• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Live-Action Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Film's Reception Threatens Potential for Sequels

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Some things translate to live-action better then others. JoJo's best features are it's crazy colors and impossible poses. Both of those translate poorly in real life.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm still pretty skeptical, but if anyone can translate JoJo to the big screen it's Takashi Miike. He made Ace Attorney work somehow.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Ah, so it suffers the same fate as Ghost in the Shell this year.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I was in Japan when it opened and loved it. Really disappointing to hear that it may not get the sequels it deserves.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
The trailers make the movie seem insanely faithful to the source material....and this isn't always a good thing. JoJo is bizarre indeed, and not for everyone despite its popularity and memes that became prominent in the last couple of years...

Now, the last movie I've seen from Takashii Mike (whom I actually like) was Terraformars, and I thought it was truly awful (2/10 at the most)...I'm sure this one is better but it clearly did not resonate with the japanese audience. I would have LOVED to see Kira in a sequel but I guess that's really unlikely.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:22 am Reply with quote
They just saw the anime. So there's no reason to watch the same story again that soon.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
I would have LOVED to see Kira in a sequel but I guess that's really unlikely.

While Kira didn't actually appear in this film, spoiler[Keicho Nijimura is killed by Sheer Heart Attack instead of Red Hot Chili Pepper at the end. And there's a scene during the credits of a severed woman's hand on a kitchen table.]

Yukako's presence in the film was fairly incidental as well, clearly just to set her character up for the sequels.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:50 am Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
ryanvamp wrote:
I would have LOVED to see Kira in a sequel but I guess that's really unlikely.

While Kira didn't actually appear in this film, spoiler[Keicho Nijimura is killed by Sheer Heart Attack instead of Red Hot Chili Pepper at the end. And there's a scene during the credits of a severed woman's hand on a kitchen table.]

Yukako's presence in the film was fairly incidental as well, clearly just to set her character up for the sequels.

That's interesting. I don't know if I would've liked to see the sequel after all cause it certainly seems like they were going to cut a LOT of material and Part 4 in particular mainly benefits from its slow but calculated pace...even more so regarding to Kira.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:12 am Reply with quote
Are the actors well liked?
I have no idea who they are, but if the studios did their usual thing of stacking movies with boy band people, idols, and models instead of real actors, I can see why people could be disinterested.
PsychoPearl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I heard this movie was actually pretty good. Sadly, many people didn't give it a chance.. Sad
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:13 am Reply with quote
I thought turning Jojo into a major film franchise was a lofty goal, but it's still a shame the films might stop before they can finish a single Part. Hopefully the performance will improve, or the home video release will do better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1