• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best (And Worst) Anime Comedies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
I'm not sure what I'd pick as my favorite anime comedy since so many have been dear to my heart. I'll put shout-outs to Elf Princess Rane,
For Huffdaddy and others who remember: "Thanks for the taxi and tea. This weed is cooked round and chewy, on a hungry lake sometimes. Okey dokey?"

The buffalo have diarrhea...Scallion? Beef scallion?

ParaChomp wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
I have to give it points though for being honest about what it is and owning it.

]I don't know if Monster Musume would count as a comedy but it contained everything I despised about North American cartoons, misogyny, and bland characters.

I don't know if I could bring myself to put MM at the bottom, since that one, to use Psycho's term, just Is What It Is for the fanservice era, and unrepentantly refuses to be anything else.
Haven't watched enough to say if it's cynically refusing to be anything else, but its artistic ambitions pretty much have the blinders on.
Sort of to the otaku-era Objectivization-Fanservice generation what Saber Marionette J was to an earlier generation.

garn13 wrote:
Don't really have a worst because if I don't find it funny I either don't watch it or I don't classify it as comedy. I guess FLCL will do as I didn't find it funny and I guess it was supposed to be.

As cynical and creepy-to-its-core as Heaven's Lost Property is, FLCL just stirs up inexplicable rage issues in me at the very mention of its name. Evil or Very Mad

Not so much for being a hyperactive comedy by an "art" director who seems to want to bludgeon us with something he thought more art-explosive ambitious than mere screwball pop-ref comedy, but also for its guilt-by-association as What Adult Swim Thinks Anime Should Be.
Swim was immediately and wishfully attracted to it because they thought it was "on drugs", and there's something specifically about the Swim-like hostility of hammering the audience with neuron-scrambled short-attention humor that, unlike Excel Saga or Space Dandy, makes you think they might not have been far off in their guess. Confused
Comedy's a risky business, you have to be sober to be crazy...
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
My favorite comedy anime ever is... well, my favorite anime ever, Urusei Yatsura. Others that come to mind are Bobobo (yes that shit cracks me up), Gintama, Excel Saga (including puni Puni Poemii), Ranma 1/2, SKET Dance, Nichijou, Seitokai Yakuindomo, Akazukin Chacha, DD Hokuto no Ken 2013+2015 and Shin-chan (the dutch dub is where I got my humor from).

I also love Inferno Cop and Ninja Slayer btw, which are probably even more subjective.

Worst comedy would go to Berserk 2016/17. Otherwise I guess you could count almost any harem anime. The whole 'boys keep getting hurt but girls never do' thing gets so freaking old. Sora no Otoshimono was relatively funny though... for one season that is.

Last edited by thekingsdinner on Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
horseradish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I tend to like absurd comedies such as Cromartie High School and Nichijou. I recently watched Classicaloid and enjoyed the silly antics of all the composers. Looking forward to season two in October with a hippo.

I also liked Peeping Life, especially Season 1?? involving Tezuka Pro and Tatsunoko Pro characters. I hadn't seen an example of datsuryoku-kei comedy before. It is extremely dry but it eventually grew on me. It also helped that everyone was either acting out of character or to the extremes of their personality. I wish there was Season 2??, since so many characters I didn't know were involved (Dronjo, Gold Lightan, Boyacky).

The worst comedy I've seen is a short series about dogs with human faces working at a detective agency...

Last edited by horseradish on Mon May 04, 2020 7:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
escahime65

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
My favorite comedy is definitely My Bride is a Mermaid. When I first watched it I laughed so hard I cried and my family could hear me laughing from across the house! I especially love the kitten episode and Masa's kisses. And Luna Papa too of course.

Other favorites include FMP Fumoffu, Amagi Brilliant Park, Cromartie, Prison School (that bathroom episode was hilarious), School Rumble season 2, Nozaki, and Lovely Complex.

The worst has got to be Green Green. I lasted a couple episodes before my mind insisted on being pulled out of the gutter. Stay away from that one!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
Since the crowd here seems to generally dislike raunchy humor, I got to put Prison School up at the top.

Ah, another one that I forgot to mention. Definitely found the subbed version hilarious. Haven't heard the dub yet, so I don't know about it.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
My favorite comedy is Ninja Nonsense.
Shinobu and Onsokumaru are both great comedic characters and Kaede is a perfect foil for them. The show has some great gags and slapstick.

Heaven's Lost Property Forte is a very close second.
The first season was funny but Forte was much better because of Astrea. She is at the top of my list for funny characters and moe characters.

Pani Poni Dash ,which has hilarious characters and situations, is in a tie for third place with many other shows.
Other contenders are Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, Girls Bravo, School Rumble, Sgt. Frog, and Those Who Hunt Elves.

The Ghost Stories dub is funnier than any of those but I hesitate to count it because the original show does not seem to be very funny and the dub by itself is not really anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Some of my favorite comedy series like Excel Saga, My Bride is a Mermaid (Masa-sama!), Ouran High School Host Club, and Cromartie High School have already been mentioned, but I also loved Gravitation, My Love Story!!, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, and Tanaka-kun is Always Listless.

The series I couldn't get into were Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto, Actually, I Am, and Azumanga Daioh. Something about the premise or comedic timing never clicked with me.

Last edited by Nadare Xizos on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Comedy faves? I've been watching this stuff for so long, I need to break it into chunks. It may be a little long, but it's based on shows I've shown to friends and family over and over again...

Old-school OVAs: Shinesman, Dragon Half, Elf Princess Rane, Animation Runner Kuromi

"Older" TV: The Wallflower, Cromartie High School, Pani Poni Dash, Azumanga Daioh, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Ninja Nonsense, Happy Lesson, Hand Maid May

Recent TV: Haganai, Yamada's First Time, Is This a Zombie?, Heaven's Lost Property, The Devil is a Part-Timer!, Amagi Brilliant Park, Gugure! Kokkuri-san

Now, since others have mentioned this show, I'd like to bring up WataMote--but from a different angle. Reviews of both the anime and manga have deemed this title less of a comedy and more of a portrait of mental illness--specifically, some sort of social anxiety disorder. Knowing such individuals in real life, I feel there's something to this view; it certainly speaks to Tomoko's isolation, warped perceptions and attitudes, and poor socialization. It also makes me wonder about the manga-ka, Nico Tanagawa...
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
It took me a while to realize I actually did watch (two episodes of) Green Green. It was so forgettable.

So yeah, my best anime comedy would be Humanity Has Declined. Its absurdity and the satirical protagonist were completely my thing. Also I think I just have a thing for stories that aren't chronological for whatever reason.

I also really liked Abenobashi Magic Shopping District and Zetsubou Sensei has a couple of my favorite characters in all of anime. I don't love it because of its comedy, but Monogatari has moments that crack me the hell up, too.

For worst, instead of something I've dropped, I'm gonna go for something I finished for reasons that still confound me: Hen Zemi. Dirty humor is extremely hit-or-miss for me, and this one went about 2km left of the goal. If I do count stuff I've dropped then I'd have way too much I actively disliked that I don't think I wanna go on about.

Last edited by killjoy_the on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nyren

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I've probably watched a lot of comedies, but none of them really stand out to me on a best-to-worst scale. So instead, I'll say Ghost Stories. It's not a comedy, unless you watch the English dub. I laugh every time I watch clips from the English dub. It's just so good.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:

Now, since others have mentioned this show, I'd like to bring up WataMote--but from a different angle. Reviews of both the anime and manga have deemed this title less of a comedy and more of a portrait of mental illness--specifically, some sort of social anxiety disorder. Knowing such individuals in real life, I feel there's something to this view; it certainly speaks to Tomoko's isolation, warped perceptions and attitudes, and poor socialization. It also makes me wonder about the manga-ka, Nico Tanagawa...

I think the difference is the mediums. The manga would spent 10 or so pages on a single event, Tomoko would humiliate herself in some way and a good time would be had by all. The next chapter is a reset with her not changed at all, ready to face the world on her messed up terms. The anime did multiple events/chapters per episode so they had to go with a more realistic approach... but still without a natural learning curve on her part and no reset so the episodes cumulate as well. Try to imagine Wile E Coyote's attempt to catch and eat the Road Runner as a nature documentary. Yes, he still will always fail but since it's now real, he's going to starve and die at the end. Ha, funny.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
My favorite comedy is Ninja Nonsense.
Shinobu and Onsokumaru are both great comedic characters and Kaede is a perfect foil for them. The show has some great gags and slapstick.

And criminally is only 12 episodes....Sasuke was my favorite character.

Touma wrote:
Pani Poni Dash ,which has hilarious characters and situations, is in a tie for third place with many other shows.

Another funny show......which I never finished do to Anime Network on Demand airing it's episodes out of order.

Some of my other favorites

Excel Saga
Rock Lee And His Ninja Pals
Tonari no Seki-Kun
Haven't You Heard I'm Sakamoto
Yakitate Japan
The World Only God Knows
Orenchi no Furu Jiro
Comical Psychosomatic Medicine
Miltary!
Slayers

This probably expand once I get around to watching the remainder of what I have in my Crunchyroll queue.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quote
My favs:

1.) Excel Saga - First anime I watched with my husband, Pedro, and Space Butler.
2.) Oh! Edo Rocket - Cute and underappreciated show with really great gag characters.
3.) Baka and Test - Great dub and the Coolest High School Ever.
4.) Hayate the Combat Butler - The show I've watched all episodes/spinoffs multiple times.
5.) Osomatsu-San - Bought a bootleg just for original episode 1 and unedited 3.

Honorable mentions go to: Labyrinth of Flames, Nichijou, Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu?, Ouran High School Host Club, Godanner, Chunibyou/Delusions, Welcome to Irabu's Office, Devil is A Part-timer, Merman in My Tub, Abenobashi, and School Rumble.

Worst would be Nerima Daikon Brothers, because even with my love of Excel Saga, I believed the hype and built this one up too much. As a result, it felt horribly flat for me.

Last edited by Usagi-kun on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
Odd...never for a second did I take Nobunaga the Fool as a comedy. For me, it was a quirky, sometimes over-the-top historical (and legendary) mishmash best taken as a tongue-in-cheek drama, especially in its final minutes.
Yeah, that was my reaction as well. It's more of a historic fantasy drama with a few comedy elements. Can't think of too many comedies that kill off characters dramatically rather than for a laugh like Dragon-Half.

redcar wrote:
Also, it's not technically comedy, but I would be remiss if I didn't mention the legendary English dub of Garzey's Wing. My group of friends used to watch it on occasion in anime club for laughs, and it never failed to deliver.

Nice! To this day (quite literally last Wednesday) me and my friends still make jokes about dropping rocks being the deadliest weapons.

horseradish wrote:
Huffdaddy wrote:
You guys are all way too young. Can't believe all of the picks are from the last few years.
My picks are Elf Princess Rane and Dragon Half. Honorable mention to a bit more recent pick Hare and Guu.

Gatchaba Goose!

The rapping segment in Elf Princess Rane is hilarious!

Yes! And the opening sequence still gets a laugh out of me. "We're going home for noodles!"

All that said, the show that has gotten the most laughs out of me consistently is Nichijou. The comedy just clicks with me in nearly ever joke. Just amazing stuff!

As for the worst...

killjoy_the wrote:
For worst, instead of something I've dropped, I'm gonna go for something I finished for reasons that still confound me: Hen Zemi. Dirty humor is extremely hit-or-miss for me, and this one went about 2km left of the goal. If I do count stuff I've dropped then I'd have way too much I actively disliked that I don't think I wanna go on about.

You said it.

Emerje
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:55 pm Reply with quote
My favorite comedies are, in pretty much a 3 way tie, School Rumble, B Gata H Kei, and Golden Boy.

School rumble got a lot of gags and reactions really right, the timing and delivery was perfect and a lot of the situations were utterly hilarious (Like how Harima and Karasuma both get birthday cakes bakes for them by Tenma, and Harima accidentally smudges the writing on Karasuma's cake, and tries to fix it, but since it got smudged he didn't see what was supposed to be written there so he thinks that's supposed to be his cake, so he writes Harima on the cake, and now both cakes read 'Harima', and tenma has no idea what happened.)

B Gata H Kei got a lot of romance fails spot on. A lot of the situations seem ridiculous but amongst me and my friends almost all of those things or some variant thereof have been actually experienced.

Golden Boy rises to the top because of its superb animation conveying the meaning of the jokes and character reactions and intentions perfectly, along with Doug Smith's amazing voice performance of the main character in the dub (he somehow manages to sound like he doesn't give a shit about anything and like he's super high energy at the same time), which really carries the whole thing.

As for worst I can't really think of one in particular, because there are so many anime comedies that I just can't watch a second of, and to try to pick one out would be unfair and meaningless.

As for Anne's choice of Nobunaga the Fool, I think that's kind of odd. I think the show had a lot of funny moments and had a lot of its own brand of weird and strangeness, but I wouldn't really consider that show to be a comedy as a whole. I liked it a lot, and a lot of what I liked about it was taking a lot of the strange and silly things it did seriously.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8