broadcast or chronological? With Bandai/Kadokawa clearly being keen on the fan desires with this release, I think it would have a chance of falling in the right ears.

Kep
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
DELETED. I was ready to die on a hill for nothing.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! I only watched one episode and I absolutely liked the premise -don't have the time to download and watch the others, so I'm glad there's going to be a DVD release in the near future ^^

I just hope that Bandai gives this one the same exceptional treatment it gave .hack//SIGN and Eureka Seven in terms of good dubbing and nice bonus materials that comes with the DVD release.
Strephon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
The reason why people make a big fuss about the order, though, is that the episodes were aired out of chronological order. However, despite this, the climax and "final" episode of the plot arc was still the last one aired, even though it's not the "last" in a chronological sense. Some people found this confusing, but I think that if you don't think too much on it it makes sense, especially at the end.

I agree; I can't see putting the series into chronological order working nearly as well. The chonological episode 14 redefines low-key...amusingly so, but not what you'd call a stirring finale. The final aired episode is the exciting climax. (Likewise, I don't think the first episode (the movie) would work as well if you went in knowing what was going on, although that's more of a judgement call.)

If you're confused about the episode order, pay attention to the next-episode previews; Haruhi announces where the episode falls chronologically (that is, what number it would be if you watched them in the order they occurred) and Kyon corrects her with the actual broadcast number. (Which is, all by itself, a reason not to mess with the broadcast order--not only would that be nonsensical if viewed chronologically, but it very much fits their characters for each of them to identify the episodes that way.)
youkai_ronin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:04 am Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
tempest wrote:
dormcat wrote:
An user submitted that piece of information without trustworthy source and/or explanation. I've locked the submission temporarily to prevent further speculations and false information until an official English staff / cast list is available.

I'll double check that info when I call Bandai.

BTW, that Episode 00 was filmed at the Bandai America building and the narrator is Sam Maseba of Bandai Entertainment.

-t

I hope that means he isn't Kyon's dub voice. That was terrible.

And I'm not sure why all of you don't want Lee to do Haruhi I thought she was fine. Though I think we can all agree the girl's hot.

That's what i was thinking, hell i even loved the little live-action vid they had on the site. But i also checked out that Kari Whalgren too...and she seems like she would be a pretty good choice too. Now i just have to summon all the patience i can muster, to hell with Christmas when's the first set of TMoHS DVD's coming out? Anime hyper
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:43 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
And, for those querying the order, here is a chart from the fanbook. The arrows show chronological order and the numbers are the television epsiode numbers.

http://anime.thenexxus.org/sos/stuff/shny_ep_order.jpg
Arigatou, Shiroi! That's very helpful. Very Happy

youkai_ronin wrote:
Now i just have to summon all the patience i can muster, to hell with Christmas when's the first set of TMoHS DVD's coming out? Anime hyper
Lol, I so agree with you on that. I'm more looking forward to MAR's dub premiere on Toonami Saturday night and Tsubasa's dub cast being announced (let alone the DVD release) than Christmas. Rolling Eyes
Shii

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:00 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

Adult Swim is busy airing quality television like Inu Yasha and Venture Bros.
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:11 am Reply with quote
In addition to my last post: Does anyone know what the color-coding on the chart means?
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:15 am Reply with quote
Aki Ameko wrote:
In addition to my last post: Does anyone know what the color-coding on the chart means?

Seasons of the year, apparently. The blue is winter, pink is spring, orange is summer, and brown is fall.
loplop

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:01 am Reply with quote
I would really doubt a AS airing of Haruhi due to the sexual overtones in many of the scenes with Haruhi and Mikuru. The soccer moms would be screaming again just like they did when FLCL aired . . . .
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:13 am Reply with quote
I suspect the series will be released on DVD as the Japanese DVD release was -- mostly chronological order (with the movie as episode 00).

I do find it amusing that the only thing that seems to makes this show so good to fans is the gimmick of showing it out of chronological order. As I read the posts here, if it is released chronologically as in Japan, well the show won't be good. That means people are saying the show actually is sub-par based on story and writing and requires the gimmick to make the sale (IMO). *lol*

As for sales, unless this is shown on TV, after the hardcore folks who had the big "O" over the series, I don't see it doing that well. It will make a little money for sure, but it really is a very niche anime (IMO).

What's more interesting to me is Kadokawa's continued foray into the R1 market. They had ADV do the dubs and subs for FMP:TSR while FUNimation does everything else (distribution, marketing, putting the ADV subtitles on the DVDs). However, this wasn't known for some time after FUNimation's "we licensed it!" announcement. For this, they have Bandai do the distribution and marketing. Is Bandai doing the dubs and subs too or is there another R1 company doing them and we just haven't heard about it yet (I didn't see that in any of the post, but if I missed it, forgive the oversight)?
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:25 am Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
I do find it amusing that the only thing that seems to makes this show so good to fans is the gimmick of showing it out of chronological order. As I read the posts here, if it is released chronologically as in Japan, well the show won't be good. That means people are saying the show actually is sub-par based on story and writing and requires the gimmick to make the sale (IMO). *lol*
The issue is that the last episode in non-chronological order has what you would expect for an ending of a series. The final episode in chronological order is a story that isn''t really as good an ending. (Now, if there was a second season, it would be different..) Half spoiler for a better explanation:spoiler[The chronological ending is meant to be a filler episode for the novels that the author would never be able to publish.] It's not that the gimmick matters that much. It's just that the gimmick adds to the whole fun and makes it more enjoyable because it actually works so well. It's like the movie Memento. The movie works so much better because you watch it in reverse with memory lapse.

Last edited by bayoab on Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:26 am Reply with quote
Happy happy *does happy haruhi dance* I can't wait for the dvds. That Mikuru in the video was hawt Smile I don't get the confusion over the license though. Its like Haru+Guu (licensed by AN Entertainment, and distributed currently by Funi)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11