• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Anime That Were Isekai Before It Was Cool

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:32 am Reply with quote
AyanamiRei wrote:

Crossing the poll and article : I'd love to learn how Ima soku ni iru boku/Now&then is in need of a contemporary remake. The competent direction, the way the director and scenarist went beyond the premise ordered to them by exploiting it to make this "happy adventure of a young boy sent to another world" their own work, may I say the subversion (?) and the "passe-partout" visual style of this work are sufficient as they are.

I 'm not sure of wich cinema work to use as an example... Does "Apocalypse Now" needs a remake because it was made with technology now obsolete? I do not think so. (not saying Ima... is its equal of course)

What an interesting example as Apocalypse Now is itself an adaptation and update of Heart of Darkness, moving a story set in imperial 1850s Africa to 1970s era Vietnam. Could it be redone again and set in... just throwing this out there... present Iraq or Afghanistan? Depends if someone has something to say now.

So pulling that back to Now and Then, Here and There... and its own abundant Mad Max influences... no, wait, I'll pull back even further and ask if Fury Road made Road Warrior obsolete? I think Miller used Fury Road to say more about modern film trends than just to repeat the story beats of Road Warrior, that is, it's a lot less Force Awakens... remember Star Wars? Give me your money and I'll give you Star Wars: A New Hope....and a lot more "We don't make them like we use to. In fact... if we try... we can make them better."

So what can an isekai story about powerless mean in this present era of wish fulfillment Light Novels? Everything. We need a remake like this to balance out stories like "In another world with my smartphone".
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:23 am Reply with quote
Yeah, add me to the "where's .hack//Sign" camp. Its absence is even more glaring when SAO is right there in the intro. Also add me to the "Abenobashi isn't all that obscure" camp. I'd say any anime that manages find its way onto cable television is instantly outside the realm of obscurity. That includes NTHT.

Thinking about it, doesn't Dual: Parallel Trouble Adventures count? It's an alternate reality rather than being an entirely different fantasy world, but it's an unfamiliar surrounding all the same.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:39 am Reply with quote
Would Hunter X Hunter's Greed Island arc count? That was a really neat, well-written example of this genre before it really even became a genre. Leave it to this series to make even a collection-fest look very interesting (as the goal, as stated at the start, is to collect every card of a particular set).

I also hadn't even thought about Digimon being an isekai series. Come to think of it, that'd make Monster Rancher one too, isn't it? Even if it was not nearly as fun as Digimon.

WingKing wrote:
Just Passing Through wrote:
Surprised at the absence of Escaflowne on the list. That would have been my number one pick.

Same here, although I definitely have no complaints about the choices that were made! This list really goes back to my formative years as a fan. I'd be curious to know when "isekai" became the blanket term to describe these types of shows, though. I don't remember hearing the term until after SAO became a breakout hit, and yet they've obviously been around for a long time, from the 90's shows on this list through the next generation of shows like .hack and into the present.

Count me in too. I hadn't heard the term "isekai" until Sword Art Online caught on. I didn't know the term existed prior to that, even among western anime fans, until this article.

SaitoHajime101 wrote:
Inuyasha is more arguable as not being an Isekai as it's suppose to take place in Historical Japan, however it's unlikely that Demons and such existed. Laughing

Did they ever explain what happened in InuYasha between the feudal Japanese time and the present? The demons and other supernatural beings went almost extinct. The evil Noh mask and the Soul Piper, to my knowledge, were the only ones known for sure to have lasted to the present day.

classicalzawa wrote:
Another one, the manhwa-only series Threads of Time. This one involves a modern (late 1999/early 2000) high schooler suddenly transported to ancient Korea. He determines this time it's definitely not a dream and he's really there as he's on his last pack of smokes. In particular, he's stranded at a time when ancient Korea is about to fight against the Mongolians and is now the son of a prominent warrior. He also sees a dark skinned girl that he's desperate to find out more about. Fortunately, even though this series is historical isekai, it really reads more like fantasy isekai and doesn't expect me to know a lot of history (anything actually important in this regard is told pretty clearly, I don't recall having any troubles reading the series). One side is warring another, it keeps that part of the plot pretty basic and is all the better for it.

Wait, a high schooler who smokes? Is he a delinquent of some sort? Or are tobacco laws a lot more lax in Korea than elsewhere?

Top Gun wrote:
On a tonally opposite note, honorable mention has to go to Samurai Champloo's gloriously insane baseball episode. Very Happy

It was the weirdest feeling when I took a pop culture class in college and that episode was screened pretty late into the class.

CatSword wrote:
I'm very happy to see Abenobashi on this list! Everyone should watch Abenobashi. I wish the Blu-ray release would come over here. (Japan and Germany are the only ones who have it.)

I got the manga for it...and I found out it went on a pretty different path. Not that there's anything wrong with that, though I didn't know the anime came first at that time and I thought it was adapted off the manga, like in most cases.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:58 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Would Hunter X Hunter's Greed Island arc count? That was a really neat, well-written example of this genre before it really even became a genre. Leave it to this series to make even a collection-fest look very interesting (as the goal, as stated at the start, is to collect every card of a particular set).

The original belief that they were being transported into a game would have qualified. But spoiler[in reality it was quickly revealed they were being transported to an isolated island in the rea world which I think would disqualify itl].

Emerje

[Edit]: added spoiler tags. Errinundra.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:21 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Ah, old-school isekai... I've only seen two of the shows on this list, El Hazard and Abenobashi, but I've read several of the Familiar of Zero novels.

This blog post goes into more detail on some of these, with an emphasis on the shoujo side of things in the '90s, while this page digs a little deeper, finding roots as far back as a novel by the guy who did Dirty Pair. Of course, as xkcd reminds us, it's hardly confined to Japanese works, and for my own part, I have a pretty broad definition of the genre, including not just the obvious candidates like Alice in Wonderland or Narnia or The Neverending Story, but even some works theoretically set in our own universe like Gulliver's Travels or A Princess of Mars.

Thank you for posting the tanoshimi.xyz link because I have often forgotten the address name.
aereus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Of the ones mentioned here, my favorites are Escaflowne and El Hazard. Fushigi Yuugi gets reallllly annoying with the Miaka/Tamahome shouting each others names all the time.

Another older isekai kinda series I remember enjoying was Himikoden. It wasn't that well received as far as I understand it, but it has one of my favorite songs of the period for an OP. I think I still have the tapesubs for the series kicking around in my parents basement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxRmm9osB8k
(Himiko-den OP - Pure Snow by Yuko Sasaki)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Come to think of it, that'd make Monster Rancher one too, isn't it? Even if it was not nearly as fun as Digimon.

What? Genki kicking the crap out of monsters with his roller blades wasn't entertaining to you? XD

Personally, I loved the idea of him actually taking part in battles since typical "kids and their monsters" shows usually have the humans doing virtually nothing beyond shouting orders out. I thought it was a nice touch, and made Monster Rancher a bit of a genre bender there. Even Holly took part in a few battles eventually to show she wasn't just the helpless damsel.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Come to think of it, that'd make Monster Rancher one too, isn't it? Even if it was not nearly as fun as Digimon.

What? Genki kicking the crap out of monsters with his roller blades wasn't entertaining to you? Anime hyper

Personally, I loved the idea of him actually taking part in battles since typical "kids and their monsters" shows usually have the humans doing virtually nothing beyond shouting orders out. I thought it was a nice touch, and made Monster Rancher a bit of a genre bender there. Even Holly took part in a few battles eventually to show she wasn't just the helpless damsel.

Hey, I didn't say it wasn't fun, just that I found Digimon a lot better. But yeah, it would've been neat to have the kids partaking in battles more often...though it may be hard to write without giving them powers too, and then it can make the mons somewhat redundant.

I read "genre bender" as "gender bender," and that reminds me: Was Holly supposed to be the protagonist? I vaguely remember in the first episode (but please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not at all certain of it) when the boy landed in the game world, he was intended to land where Holly was but narrowly missed, which is why they're two separate characters. That suggests the intent was for the boy to become Holly and traverse the game world as her. I'm guessing I have this completely wrong though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Rather than isekai, I would say that stories like InuYasha, Threads of Time, and Nobunaga Concerto are time travel stories. But I guess if people are classifying time travel as a sub-genre of isekai, nothing I can do about it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Hey, I didn't say it wasn't fun, just that I found Digimon a lot better. But yeah, it would've been neat to have the kids partaking in battles more often...though it may be hard to write without giving them powers too, and then it can make the mons somewhat redundant.

I'm not saying the kids need to be super strong and put holes in the walls or anything (though that would be awesome if the humans were teenagers or older). It would just be nice to see them to do something other than watch helplessly (throw a punch or kick at them). Genki is what I really liked about Monster Rancher, as he was ready to throw down with monsters, but it does make me wonder if it's because he's just naturally that strong or because of being transported inside the game (which increased his physical strength as he was being warped there). Digimon did eventually make one of the human kids fight by giving him a sword made out of some Starmon and letting him make use of his kendo training, but that was Xros Wars, well after Monster Rancher originally aired.

Quote:
I read "genre bender" as "gender bender," and that reminds me: Was Holly supposed to be the protagonist? I vaguely remember in the first episode (but please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not at all certain of it) when the boy landed in the game world, he was intended to land where Holly was but narrowly missed, which is why they're two separate characters. That suggests the intent was for the boy to become Holly and traverse the game world as her. I'm guessing I have this completely wrong though.

I never expected the show to be that elaborate, so I believe it was just a case of Genki being pulled in and the game turning out to be another world entirely, making him get directly involved in the story.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Rather than isekai, I would say that stories like InuYasha, Threads of Time, and Nobunaga Concerto are time travel stories. But I guess if people are classifying time travel as a sub-genre of isekai, nothing I can do about it.

Whether it's literally another universe is arguably not all that important. I'd say The Time Machine and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court are more isekai-ish, Back to the Future and The Terminator less so. By His Bootstraps is more isekai than All You Zombies or The Man Who Folded Himself, though not as heavy on the isekai angle as some. A Doctor Who story that emphasizes the companion's perspective and uses time travel mainly as a means to get to a fantastical setting is pretty isekai. Lest Darkness Fall may be the most isekai time-travel story without actual fantastical elements other than the time travel itself.

You can apply the same logic to space travel. Guardians of the Galaxy and (AIUI) Farscape use the isekai structure pretty closely; Star Trek and Star Wars and Alien don't.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:11 am Reply with quote
Is it safe to say that SAO is what re-popularized the isekai genre for anime within the last 5 years?
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Usually in a situation like this I'd say no, but I think there is actually pretty good corrolation between SAO becoming popular and the abrupt rise in isekai. Before then I wouldn't even say that isekai was a genre per se, but I definitely think that is the case now. You had a "transported to another world" series every so often in the past, but nothing like how prolific the stories have become now (for better or worse).

The more interesting part I think, is how SAO kinda set off multiple parallel fads at once:
#1 - Pulled into a game world
#2 - Death game
#3 - Isekai
#4 - Renaissance of high fantasy in anime

I think in part, it was just good timing with how it coincided with the rise in popularity of pulp fiction sites like syosetu.com where instead of people posting stories to their individual blogs, they had them all centrally located and searchable via tags and keywords. This led to an entirely new licensing stream: Companies like Alphapolis using the site rankings as a vetting process and contacting those authors to license their webnovels for publication as physical light novels and manga adaptations. We never really saw that before.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Side note, Hotohori was always the better choice.

.........................................who writes this crap? Laughing

Hotohori liked the (loser)heroine because she was a girl from another world. That was his only reason; if she was a normal girl from HIS world, he would not care about her at all. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4