• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - It's Time to Pay the Price

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I hope the success of KnK also shows Aniplex that there is a market for that title as a more modestly priced release as well. There's money on the table there, Aniplex - take it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
This whole issue sounds like Aniplex not having American marketing people. For a company with as much money as it does, can't it hire an American marketing team, or at least get advice from analysts to gt an idea of how the American market works?

I also wonder if most viewers of Durarara!! are like myself: I will watch the Adult Swim run, but I won't get the DVDs because watching it once is satisfactory for me. I know most American television watchers are like myself: Home video sales for ANY show are a drop in the bucket compared to TV viewership. To expect most viewers to go buy the DVDs or Blu-Rays upon watching a show come to its finale is foolish, even if it's a serial like this. Does the American anime market function differently?

enurtsol wrote:
Probably someone could create another show called The Simpsons, but it has to be different enough that it can't be confused with the animated series. (How is it decided whether it's different enough? If there's a lawsuit, then a judge decides it, or else settled out-of-court. That's how.)

All right. I used that example because everybody knows what it is, even if not everyone has seen it, and because FOX's lawyers are notoriously aggressive. (I used to go to The Simpsons Archive during fansite and fanart purges--The Simpsons Archive itself was under attack and was spared for being the largest one.)
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
This whole issue sounds like Aniplex not having American marketing people. For a company with as much money as it does, can't it hire an American marketing team, or at least get advice from analysts to gt an idea of how the American market works.

This. I was invited to meet the president at AX just for that reason. I was scouted by him for all of the pro-bono promotion work, and constructive criticism I have his products on social networks. He asked me for my personal analysis of his business and I gave him an honest answer. A majority of the questions I was asked were the ones listed on their survey cards but we occasionally went off topic to discuss sales and ways to improve it. He ended the conversation with his business card, I offered my resume for employment, and he gladly excepted. I received the most puzzling rejection letter a few days later. He basically got a free consultation.

It's a very very small group of Japanese running the company. Even the hired hands (or interns maybe?) at the expo were ALL of some sort of Asian decent. I even offered to work an unpaid temp spot just to get my foot in the door. I don't want to think that it was my race that had something to do with it, but eh. Extremely nice staff, just need to learn their market better if they want to see profit. They need a pro in that area.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
Brian Hanson wrote:
Fair? Fair?!? This is economics, son! Economics don't know the meaning of the word "fair"!!

True. While I think Brian gives a good, concise answer to the question, there was a gem I remember from one of my college accounting (or it may have been a business law lecture) classes I've kept whenever people are discussing the price of something: Price is never a matter of fact; it is a matter of opinion. It goes hand in hand with what another poster said in this thread (and I can't find to quote) - something is worth only what someone else will pay for it.

Gilles Poitras wrote:
"I understand Sengoku Basara becoming Samurai Kings"

Kinda like Rurouni Kenshin becoming Samurai X?

I think the Rurouni Kenshin <Samurai> Samurai Kings move might be more similar to how Yoroiden Samurai Troopers was changed to Ronin Warriors. Foreign enough to give it some descriptive allure but not a "scary" foreign word that would intimidate potential buyers or broadcasters.

Sailor S wrote:
I don't care for spoilers, and it kind of annoys me when someone spoils something for me. I don't go into threads specifically talking about anime that I know I'm not up to date on, and I do my best to avoid topics that sound like they might have spoilers drop, but there's always some jerk out there who whether intentionally or just because they're trying to brag about how much they know or even if they're just that kind of clueless, they'll drop a spoiler about something in a thread where you wouldn't expect spoilers.

Not that I really want to excuse dickish behavior of just spoiler dropping for the lulz, I commend you for going the extra mile for trying to avoid something you don't want. But at the same time, I have to wonder about people who claim their enjoyment of something is ruined because of a spoiler. I guess it never bothered me so much because in my much younger days when I was seeking out as much information as I could on the Internet about anime, it was routine to stumble upon summaries that contained massive spoilers, with no indication. It was something that came with the territory.

spoiler[Or, maybe I realize that the world does not revolve around me and my entertainment habits.]

I am firmly in the camp, though, that there is a statute of limitations when it comes to spoilers. I, personally, think the six month rule is a good rule to operate under - avoid spoilers in vocal conversation, spoiler tag forum posts, etc. for the first six months concerning a product's release. After six months, it's fair game. Sure, you may not have seen Ashita no Joe, but its forty years old. Japanese nostalgia programs spoil the hell out of it every time they talk about it. In the grand scheme of things, it's no big deal whether you know the end or not. [/spoiler]
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:29 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
This whole issue sounds like Aniplex not having American marketing people. For a company with as much money as it does, can't it hire an American marketing team, or at least get advice from analysts to gt an idea of how the American market works.

It's a very very small group of Japanese running the company. Even the hired hands (or interns maybe?) at the expo were ALL of some sort of Asian decent. I even offered to work an unpaid temp spot just to get my foot in the door. I don't want to think that it was my race that had something to do with it, but eh. Extremely nice staff, just need to learn their market better if they want to see profit. They need a pro in that area.

From what I've heard, Aniplex USA consists entirely of a number of staff from aniplex that were sent over to LA to form aniplex USA.

I do not think they have full control over their own budget, and therefore any hiring decisions would essentially be made by the main company back home.

I.e. if you want a job at aniplex USA, you'd better apply at Aniplex in Tokyo.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think the Rurouni Kenshin <Samurai> Samurai Kings move might be more similar to how Yoroiden Samurai Troopers was changed to Ronin Warriors. Foreign enough to give it some descriptive allure but not a "scary" foreign word that would intimidate potential buyers or broadcasters.

I read somewhere once that Samurai Troopers was changed to Ronin Warriors because Aromored Trooper Votoms was being released at the same time and Bandai didn't want RW getting confused with it for also having Troopers in the title. I don't know if it's true, but it does make sense from a marketing perspective.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4