• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Mari Iijima [2017-08-08]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:46 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Wait! she can actually speak english? WHEN?? i was under the assumption that no japaneese voice actors especially well known VAs dont know let alone want to learn the language cause its very difficult to do. at least that is what akamastu said in a panel when someone asked about the differences between the negima sub and dub versions? the same in an FMA panel when the series was making a comeback with the premimum OVAs and brotherhood .

Technically Mari isn't a Seiyuu, but a singer. The only voice work she's done in Japan was her reprising her role as Minmay. And her only known voice over work was for an English video game.

Here is an interview I found off Youtube. She has a slight accent, but speaks English very well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpz298XHrxw

As for other Seiyuu learning English, hard to say. Think it comes down to the individual if they want to learn it or not, but it's not really necessary for the job. Those who do learn English, usually do it as part of their other jobs.

Aya Hirano mastered English as part of her new acting and musical career.
Ayahi Takagaki knows English and did it as part of her singing career (she had to learn English and other languages for her Opera training).
Sayaka Ohara knows English and believe she learned it as part of her Dubbing and Narration work.

And from what I hear, Nana Mizuki is in the process of learning English as well, with her recent shifting of her career to musicals. Apparently, she's is quite proficient.

[/img]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2