• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best (And Worst) Anime Comedies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChoGGi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I can't be bothered with worst, so favourite would naturally be Oruchuban Ebichu

Second ringers (in no particular order, that I don't think have been mentioned as yet)

OAVs
Space Family Carlvinson
Blazing Transfer Student
Assemble Insert
Roujin Z
Puni Puni Poemi
Nekojiru Gekijou
Outlanders
Tamala 2010
Tenamonya Voyagers
Shorts
Fireball (and Charming)
Ippatsu Kiki Musume
The Order to Stop Construction
Ichigeki Sacchu!! HoiHoi-san

artist wise anything by Mitsuru Adachi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ittaku

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:52 pm Reply with quote
@Theron Martin: Green green most certainly did not improve and I agree it's probably the worst comedy I ever sat through. Unlike yourself I suffered it to the miserable end and it was truly appalling without recompense all the way.
redcar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
However, the game dub of Chaos Wars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg was the funniest cluster-fu*k of all time. I use the term only because it most accurately defines this dub. Enjoy, those who haven't seen...

Whoa, that was pretty bad! I'll see that and raise you Nanao from Robot Alchemic Drive.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:49 am Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
Now, since others have mentioned this show, I'd like to bring up WataMote--but from a different angle. Reviews of both the anime and manga have deemed this title less of a comedy and more of a portrait of mental illness--specifically, some sort of social anxiety disorder. Knowing such individuals in real life, I feel there's something to this view; it certainly speaks to Tomoko's isolation, warped perceptions and attitudes, and poor socialization. It also makes me wonder about the manga-ka, Nico Tanagawa...

The mangaka "Nico Tanigawa" is actually two different people, a male writer and a female artist. Here's a translated interview from the official Watamote fan book. The writer says a little about basing Tomoko on his own experiences in high school (presumably with some input from the artist for a more authentic female perspective, but that's not in the interview) but the writer doesn't remember high school that well. They do mention that they both have trouble speaking in public but that's pretty normal.

They did famously once wear cat masks at a public appearance (not in the interview but it was a story relayed in the author's note manga in the back pages of one of the volumes) but that was more because the male writer told the female artist about an apocryphal incident where an unspecified manga's sales declined after an unidentified mangaka made a similar public appearance without a disguise.

Animegomaniac wrote:

I think the difference is the mediums. The manga would spent 10 or so pages on a single event, Tomoko would humiliate herself in some way and a good time would be had by all. The next chapter is a reset with her not changed at all, ready to face the world on her messed up terms.

That was more true at the beginning of the manga. Now that Tomoko's been in high school for two whole years (in the manga's timeline), she's matured a bit as a character and has gotten to know a handful of her classmates beyond what was shown in the anime so that they may not be close friends but they're more than anonymous faces in the background and she doesn't always assume the worst of them, or at least not as much as she did in the first year of high school.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:24 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So apparently my contribution to this thread will be a sequence of posts where I go, "yes, of course!" when somebody mentions a title that inexplicably and unforgiveably slipped my mind.

I hear ya.

I neglected Shirokuma Cafe. You haven't lived until you've heard Polar Bear's "Survival" rap (sadly, it looks like the animated segment has been taken down). ShiRoKuMA! 4! 6! 9! MA!

Since someone mentioned Kyou Kara Maoh! (which I left out since it's not strictly a comedy), I'll cite for the 100th time how much I love the silly sight gag of the chastised Boney's silent shame (12:18 if it doesn't jump).
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:54 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
... but my heart belongs to My Bride Is a Mermaid. It doesn't matter the language, it doesn't matter the cast, Mermaid is an assault on the funny bone. There's some plot, there's some thought... there's a guy who looks like Arnuld who will always be back.

This is my favorite anime comedy of all time. The laughs per minute are by far the highest.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:54 am Reply with quote
I agree with ya, Theron, Green Green is one of the worst anime I've ever seen from what I glimpsed of it (I didn't have the heart to watch it all and I've read several doujinshi hentai I liked), the only good things about it are its opening/ending songs. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of disgusting stuff, gross, weird fanservice, assault, bestiality (yeah, that happens, one of the girls gets molested by a monkey and one of the guys assaulted by a bear, did a zoophile write this?)...and it's offensive to both genders, portraying men as crazy, idiotic sex-obsessed perverts and every woman as a sex object, so you were right to stop at episode four, it doesn't get any better as it goes on, trust me. Even one reviewer from another anime website, THEM, by the name of Jeremy, said, it gives anime a bad name (though he thought the animation was mostly smooth), and I agree with him. Never saw the "Episode 13" OVA and I don't intend to.

There also was an OVA released before it based on games of it (which I have no interest in) and the only thing I know is the characters looked REALLY ugly to the point where it's so laughable.

Another bad "comedy" anime I know that's out there also include Virgin Fleet, though I'd rather watch it than Green Green...at least some anime like Sailor Victory did make me laugh from time to time.

Polar Bear Cafe and Amagi Brilliant Park look cute though, and other older ones I've looked at and glimpsed at are Urusei Yatsura and High School! Kimengumi, though the latter never made it to the US. Shinesman was good too and actually had an excellent English dub.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
My favorites are Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun, Cromartie High School, and Acchi Kocchi (Place to Place).

I'm surprised that Place to Place hasn't been mentioned yet. That show has a little of everything comedy wise: slapstick, puns, and wordplay just to name a few. There are a few references as well. Plus it kinda has a plot.

Also, I'm so happy to see that Classicaloid has been mentioned a few times. That and Oh! Edo Rocket need more love. Oh! Edo Rocket is actually in my Top 10 anime overall. I especially like the dub.

Oh, and Ninja Girl and Samurai Master is hilarious as well.

As for worst... I didn't like Tonari no Seki-kun at all. Even though it's a series of shorts, it felt like it dragged on forever. I tried Tanaka-kun is Always Listless, but it was too hit and miss for me to enjoy it.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Pani Poni Dash is probably my favorite. It's very absurd humor and the way Cromartie High School was described is exactly how I'd describe PPD: it's not really trying to do anything but be funny and it never lets anything get in the way of a joke.

Nichijou is my least favorite comedy that isn't completely wiped from my mind. I was really looking forward to it and if you describe the brand of humor on paper, it's right up my I just didn't find much to even chuckle about after the first episode and then I called it quits around episode 4 or 5 when I literally didn't laugh at anything in the entire episode.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
One I haven't seen mentioned is Ben-To. The taut voiced earnestness of the characters talking about the soul shattering importance of fighting for bargain ben-to meals with deadly seriousness cracks me up..

Glad to see this one mentioned, as it definitely deserves the love and I'd definitely consider it to be a comedy. Very funny, and it even has an interesting way of depicting its action.

Someone else had brought up not getting Azumanga Daioh. That's always been a notoriously hit-or-miss title due to its style of humor; people tend to either love it or be utterly unimpressed by it. I tend mostly towards the latter opinion, though I will acknowledge that it had its moments.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:49 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Someone else had brought up not getting Azumanga Daioh. That's always been a notoriously hit-or-miss title due to its style of humor; people tend to either love it or be utterly unimpressed by it. I tend mostly towards the latter opinion, though I will acknowledge that it had its moments.

Those with less patient tastes for comedy tend to mistake Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star for being the same "empty" schoolgirl slice-of-life comedy, and that lack of patience for some other, more obvious style of comedy is one reason AzD seems to get so many initial bad reviews.

Lucky Star--for all those who ever got past the infamous "chocolate cornets"--is pretty much just an afterschool comedy for schoolgirls about schoolgirly things, and the majority of the humor comes from Konata's occasional tactless bursts of geekdom...For which she's supposed to be a "hopeless case" by respectable J-schoolgirl standards. Without her, there's just not very much show, unless you happen to be a Japanese schoolgirl who likes talking about schoolgirly things. (At least until the "Lucky Channel" segments at the end, where we get some actual comic absurdity and satire.)
Azumanga Daioh, OTOH, like the aforementioned Charles Schulz/Peanuts comparison, tries to use the girls as a microcosm of every odd, embarrassing, absurd quirk WE'VE had. None of these girls could particularly be called "normal", from Tomo's impulsively immature insanity to Osaka's random observations to Sakaki's quiet desperation in pursuit of the Cute, and yet they're absolutely more real for it. It's real school life turned slightly odd, by the comic-strip style of just slightly over-telling or over-stylizing funny observations, and yet nothing unrealistic or surreal ever happens in it. We may have lost our quarter to a drink machine, but very few of us ever went into meltdowns that it had "betrayed our trust"... Smile
cbm80

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:51 am Reply with quote
Comedy can be polarizing, that's for sure. Can't believe some people list Watamote as worst, that's such a funny show! It's no more "cringy" than I Love Lucy or Seinfeld. Horribly awkward situations can be super funny.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
I never loved Lucy either. Watamote was just too mean-spirited for me. It went beyond horribly awkward situations (School Rumble is chock full of those and they're hilarious) to just plain horrible situations, which I couldn't find funny. It's definitely a ymmv kind of show though, so I'm not surprised to find it on both best and worst lists.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
My top comedies would be:

Kiki Delivery Service
K-On!!
Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

All 3 are slice of life and they are not very obvious comedies but more subtle ones, well, at least Kiki and K-On! They also feature fantastic animation and I strongly indentified with their characters.

Watamote, Nichijou and Monthly Girls Nozaki kun are also excellent. Watamote is specially hard hitting as I felt bad for her. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Watamote was just too mean-spirited for me.

I've not seen Watamote, but I'll toss out Kumamiko as another show in the same category. It's disappointing, too, since it had a lot of potential, but I don't like shows that demean their main characters, especially females.

I wasn't a big Lucy fan either. I preferred The Honeymooners back then. (I was about ten.)

Glad to see other people mentioning Oh! Edo Rocket. It might be in my top-ten list, too, certainly in the top-fifteen, though I prefer the Shinsen fansub to the Funimation script. Rocket was my first experience with the works of Nakashima Kazuki. I've tried to get into Gurren Lagann a number of times but have failed to do so. Kill la Kill, on the other hand, is right up there on my list as well.

I prefer shows like those where the comedy is embedded in a larger story rather than the point of the show itself. Kurenai has some incredibly funny scenes in a drama about subjects like spoiler[money, power, and incest]. Others in that category might include Saiunkoku Monogatari, Hyouge Mono, Baccano!, and Dennou Coil. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy Konosuba.

I always saw Hidamari Sketch as a closer descendant to Azumanga Daioh than was Lucky*Star.

Finally, let me say a word in praise of Demi-chan wa Kataritai ("Interviews with Monster Girls"). While Kobayashi-san tended to get most of the attention last winter, Demi-chan quietly went its way providing many funny and often touching moments. I also thought the treatment of the succubus teacher showed a maturity not often found in this medium. The story could easily have devolved into sniggering (like that boy who snapped her photo), but it took a much more sympathetic and complex approach to her character. Demi-chan was a big surprise to me, so if you haven't watched it, give it a try. It's on Crunchyroll.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8