• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise to Release Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny With New English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
OG MSG and Zeta have both been re-released on Blu-Ray with their Canadian dubs. I don't think Sunrise is going to redo them anytime soon. If ever.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Quote:
This is probably going sound rather awful, but I hated IBO's second season

Few people around here liked it for the obvious reasons.

I just thought the writing wasn't very good in it's second season, a lot of poorly defined new characters like Rustal. McGillis' whole character arc was just rather disappointing and goes nowhere. spoiler[The killing of the main characters at the end while in a better show would be a tragic and nice touch, here it just feels empty.]
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:17 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

true, but there are those that don't for one obvious reason which was the whole "kill em all" approach. its was more or less the reason why I dropped the anime version of akame ga kill after ep 13 let alone didn't see all of char's counterattack. that storyline style always pissed me off to no ends.

It wasn't the "kill em all" approach. The writing was just messy during the second season. Rustal for instance, just his character is largely flat and Okada then makes this drastic change at the very end that makes little sense as his character is not written well. The ending really just doesn't work because everything up to it during the second season is just poorly written in my opinion.

For instance McGillis' whole plan, "I get Bael and Tekkadan and I just win." He only half thought this out Even I figure someone who is built up as a smart Char Clone would have a better back up plan. Also the whole season jumps around a lot to plot threads constantly. The writing is just messy.
Some of Orga's late season actions make little sense, why is anything with Jasley making him go join McGillis? Why is spoiler[Naze's and Lafter's Deaths] causing him to side with McGillis?

Last edited by Codeanime93 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:57 am Reply with quote
The YT channel GundamInfo should more English dubbed Gundam series. If they can have various English subbed series, then there shouldn't be as much of rights issue for more English dubs.
Ycee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
After seeing that post on ANN I just had to make an account and voice my opinion on this .Its an absolute insult to the ones who dubbed it.Mu La Flaga,Durandal,Patrick Zala,Siegel Cline,and Specially Rau Le Creuset how in the hell would they even surpass the people who voiced those characters.This is really stupid for sunrise they should just invest on a new gundam series with the budget they're putting on this new dub cast or even just continue on GS Timeline.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
Ycee wrote:
After seeing that post on ANN I just had to make an account and voice my opinion on this .Its an absolute insult to the ones who dubbed it.Mu La Flaga,Durandal,Patrick Zala,Siegel Cline,and Specially Rau Le Creuset how in the hell would they even surpass the people who voiced those characters.This is really stupid for sunrise they should just invest on a new gundam series with the budget they're putting on this new dub cast or even just continue on GS Timeline.

This is only for the remastered version of Gundam Seed.
Adv193

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
With Gundam 00 I would only believe a redub were to be done if Right Stuf got the rights to the Special Edition and decided to dub though much like with ZZ Gundam I highly doubt it even if they did get the license.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if it would be a possibility that they push out a collector's edition that maybe has a DVD version of SEED with the old cast? Because I doubt they would release the old dub individually separate from this blu ray.

I am on the fence. Them bringing the Remaster over is great news, I really enjoy SEED and am glad to own it in HD, but the new dub is an unpleasant surprise. Is this a case of Japan (Sunrise) doing the dub themselves again?
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
I wonder if it would be a possibility that they push out a collector's edition that maybe has a DVD version of SEED with the old cast? Because I doubt they would release the old dub individually separate from this blu ray.

As much as I'm not a fan of DVD/Blu-ray combo packs, this show would actually be good for it considering the situation with both dubs (and also with both Japanese versions).

Quote:
I am on the fence. Them bringing the Remaster over is great news, I really enjoy SEED and am glad to own it in HD, but the new dub is an unpleasant surprise. Is this a case of Japan (Sunrise) doing the dub themselves again?

Obviously yeah or we would have seen it under a Kickstarter like Aria got.

The funny thing is that when Right Stuf originally teased about crowdfunded dubs back in March, SEED was the first thing that came to my mind so it is a bit surprising to see that Sunrise would work on the redub themselves instead of approving another Kickstarter like they did for FUNi over Escaflowne.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Nothing against Erica, she's amazing, I just hate that she's playing Flay because I hate that character with a burning passion. She was easily one of the worst things in the original show. It's basically the same feeling I got when Todd Haberkorn played Sugou in SAO.

Haha yeah, I agree, I love hearing Erica Mendez (and Todd) in stuff and she usually plays the really likable characters while Flay is quite the you know what.

Adv193 wrote:
With Gundam 00 I would only believe a redub were to be done if Right Stuf got the rights to the Special Edition and decided to dub though much like with ZZ Gundam I highly doubt it even if they did get the license.

Yeah, I don't expect them to bother with the special edition recap movies for Gundam 00 so I don't think they'll need to create any new dubs for this one. I just expect them to finally bring out the series on blu-ray and re-release a new blu-ray for the main movie.
Rokk3000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
...Why? I don't understand this to be honest. Both shows already have english dubs which to me are perfectly servicable. I realize not everybody likes it that much, but that's pretty much with any dub.

Look, I absolutely love these voice actors (Stephanie Sheh is simply the best), but I don't see the point of this.

If you read the article, the remastered gundam seed was re-cut into 48 episodes instead of the original 50, and there is some additional material. This means they have to dub lines for the new scenes and at least edit portions of altered scenes. So at the least if they were to keep the original dub, they would have to get back all of the original dub actors for the new work, or at least those involved in the additional/redone scenes. That may not be possible depending on their contract obligations etc.

So Sunrise is opting to get all new dub actors and do everything from scratch. Like most companies, I doubt they are really flush with cash, so for them to spend the extra money to redub everything tells me it was too difficult or impossible to get the original dub actors back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7