• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Cyborg 009 The Cyborg Soldier, Tomorrow's Joe, Project ARMS, NieA_7, Lupin I

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
the terrible Italian TV soundtrack

Look, I know the Japanese soundtrack is superior and all, but it's kind of a major stretch to call the Italian soundtrack "terrible" just because of that. Mad Personally, I don't think the soundtrack's that bad at all.

Also, Team Four Star dubbing Hells is reason enough for me to give it a purchase.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Woohoo, Discotek! Continuing to be my favorite anime licensor without a doubt!

I was actually at the panel this morning, and they just give such good panels, I love attending them! The way they show trailers at these things (if you've never been to one) is that isn't not immediately obvious what the license is, so watching the excitement build as we all realize what it is is really a ton of fun. Honestly, they easily have the most entertaining industry panels I've ever been too, and they're still fun, year after year. And while other industry panels tend to save all the new licenses until the very end, Discotek always opens their panel with a new announcement! And they sprinkle them liberally throughout the panel as well, so it's not all in one spot. Really, their panel pacing has to be experienced to be believed, it didn't feel like I was in that room for an hour at all!

As for why they're bothering to dub Bananya, my guess is because a) it only needs a single role (the narrator), b) Mike Toole is doing that single role (and keep in mind, he does a lot of commentary and stuff, but this will be his first anime dubbing voice role) and c), Mike Toole kind of works on a lot of Discotek things anyway. They actually played the first episode (it's only 3 minutes long, so the whole show being less than 40 minutes probably making dubbing a lot easier, and Mike has done running commentary for two hours movies before so this hardly compares) at the panel and it honestly sounds so damn perfect.

For me, Cyborg 009 was something that I've been dying to get a real release of and I had faith that if I waited patiently, Discotek would come to the rescue and here they are! BIG DAMN HEROES! I'd also very much like to get the Tomorrow's Joe movie (which might hopefully lead to getting the full series).

But I'm really excited to see what's going to be happening with Hells, which I'll admit, I had little interest in, but then we suddenly get TFS involved and it sounds like it's going to be a really cool project that I'll simply have to check out!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I was actually at the panel this morning, and they just give such good panels, I love attending them! The way they show trailers at these things (if you've never been to one) is that isn't not immediately obvious what the license is, so watching the excitement build as we all realize what it is is really a ton of fun. Honestly, they easily have the most entertaining industry panels I've ever been too, and they're still fun, year after year. And while other industry panels tend to save all the new licenses until the very end, Discotek always opens their panel with a new announcement! And they sprinkle them liberally throughout the panel as well, so it's not all in one spot. Really, their panel pacing has to be experienced to be believed, it didn't feel like I was in that room for an hour at all!

As for why they're bothering to dub Bananya, my guess is because a) it only needs a single role (the narrator), b) Mike Toole is doing that single role (and keep in mind, he does a lot of commentary and stuff, but this will be his first anime dubbing voice role) and c), Mike Toole kind of works on a lot of Discotek things anyway. They actually played the first episode (it's only 3 minutes long, so the whole show being less than 40 minutes probably making dubbing a lot easier, and Mike has done running commentary for two hours movies before so this hardly compares) at the panel and it honestly sounds so damn perfect.

I have to agree on both points. I didn't go to any of the other industry panels (aside from the Onihei one) but it seemed pretty great. I'm glad I went to it and I will try to go next year too.

Mike Toole definitely did a great job with the dub. It was almost as if you were watching the show (without the Japanese narration) with him, for the most part. Like I said above, I'd pay to see more of that.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Woohoo, Discotek! Continuing to be my favorite anime licensor without a doubt!

If I'm being entirely honest, a lot of older anime is not my thing, and I don't buy much that isn't HD Blu-ray, so most of what I've bought from Discotek has been newer artsy stuff like Kyousougiga, the upcoming Kaiba, and a few other random things. All of this is to say, I'm not particularly in their target audience. That being said, excluding the PA Works panel(which is my thing entirely), the Discotek panel was the only industry panel I attended exactly for all of those reasons. I'm burned out on the corporate feel and fake build to lackadaisical announcements that are essentially all that you get in most of them, especially Funimation and Pony Canyon. But yeah, I went to discotek because Mike is a fun guy and it's always a pleasure listening to him and whoever else from Discotek is there. They are passionate fans and they don't care to put up with the way that these things are supposed to go. It makes it fun. Anyway, good show, I'll try to be there next year.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:19 am Reply with quote
It was through bad fansubs and the Toonami dub I saw "Cyborg 009" (2001 version). Nice to see Discotek rescued what is perhaps 1 of the most desired Toonami anime titles. Discotek is the Funimation for old anime.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
@classicalzawa
Thanks for the clear and well-written answer to my question!

Great to see how active Discotek has been recent, picking up so many rescues. Really awesome stuff.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:40 am Reply with quote
Only thing I might honestly remember about Project ARMS is Char Aznable's voice actor (Shuichi Ikeda) voicing a demonic (sort of) creature that possesses the main character (voiced by the guy who does Guts from the 1997 Berserk anime).
And that they modified the pitch of his voice to make him scary sounding.

Other than that, I'm happy the 3rd Lupin the 3rd movie finally got a release.
Now bring on the TV specials (re-releases of all the old Funimation ones plus the newer ones.)
And the Cyborg 009 movie.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:55 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Only thing I might honestly remember about Project ARMS is Char Aznable's voice actor (Shuichi Ikeda) voicing a demonic (sort of) creature that possesses the main character (voiced by the guy who does Guts from the 1997 Berserk anime).

I thought I read some where that Hajime Isayama credited Project ARMS as an influence on Attack On Titan, but he's been pretty generous citing various predecessors as inspirations.

As for Lupin the 3rd Part IV, a tweet from @Jose_CNN seems to imply Discotek is doing two releases: English dub as seen on TV, or sub with Japanese score. Generally I prefer dubs, but I'm wary of this new score since the original was so good, so I don't know… It's one of the best versions of Lupin ever, so maybe buy both? (gulp)
betamax001

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Bummer about the Lupin Part 4 release, even if the dub used the International score, I would have preferred that the sub and dub would be in the same package, but that was probably dictated by TMS too for those good ol' reverse importation fears. Oh well. Was there any major differences between the International and Japanese versions besides the score?
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:

I thought I read some where that Hajime Isayama credited Project ARMS as an influence on Attack On Titan, but he's been pretty generous citing various predecessors as inspirations.

As for Lupin the 3rd Part IV, a tweet from @Jose_CNN seems to imply Discotek is doing two releases: English dub as seen on TV, or sub with Japanese score. Generally I prefer dubs, but I'm wary of this new score since the original was so good, so I don't know… It's one of the best versions of Lupin ever, so maybe buy both? (gulp)

I guess I'll just have to buy both. It's a rather interesting situation with Lupin the 3rd Part IV.
I actually didn't hate the score to the English version too much, I've watched it on Toonami and it and the dub were fine.
I'm just happy the 3rd movie after all this time of them standing on it get's a release. If they can continue releasing the TV specials, even if some of them they don't dub them, I'd be fine.

I didn't realize Project ARMS was a influence on Attack on Titan. You learn new things every day, I just found it odd the casting of Ikeda as a hulking demonic monster that possesses someone. Seemed more like a role for Norio Wakamoto.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy to have Discotek because they are the criterion of anime. They always take great care of their anime titles and have good taste in anime as well.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
betamax001 wrote:
Bummer about the Lupin Part 4 release, even if the dub used the International score, I would have preferred that the sub and dub would be in the same package, but that was probably dictated by TMS too for those good ol' reverse importation fears. Oh well. Was there any major differences between the International and Japanese versions besides the score?

A couple of animation differences & cuts plus episodes 6 & 23 were released as OVA extras on Volumes 4 & 8 in Japan so it aired as 24 episodes there unlike in Italy and the US where it's the full 26.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Bummer about Lupin IV getting separate dub and sub releases.

I guess I could catch up on Niea_7, since it's back in print.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
I guess I could catch up on Niea_7, since it's back in print.

I remember the whole debates on how Niea_7 was actually one big allegory of Japan's second-classed minority races in the big city.
Of course, given how 90's it was, I also remember debates over how Niea wasn't simply "just Ed from Cowboy Bebop and Kaolla Su from Love Hina". Razz

If there's a piece of Pioneer or ADV to rescue, Discotek will be there to rescue it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:28 am Reply with quote
Discotek is the answer to the prayers to many fans who want various older anime licensed or license rescued.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4