• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia Anime Reveals Cast For 3 Anime-Original Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:37 am Reply with quote
Terrestrious wrote:
I like Froppy well enough (No longer in my top five from the series, but top ten definitely) , and since manga readers have told me that the Endeavor fight sequences and two of the Sports Festival fights weren't including in the original manga, I have faith that this crew will be able to pull together an entertaining episode. Wonder how much, if any, involvement Horikoshi has in this. It's probably minimal (something like Oda's involvement I imagine, which is basically just them asking if he plans on using a Devil Fruit they want for the filler or not), but I'd be interesting in finding out.

Oda's level of involvement will vary. Like how he's personally written some of the movies. I remember some recent interview Horikoshi mentioned he was exhausted from also getting involved with the anime in addition to working on the manga, and some weeks back there was a chapter where he wasn't able to finish the art in some parts.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:07 am Reply with quote
Let's not forget that sometimes filler-only characters do end up in the mang. Of note, the "Naruto" filler character Raiga Kurosuki and his sword ended up in the manga.
sharkjack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:05 am Reply with quote
One of the best cases of filler done right was in Fairy Tail of all things. (spoilers from the manga up to the ending) spoiler[When Lucy's dad died, the whole thing was resolved and never spoken of again in like, 1-2 chapters. Then, to make things worse, the whole point of the time skip was negated in the subsequent few chapters by giving just about everyone power ups before the next arc started.

The filler arc started by expanding On Lucy's grief. She gets to go through it in a more natural fashion, which was needed considering her complex relationship with her dad.

Secondly, the guilds relative lack of power became a real plot point, as the villains of the arc would not have been able to stand up to the cast properly powered up, laying the groundwork for the next arc where it made the impact of the power up much more apparant.

Thirdly, one of the things that was very contrived about the subsequent arc was actually brought about (and referenced as such by the manga) in the anime, making it feel less arbitrary than it was in the manga originally.

And finally it allowed us to organically take in the state of the world, particularly in terms of who was doing what in the council. It also set up the reintroduction of a certain villain group and used this arc to explore the connection between one of their members and a member of Fairy Tail that most people don't even realize is in the guild when reading the manga, something which is pretty critical to the finale as otherwise Cobra just feels so forced in the line up.
]

As long as filler material covers stuff that
A) Happened according to the official story.
B) Involves characters that deserve some spotlight and/or novel scenarios and interactions that will remain relevant later.
C) Does not break the original flow of the story.

I'm all for it. Manga is highly space competitive. Even if you have stuff you want to show, there's generally only 18 pages per week. Spending a bunch of weeks on what happened to everyone can really kill the pacing, so stuff gets cut (down) to keep the story moving. Anime moves at 3-4 times the speed of manga in terms of what it can cover per week without feeling bloated. If they want to give us episodes on stuff that happened with certain characters while the manga was focused elsewhere, then heck yeah go wild!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3