• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Gundam of the Century

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
IanC wrote:
Zeta, terrible??

Your opinion sure, but terrible?

It is. Most of the protagonist cast is unlikable in not interesting way. The Titans are boring, one-dimensional antagonists (Jerid aside and he gets wasted in the end) who aren't even fun in a cackling supervillain way with no real plan. It's pacing drags. It's mecha battles are a monotonous blur. It has nothing really intelligent or insightful to say about war or humanity that other Gundams don't do better. It's tragedies are hollow. And it is above of all, deeply sexist. (Only Victory and Age are worse then it on that.)

Holy crap, are you me? I was watching it as Gundam.Info was putting it up on Youtube and you covered most of my major complaints. There are certainly more I could add, such as how badly a lot of the emotional arcs were handled (such as spoiler[Reccoa's ridiculous heel turn] or Quattro's in its entirety), how much it built up the returning cast members only to do virtually nothing with them, and how much I loathed Kamille.

I might have dropped the show entirely had it not been for the introduction of Haman Karn, whom I ended up adoring despite her terrible cause and her willingness to exploit a little girl. She and Scirocco were really effective villains, albeit in different ways. Otherwise, Zeta was for me an exercise in frustration.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2