• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds .hack//Roots Anime to Catalog

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:04 am Reply with quote
Oh man.... if you ever though that .hack was boring you're in for a "treat".
This could literally be called "nothing happens - the anime".
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:08 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Oh man.... if you ever though that .hack was boring you're in for a "treat".
This could literally be called "nothing happens - the anime".

Seriously? I thought nothing could be as boring as the original .hack. Does it at least have a good soundtrack?
VPedge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:02 am Reply with quote
roots is just flat out bad lol so bad the game ignores or retcons anything the anime set up as background as far as i remember
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
VPedge wrote:
roots is just flat out bad lol so bad the game ignores or retcons anything the anime set up as background as far as i remember

Yeah, as far as the games are concerned, this anime didn't happen.
Unlike .hack which was a definite prequel to its games and actually made sense.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
The only thing I remember about this show is that about 70% of it is awkward silence.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Well despite the overwhelming negative response on here. I'm happy it's on there, probably due to nostalgia watching it on Cartoon Network.
And also probably because Legend of the Twilight Incest is worse.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of what everyone else here said, I have a lot of fond memories of watching this series. Yeah it's pretty slow at times, but if you're super into .hack// it's still fun to watch. Honestly, there's actually more stuff that goes on in this series than in the original //SIGN, though //SIGN arguably has better character depth and atmosphere. But I think what's great about //Roots is that because of how it's set up in relation to //G.U., it has a clear path to follow, "getting from Point A to Point B" so to speak, and yeah it works, though honestly it felt like it dragged on a bit too long. At the very least, it's good for filling in that blank gap in time of the main character Haseo's journey. In the end he does come out of //Roots a different person than he was at the start, and it sets up his character well enough for //G.U.

DmonHiro wrote:
VPedge wrote:

Yeah, as far as the games are concerned, this anime didn't happen.

Umm... this isn't true at all. There were several points where the //G.U. games acknowledge events that took place during //Roots. The most obvious bit being Tabby showing up as a bonus character at the end of Part 3. But there was also an E-mail Haseo receives in //G.U. at some point that pertains to a certain prominent character from //Roots who's no longer around.

That's not all either, but I believe there was a portion of //Roots that overlaps with the .hack//Cell novels.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
BalmungHHQ wrote:
Regardless of what everyone else here said, I have a lot of fond memories of watching this series. Yeah it's pretty slow at times, but if you're super into .hack// it's still fun to watch. Honestly, there's actually more stuff that goes on in this series than in the original //SIGN, though //SIGN arguably has better character depth and atmosphere. But I think what's great about //Roots is that because of how it's set up in relation to //G.U., it has a clear path to follow, "getting from Point A to Point B" so to speak, and yeah it works, though honestly it felt like it dragged on a bit too long. At the very least, it's good for filling in that blank gap in time of the main character Haseo's journey. In the end he does come out of //Roots a different person than he was at the start, and it sets up his character well enough for //G.U.

Honestly I didn't know Roots was so knocked around by people, again I figured Legend of the Twilight was worse and got the worse reception.
Especially since Legend had all that incest stuff to it.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
The OP for this is excellent.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
I figured Legend of the Twilight was worse and got the worse reception.

Legend IS worse. MUCH MUCH WORSE! In Roots nothing much happens. In Legend you WISH nothing had happened.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
I figured Legend of the Twilight was worse and got the worse reception.

Legend IS worse. MUCH MUCH WORSE! In Roots nothing much happens. In Legend you WISH nothing had happened.

I don't remember much happening in Legend but "RENA!" being screamed and incest. At least in Roots I remember Haseo going from a naiive noob to a cold blooded jerk or who he was at the start of the Games. Also they at least showed his relationship with Shino at least which helped with the game's context.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I remember being conflicted about ROOTS. Can't understand the context of the story without playing the game. But doesn't want to play the game because wanting to know what happens first.

I also don't think it had the deep character study that SIGN has. I guess we all felt unfulfilled since it shows the characters that also appear in the game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1