• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Licenses the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:32 am Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

I do find it amusing that the only thing that seems to makes this show so good to fans is the gimmick of showing it out of chronological order. As I read the posts here, if it is released chronologically as in Japan, well the show won't be good.

We are saying it would lose something significant in the experience. It would still be a great show. If you jumbled up the order of any other show, fans would be upset and asking why. Why is it suddenly different here? Suddenly its "well, if its not as good in a different order, it must not be that good of a show after all"? That would be absolutely stupid if you said it about anything else. They showed it out of chronological order intentionally. They meant for it to be seen that way first.

It also means you are hitting the climax (and the end of the actual story) halfway through. The rest would be 'filler'. Very good and entertaining filler containing some character development, but no plot advancement.

Quote:
That means people are saying the show actually is sub-par based on story and writing and requires the gimmick to make the sale (IMO). *lol*

It means you are completely missing the point and twisting what people are saying to say something they are not.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quote
Strephon wrote:
If you're confused about the episode order, pay attention to the next-episode previews; Haruhi announces where the episode falls chronologically (that is, what number it would be if you watched them in the order they occurred) and Kyon corrects her with the actual broadcast number. (Which is, all by itself, a reason not to mess with the broadcast order--not only would that be nonsensical if viewed chronologically, but it very much fits their characters for each of them to identify the episodes that way.)

Again, there are previews on the DVDs narated by Yuki (with the TV versions in the extras).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:09 am Reply with quote
I was very surprised that Bandai was the one who is distributing this. I was half-way expecting ADV or Funi to be the ones to handle it due to their previous work with Kadokawa USA and FMP. I was really impressed with how they built up the hype right before the announcement. That was a lot of fun in and of itself and it fit in perfectly with the spirit of the show (I just hope this doesn't become a trend among anime companies because it'll lose the specialness of this method of announcing). I definitely think this is a better way of announcing titles' licenses than Funi's rather rude way of sending out their C&D letters before they even announce the license. Even if Haruhi gets a broadcast on Adult Swim I still hope Bandai will release Haruhi in its original broadcast order on DVD first. Haruhi is a show that has more appeal to the diehard purist anime fan crowd so a lot of anime fans will want to watch it in its original order subbed on DVD, especially those who didn't download the fansubs and waited for the legit release because they wanted to support it. It wouldn't be very fair to me to force anime fans who want to watch Haruhi as it was originally aired subtitled to watch the dubbed version on Adult Swim to see the original ordering. But Bandai's creative handling of the announcement of Haruhi's license hopefully means they'll handle the series with the up most care.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
I was half-way expecting ADV or Funi to be the ones to handle it due to their previous work with Kadokawa USA and FMP.

I don't see why; 1 example is not a valid sample, especially given that ADV did the previous two series so their vocal talent was pretty much a requirement. Without that there's no longer a need to stay in the Texan area and maybe Bandai's fees are lower than FUNis?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Ok, someone help me out here. I feel as if I have already seen Haruhi before (AKA Excel Saga) so I haven't actually watched it yet. I have seen the first half of the 5th aired episode and I'd have to say it definitley felt like something I would've liked 4 years ago. What I what to know (from someone who isn't a diehard fan and has seen things like Excel Saga and Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai) is if I should actually watch this series. To add onto this, I will say I haven't watched an anime series for a couple of months now (As it is currently, I only read manga). Is Haruhi the kind of show I should consider watching now, or should I wait until I get back inot the flow of watching anime again before I even think of watching this? Thanks for the help.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:37 pm Reply with quote
You should definitely give it a try. It's not like Excel Saga or Abenobashi, which are mainly laugh-a-minute-parody-on-crack (with a little bit of plot tossed in for good measure). You have some references and parodies, but it has its own story and the parodies/references aren't the point.
CGord

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:38 pm Reply with quote
So if it's Bandai, can we assume the English VA's will be the California crew vs. the Huston/Dallas or Vancouver poeople? It's interesting to think of who will get casted.

Hmmm....for the guys I'd say Johnny Bosch, Spike Spencer, or Yuri Lowenthal. For the girls I'd say Kari Wahlgren, Kate Higgins, Stephanie Sheh, or Michelle Ruff.

Ahh, can't wait to buy this series. I absolutely loved it.

therealssjlink wrote:
Ok, someone help me out here. I feel as if I have already seen Haruhi before (AKA Excel Saga) so I haven't actually watched it yet. I have seen the first half of the 5th aired episode and I'd have to say it definitley felt like something I would've liked 4 years ago. What I what to know (from someone who isn't a diehard fan and has seen things like Excel Saga and Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai) is if I should actually watch this series. To add onto this, I will say I haven't watched an anime series for a couple of months now (As it is currently, I only read manga). Is Haruhi the kind of show I should consider watching now, or should I wait until I get back inot the flow of watching anime again before I even think of watching this? Thanks for the help.

I didn't care much for Excel Saga, I thought it was more stupid than funny. I would rank Abenobashi (& Haruhi) in my top ten. Slight spoiler, no plot points: spoiler[Haruhi first appears to be a regular old high school comedy, & then throws an existential sci-fi curveball of a plot at you. It's nothing like you expect it to be at the start.] I almost didn't watch the series at all after about ten minutes into the first ep; I had to go peek at scenes from later episodes to make sure the whole thing wasn't like that! For me, the 1st ep wasn't enjoyable until the 2nd viewing of the series. Now I love it.

[sings] Come on let's dance, come on let's dance, baa-ay-beee...
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
CGord wrote:

Hmmm....for the guys I'd say Johnny Bosch, Spike Spencer, or Yuri Lowenthal. For the girls I'd say Kari Wahlgren, Kate Higgins, Stephanie Sheh, or Michelle Ruff.

Man...for any other show I'd say casting Bosch would be a bad idea (he's been in pretty much everything for the past year, I love the guy but I'm tired of hearing his voice), but my God, he'd play a good Kyon.

I also kinda hope that Patricia Lee is gonna play Haruhi. I've not heard her in anything else, but for years I've watched Cowboy Bebop and said to myself "Wow, I really love Meifa's voice." So hearing her as Haruhi would be great in my opinion.

I can't wait for this release. It'll be the first anime DVD I've bought in about a year.
Strephon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
CGord wrote:
I almost didn't watch the series at all after about ten minutes into the first ep; I had to go peek at scenes from later episodes to make sure the whole thing wasn't like that! For me, the 1st ep wasn't enjoyable until the 2nd viewing of the series. Now I love it.

When our anime club showed it, we showed the first two episodes at the same meeting and made a point of telling people, "Don't make up your mind about this series until you've at least seen both of them." (I enjoyed the first episode the first time through, but I enjoy that sort of bizarre humor on its own merits...)
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Strephon wrote:
CGord wrote:
I almost didn't watch the series at all after about ten minutes into the first ep; I had to go peek at scenes from later episodes to make sure the whole thing wasn't like that! For me, the 1st ep wasn't enjoyable until the 2nd viewing of the series. Now I love it.

When our anime club showed it, we showed the first two episodes at the same meeting and made a point of telling people, "Don't make up your mind about this series until you've at least seen both of them." (I enjoyed the first episode the first time through, but I enjoy that sort of bizarre humor on its own merits...)

This is something that's always amused me about the series and people who watch it, because I was actually completely sold on it from just the first ep. Why? Because basically, I'm a snob.

Or to elaborate, I tend to pay really close attention to things like animation, music, and voice acting details. Animation-wise, it takes an extra step to make animation have that grainy appearence of an amatuer film, and not to mention all the details of things like characters blinking, people walking by in the background, etc. The vocal talent also impressed me, because of the whole "you have to be a really great actor to act that badly" thing. As in, for Mikuru to be singing and make it sound completely amatuerish without actually being artificial, the various bit characters included in Haruhi's film and their horribly stilted acting, and so on, just emenated a sense of excellent acting and directing and generally high production values in all respects.

And, well, I'm a bit of a sucker for high production values.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
maybe Bandai's fees are lower than FUNis?

Uhh, more likely Bandai offered more money or some other tangible or intangible that the other companies didn't offer. Kadokawa isn't paying Bandai to do this, despite Bandai not being the "licensor" they're still paying Kadokawa money...

-t
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:20 am Reply with quote
xanbcoo wrote:
"Wow, I really love Meifa's voice." So hearing her as Haruhi would be great in my opinion.
This is a really, really stupid question from my part, but who's Meifa again? Confused

In any case, Bandai chose an excellent Christmas surprise. Smile

By the way, what's with all the ADV-hate in the thread? Is it the new hip to criticize them for what they haven't done or something?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:23 am Reply with quote
E-Arkham wrote:
Has there ever been a poll on what fans prefer, broadcast or chronological? With Bandai/Kadokawa clearly being keen on the fan desires with this release, I think it would have a chance of falling in the right ears.

Kep
I think I see a good idea for ANN's next site poll Wink Wink

I think Melancholy~ could be more mainstream than we might think, given the right marketing. As a comedy with high production values, a high wtf factor, and a deranged yet attractive female lead, it could be comparable to FLCL, though without a TV broadcast, it won't reach the same level.

And to continue the speculation on broadcast vs. chronological, consider this hypothetical scenario of someone, who's never seen the fansubs and doesn't know about the non-linear TV broadcast, buying and watching Melancholy~ for the first time in chronological order.
*buys volume 1* "Okay, this story is pretty good, there's weird things happening, I wonder what they'll bring out next?"
*buys volume 2* "Wow, episode 6 was amazing, it totally blew me away! If this is just the middle of the series, it's got to get even better!"
*buys volume 3* "These episodes are a bit slower, but after all that, they've got to cut back and save a bit of budget for the big finale."
*buys volume 4* "Uhhh....what just happened? I could barely stay awake watching Yuki sit there listening to the radio in the last episode. What kind of series is this? I'm kinda disappointed."

Not exactly the reaction you want to get from people who buy the DVDs without ever downloading the series first.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:56 am Reply with quote
I'm a little late to the party about the Genshiken thing, but reguarding how nerdish it is, I'd like to point out the sayings on the back of the US Genshiken DVDs

DVD 1 - CALLING ALL SCRUFFY NERD-HERDERS
DVD 2 - MODEL CITIZENS UNITE!
DVD 3 - ALL YOUR FANBASE ARE BELONG TO US.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I still say I wouldn't be surprised if it were released BOTH ways on DVD. Perhaps first in broadcast order, and all the fans who already know about the series would buy it up, then especially if it did manage to get broadcast on tv somewhere (such as Adult Swim, for example), a second rerelease with episodes in chronological order.

Because face it, the fans WOULD buy both versions. Especially if they packaged a simple gimmick with it like collectable cards featuring the characters or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11