• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia Anime Reveals Cast For 3 Anime-Original Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flare-kun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:59 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
"My Hero Academia is having a filler episode!? That's such bul-" -sees that it's about Tsuyu-

"AUGUST 12TH!? I CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG!"

Same! Tsuyu's awesome! I'm very curious about Selky. Selkies are seal shapeshifters in Celtic folklore. Are we getting a seal shapeshifter hero?

At the very least it's a sure nautical theme. The villain Innsmouth is most likely inspired by H.P. Lovecraft's horror tale about shapechanging fishfolk of the town of Innsmouth who worship the pagan undersea god Dagon.
Axbox360

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
If you're gonna have a filler episode why not just make it a 24 episode season.

Cannon material can suck too. Example Fairy Tail the manga was so bad people now like the anime more now. That had filler. Laughing
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:

If there's one thing I learned in my many years of watching anime is that no the author has virtually absolutely no say in the anime production especially filler episodes unless otherwise noted.

Also I never said filler was bad just because the content is bad. I said filler is bad simply because it's filler.

You heard it here first folks. The Endeavor fight was bad simply becausr it was a filler.

I mean that's still wrong. Proof is you contradict yourself while trying to make a point. Filler isnt bad unless it's thought out poorly like most of the long runners. MHA had a few anime original content already and both were excellent. Both expanded on the material and unseen events like the incoming Tsuyu original. Also its pretty clear that the content while original will be pretty much just the original story expanded. As it is stuff that happended.

Filler or anime original content aren't bad because they are anime originals. I will never agree with such a saying because it is flawed. Also BONES has a good track record for anime original content.

Also just saying more MHA content is bad is a very flawed idea.

I never once contradicted myself. As I told you before our definition of filler is different. Endeavor's fight wasn't filler to me it was padding. And just because stuff happened doesn't mean it's necessary to show it.
Axbox360

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:05 am Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:
Stop seeing anime original as Naruto or One piece filler.

I view all filler equally as a waste of time, energy and money regardless if it's actually entertaining or not. I'm an equal opportunity filler hater.

Sometimes the original creator enjoys watching or can be involved with the so called filler because seeing a different interpretation of the same work is interesting. Anime and manga are different mediums they don't have to be 100% the same.
if you want NO filler then just read manga and don't watch anime at all.

Last edited by Axbox360 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:06 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to it. I really like Tsuyu, and I don't mind that they are using one episode to focus on a side character. One of the things I consider a shortcoming in shonen anime is that they tend to take time to introduce larger casts, and then make not use them very much. Heck, I initially enjoyed the filler in the first part of Naruto because we got to see side characters do something. That did wear thin, but I'm not going to worry that MHA has one filler episode.
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:19 am Reply with quote
In my opinion, while I´m much of a suporter for MHA to have anime original content, this one comes too late. There were a lot of chances to put anime original material on the Sports Festival Arc, and extending the screentime of a few manga panels it´s not the same for me, nor is it enough creative liberty. Heck, even the first season needed anime original content to fill the time, given how dragging it was.

I don´t want My Hero to stick completely to the manga content, given that they haven´t bothered to give more screentime to some of the supporting characters. And no, the pacing shouldn´t matter in an anime adaptation, so don´t put the claim of "but the pacing!!!!!!!". Well, at least this episode seems to be interesting, I hope there are more anime original episodes this season. Or the next ones.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
I do wish we get more anime original episodes. We need more great episodes/OVAs like Rescue training and Training of the dead.

Episodes focusing on Kirishima too because he's the best.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I think it's time we stop this pointless bickering over what filler is. Both of you ultimatehaki & Gold Crusader have driven this topic well off track. The topic is not a discussion on what does or does not constitute filler.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
ETX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for more original content in the anime, but when it comes to having full episodes of original content I'd rather it be restricted to the OVA's as opposed to in the seasons themselves.

I don't mind this episode, but I'd appreciate it more if it focused on several of the class rather than just Tsuyu. Why is it only her that get's focus and who (Aside from Horikoshi himself) would go ahead with it?

That said, 6 episodes is still more than enough to adapt the end of term test arc, but I'm not sure if we'll reach the end point that we all expected for Season 2 now.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
ETX wrote:
I'm all for more original content in the anime, but when it comes to having full episodes of original content I'd rather it be restricted to the OVA's as opposed to in the seasons themselves.

I don't mind this episode, but I'd appreciate it more if it focused on several of the class rather than just Tsuyu. Why is it only her that get's focus and who (Aside from Horikoshi himself) would go ahead with it?

That said, 6 episodes is still more than enough to adapt the end of term test arc, but I'm not sure if we'll reach the end point that we all expected for Season 2 now.

Actually if the aim we all thought was chapter 70. This anime original episode was necessary to keep a good pacing. Which is probably why they did it.

As for why Froppy over someone else. I can guess that it's since she is one of the characters of the popularity polls spoiler[ that did not receive any relevant content yet for both manga and anime.]
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I support anime original content when it feels natural for the plot and direction of the current place in the show. Also, if it helps develop characters in a meaningful way.

The internship arc seems like a natural place to add content that the My hero Academia manga did not cover. There are multiple characters and locations that can be explored before the plot progresses to another arc.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
When a moderator says stop the bickering Gold Crusader that does not mean take a last second pot shot at the other user. That also does not mean respond to that bait ultimatehaki. Simply report it and ignore it. I suggest you both ignore each other for the rest of this thread since neither of you can seem to simply agree to disagree. That includes indirect attacks or jabs as well.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:

I think you got something wrong. Well 2 things. Episode 31 is Stain's aftermath. Episode 32 is Tsuyu's anime original internship. I mean, the articles about it say it focuses on Tsuyu. So yes, I assume most of 32 will be Tsuyu's internship.

Sorry, I was mistaken. Skipped over the part of the article where it said it was for the 8/12's episode and thought it was meant for this Saturday's episode. My bad.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Let's hope the anime-original material is better paced than the adaptation work
Terrestrious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I like Froppy well enough (No longer in my top five from the series, but top ten definitely) , and since manga readers have told me that the Endeavor fight sequences and two of the Sports Festival fights weren't including in the original manga, I have faith that this crew will be able to pull together an entertaining episode. Wonder how much, if any, involvement Horikoshi has in this. It's probably minimal (something like Oda's involvement I imagine, which is basically just them asking if he plans on using a Devil Fruit they want for the filler or not), but I'd be interesting in finding out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3