• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best (And Worst) Anime Comedies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huffdaddy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
You guys are all way too young. Can't believe all of the picks are from the last few years.
My picks are Elf Princess Rane and Dragon Half. Honorable mention to a bit more recent pick Hare and Guu.

Gatchaba Goose!

Last edited by Huffdaddy on Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
Ok here it goes.

My personal favorite anime comedies are Nozaki-kun, Konosuba, Nichijou, Azumanga Daioh, Seitokai Yakuindomo, and Amagi Brilliant Park. I have a good feeling I would add K-On and Fumoffu to this list if I could just find the time to actually watch them.

My worst would most likely go to Green Green. Gosh, I don't remember how in the heck I managed to watch the whole thing to the end. Dubbed even. I also can't recall much of anything that happened in the show but I figure that it was such an unpleasant experience watching it, my brain must have somehow just erased most of the show's events from my memories. I'm grateful to my brain if that was the case.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Lots of favorites matching those already listed. I will throw in Tanaka-kun is Always Listless which has not been listed, might be more slice of life, and I hated the first episode, but it really needed several to get what they were going for, and I ended up loving it.

For worst, I have to agree on Himouto! Umaruchan. She was so insufferable. If it had gone full dark, brother failing ill and Umaru having to turn to compensated dating to cover the costs of his care.......

Yes I am a horrible person who wishes ill on fictional characters..
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Best comedy is easy: Detroit Metal City. Kinda sad I didn't see anyone else mention this. Every episode is just so different from any other anime, and it just about always works out perfectly. The Tokyo Tower sequence is probably the hardest I've laughed at any anime ever.

Worst is a bit harder, since there's so much trash out there. OniAi, My Neighbor Seki, and Kimi to Boku are the bottom of the barrel, but I'm not sure I could rank one of them lower than the others, considering how worthless all of them are.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Might as well join in:

Best: Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (paticularly Zoku) & Detroit Metal City

DMC does rely on a single formula (Souichi doesn't want to be Krauser, but circumstances will make him resort to donning his alter egos makeup before the episodes over) but the shorter episode length & absurdity of it all, plus the band being fun characters, carries it through with aplomb. Also, Amai Koibito is a real guilty pleasure song.

As for SZS, its sketches can be hit or miss & it's only on rewatching it that I noticed how much darker the comedy of the first half of the first season is compared to what follows, but it has moments like this that make it all worth it. SHAFT shows aren't as fun anymore. Best opening credits, too.

Special mention to Butt Attack Punisher Girl Gautaman,

Worst:...well there's plenty of comedies I didn't find especially funny & lots I couldn't bring myself to finish, the one that comes to mind is Lingerie Senshi Papillon Rose. It has a guy getting fellated by a cat, which is an apt analogy for watching it.

Last edited by Lemonchest on Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I agree with most of the "best" comedies in this article, at least the ones i've seen. While i love The Devil is a Part Timer, Nozaki-kun, and Good Luck Girl!, my favorite comedy has to be Konosuba. I love almost every joke it attempts, especially in the recent second season, and what really elevates this show is how lovable each character is, even with their selfish behavior and foibles. The "masochistic" character type can be one of the more obnoxious tropes out there, but so help me, Darkness got a good laugh out of me almost every episode. I even like Kazuma; he can be an absurd, petty little man, but his flaws are pretty human and relatable to me.

Can't say i have a "worst", as i don't really watch more than 1 episode of a comedy i don't find funny, but i just have the hardest time understanding the humor of Nichijou. The hyper-animated physical comedy is great, of course, but most of the humor takes the Family Guy-style of extended, awkward gags that stretch out into being unfunny then funny again. Sometimes this works for me, like when that girl tries to order coffee for the first time, but other skits (the boy getting his fortune read, that weird air-blimp drama with the elves, everyone in the store wanting to buy a snowman) gave me a headache trying to figure out why they were supposed to be funny. Even worse is i can imagine dozens of liberal arts majors watching these scenes and sagely nodding to themselves about what great comedy it is; it makes me feel like i'm the idiot for not understanding half this show's humor when everyone else seems to love it. Sometimes i just want more straightforward, non-labyrinthine humor, like when the lead character of Detroit Metal City "rapes" Tokyo Tower.

Oh well; humor is subjective Razz
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
The reviewers' choices are all good, but I'd have to agree with Amy and pick Gintama. It has probably been the most consistent at making me laugh. Even in its more serious parts, it never forgets its comedic roots. Though hopefully the next season will be more comedic, not that I haven't enjoyed the more serious arcs that it has gone through in recent seasons. Guru Guru in this season has been pretty consistent for me and if I stretch the definition Keijo!!!!!!!! made me laugh the hardest and longest I have in anime.

I don't really have many comedies that I don't find funny (though I'm more amenable to ones that just bring mild amusement) and I don't finish those that I actively find unfunny. But if I had to pick, I'd go with either Himegoto or To Be Hero.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
School Rumble is possibly my favourite comedy of all time. It has a very likable cast and the funny events in the show also affect the relationships between the characters. There are like a lot of funny misunderstandings and other shenanigans that just lead to more funny stuff happening.

Last edited by Cam0 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:36 pm Reply with quote
My favorite comedy isn't a series, but a movie: Saint Oniisan. It may be slice of (divine) life, but I've laughed my ribosomes off with it, and surprisingly, despite the characters in it, a lot of people I've shown it to have greatly enjoyed it.

The worst comedy for me... Definitely Excel Saga. Way too nonsensical and the jokes fell flat for me.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Huffdaddy wrote:
You guys are all way too young. Can't believe all of the picks are from the last few years.
My picks are Elf Princess Rane and Dragon Half. Honorable mention to a bit more recent pick Hare and Guu.

Gatchaba Goose!

Hear this way louder than you'll ever know! Wink
"Damaramu's brain is very compact!"
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I personally would go with Nichijou or Keroro Gunsou/Sgt. Frog for best anime comedies. Yes, I am talking primarily about the dub of Sgt. Frog (though I have watched some subbed episodes and found them plenty amusing). I now expect to receive a full purist annihilation for that.

The worst anime comedy I've seen is definitely Eiken. There is nothing funny about an eighth-grade girl grinding on a boy against his will. Some of the jokes don't even feel like they were halfway written; there's just some large bear/guy in a bear costume in the Eiken Club who kind of...exists? Haha, funny? How did this get shown on American TV?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
... Keijo!!!!!!!! made me laugh the hardest and longest I have in anime.

Keijo!!!!!!!! is extremely underappreciated, I agree. It's a fantastic sports anime parody that works as a ridiculous sports anime itself.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I saw people in the comments section mention it, but I really expected Konosuba to make someone's list for the article.

I was a bit surprised how many shows in the article there were which I have never seen. Actually, a couple I had never even heard of. If it was another type of list, I'd probably consider checking some of these out. However, comedy really tends to depend much more on the individual so even if I would be able to agree they were well done after watching them, that doesn't mean I'd actually find them really funny.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
School Rumble is possibly my favourite comedy of all time. It has a very likable cast and the funny events in the show also affect the relationships between the characters. There are like a lot of funny misunderstandings and other shenanigans that just lead to more funny stuff happening.

Oh man, how did I leave this classic off my fave list? Absolutely. Oh, and the first season of Squid Girl is right up there for me, as well.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe people would dislike Umaru, Dokuro-chan, or Oreimo! Those are all modern classics!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8