• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Update: What's Going On with Anime News Network?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:32 am Reply with quote
farix wrote:

Twitter's poor customer service is one of the reasons people are leaving it in droves.

I thought it was because they were getting more draconian and censorhappy.

Saying you were hacked or it was a little brother after getting caught posting bad things is one of the older excuses. Not surprised if a company doesn't fix that. Is it really that big of a deal to make a new account though?

-Stuart Smith
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:55 am Reply with quote
Ah so that's what happened. I wondered what was going on. Sorry to hear some losers have nothing better to do than hack a site that simply brings lovers of anime, manga and games something fun to enjoy daily.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:59 am Reply with quote
I haven't been around lately so I didn't know. Why do I have a feeling the people behind this hack are the same Filthy Frank circlejerk that labels anyone who likes anime is a weaboo or anime is cringy and such.

Sad to hear things like this, do your best guys.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:36 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
You've described how a "forgot password" process usually works. If you had to provide the password you've forgotten to change the password you've forgotten...

But should it actually show my profile? Most services like that will just have fields to enter in the new details and wouldn't give options for linking social media accounts.

I should avoid posting late at night, as I didn't mention the important part. On the password reset screen, has options to link social media accounts. If I had any linked to my ANN profile, would they be listed?

Would find it strange that doing a password reset could expose details to social media accounts. That shouldn't be on a password reset page IMO. And, sure, they could look through the profile after resetting the password...but why just give up that info upfront? Laughing
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
So the hacker took my original account and got it suspended by tweeting a bunch of violent threats. They did the same thing with @anime, but that case was viewed as a corporate incident, not a personal one.

Cripes, sorry to hear that. At least everything has been amended in time for this weekend's fun!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:07 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I was actually in the middle of typing a huge post about my top 10 anime from each decade

I'm an active forum user, and after a few similar cases where I lost long postings I did some research. I use Firefox and have installed the Textarea Cache Lite add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/textarea-cache-lite/. This keeps a record of what you type into forms. When the site crashed, you could have saved the content in a file for later use. I don't know whether there are similar add-ons for other browsers.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:24 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Just took a look at the original article, it appears that someone may have gotten a bit happy with the "Search & Replace" function all the references to animenewsnetwork.
com
in the original article now refer to the .cc address.

Hmmm, it's not S&R but something active. It changed my post on the fly. Wheee!

That's a feature of the site so that if you are on the fast. server, for example, you don't get redirected back to www. all the time when someone else posts an internal link (also accounted for the .co.uk and .com.au editions before they were merged back into the .com domain with on-the-fly switching)

Ali07 wrote:
But should it actually show my profile? Most services like that will just have fields to enter in the new details and wouldn't give options for linking social media accounts.

I should avoid posting late at night, as I didn't mention the important part. On the password reset screen, has options to link social media accounts. If I had any linked to my ANN profile, would they be listed?

Would find it strange that doing a password reset could expose details to social media accounts. That shouldn't be on a password reset page IMO. And, sure, they could look through the profile after resetting the password...but why just give up that info upfront? Laughing

You cannot access Account Settings without manually authenticating ("You were automatically logged in using the "remember me" feature. In order to access this page you must first re-authentify.") and the point of the password reset email is to authenticate you. This does naturally expose a loophole, which is how the ANN Twitter accounts were compromised, but there has to be a balance somewhere between security and usability.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Whether or not this hack was personal, it is definitely methodical. Attacking this site is a crappy way to motivate some kind of gain, whether it is personal or just malicious. The fans are still here though. Smile

I love you guys and use your encyclopedia every day, every week when I check my favorite columns like Shelf Life and The List, and every review I read for new series and new releases in anime and manga. Keep up the hard work and fighting the good fight. You guys are a huge staple in the anime and entertainment community for quality and accessibility, and you have our, and my, support.

Sadness for all of those horrible commas. Sad
TD912

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Shiroi Hane"]
mgosdin wrote:

You cannot access Account Settings without manually authenticating ("You were automatically logged in using the "remember me" feature. In order to access this page you must first re-authentify.") and the point of the password reset email is to authenticate you. This does naturally expose a loophole, which is how the ANN Twitter accounts were compromised, but there has to be a balance somewhere between security and usability.

With Twitter, you can turn on a feature to also send a text to your phone with a code to enter before being allowed change your password. This adds more security, but you have to have your phone with you or else you're stuck. It's not turned on by default though.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Honestly it's fine, we just want to get back to work. A fresh start on Twitter is not the worst thing for me. :)

1) Thanks for working hard out of your way to bring back one of my daily joys~ I love this site and the effect it has on my world is huge. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

2) Having all the embarrassing things you've said in the past decade or so wiped can be refreshing. A blessing in disguise, even. But now, the question is, will you stop posting embarrassing things? =P
Parse Error

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
But now, the question is, will you stop posting embarrassing things?

Isn't that what Twitter is for?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Ah so that's what happened. I wondered what was going on. Sorry to hear some losers have nothing better to do than hack a site that simply brings lovers of anime, manga and games something fun to enjoy daily.

Yeah.

Usagi-kun wrote:
Whether or not this hack was personal, it is definitely methodical. Attacking this site is a crappy way to motivate some kind of gain, whether it is personal or just malicious. The fans are still here though. Smile

I love you guys and use your encyclopedia every day, every week when I check my favorite columns like Shelf Life and The List, and every review I read for new series and new releases in anime and manga. Keep up the hard work and fighting the good fight. You guys are a huge staple in the anime and entertainment community for quality and accessibility, and you have our, and my, support.

Sadness for all of those horrible commas. Sad

Yup. I love this place.
EleutheroMaster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I missed you guys! I read what happened to your site! Shocked

HOW THE HELL COULD SOMEONE DO THIS TO YOU!? Evil or Very Mad

Straight...up...EVIL!!

Thank Heavens you're fixing this up! I love your website! I visit it about everyday!

I bet the hacker(s) was/were some people who care about social justice! I'd like to give them a piece of my mind!
Twisted Evil

My hearts go out to you guys! Smile

がんばろう、ANN! (Bounce back, ANN!)
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Good Lord. So about 10 mins ago I type in animenewsnetwork.com, press enter, and get a picture of black skies with the text "Anime" and a ticking clock and some garbage hip-hop song. And it took me all of one second to realize that ANN had been hacked.

I'm very pleased to see you guys quickly recovered though, and I wish you guys great luck in securing .com again and hopefully finding who did this or at least why. Meanwhile I'll be frequenting .cc.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
For the first few days. I had no clue why the servers where down.
But checking Facebook of all places let me know where the new
Web page could be found. Annoying there I no redirects set up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11