• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pirate Anime FAQ Updated

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrowv

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Ya know what bothers me about all this? Law inforcement for some reason doesn't care about priated anime at all. Not the US FBI, MPAA, not even the local licensees, not even the producers. There's a site out there called Animeniacs that strictly sells pirated anime. I've reported them to the FBI, who sent me to the MPAA, who then sent me to the licensees (Bandai, others), who all promptly ignored me. They've been there selling pirated anime for over year. Do they just not care that someone is profiting off of their work? I can understand them not wanting to crack down on P2P servers and the like, but why not this? It's based in the US, and the operators are well-known. I don't get it. Same thing goes with walking down the street in any major city in the US. Venders selling pirated disks, while police just stroll by and ignore it. MPAA does nothing, licensees do nothing, producers do nothing, law enforement does nothing. If it were me, I'd be concerned about all the money others are making off my product Evil or Very Mad
Meson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Aniem companies rarely have hte time to do anythign about them. Reporting them was a good thing though. They will handle it when they get a chance to.

Right now, you next duty is to support the anti-piracy movement. Scold any anime fan that is looking for warez of any kind. Sites like that won't stop if there are people still buying from them. Stop the sales, and they will go away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LuppyLuptonium

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, well....

I will admit I have some chinese bootlegs.... I get them when a series doesn't look to be coming to the US or was brought over in dubbed only format. (and yes in that case I buy the Dubs too). I use them as temp copies until I can get real ones.

Take Shaman King for example.... In all liklyhood the US will never see it subbed. 4 Kids has it and are of corse going to edit it to make it suitable for saturday morning audiences (Original demographic = Teens). Bootlegs have a place in matters like this.

Now I know what you are thinking, Dic dubbed Sailor moon and now that is subtitled. That took years to do, and unless you want to wait 5 years PRAYING that the fan base is big enough for a series to be one day subbed, go on with your pointless crusade. Hell, Robotech took 15 years to get subbed, how old will you be in 15 years?
rrowv

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:28 am Reply with quote
That's understandable, and as we've seen with P2P servers and fansubbing, the anime producers/licensees tend to turn a blind eye to that. But in the case of the site I was talking about...their main line is stuff that's already been produced and released in the US, and has been for some time. They aren't selling it to allow people to see it that can't ordinarily do so. To me though, the line is drawn when a company earns money off of another's work, never getting the owner's permission or paying them. To me that's down right stealing...
molloaggie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:19 am Reply with quote
I think if somebody really wanted to stop the bootleg crisis, the need to attack ebay first. They are an American based company and would mostly likely to respond to complaints. I mean something like a grass-roots campaign where the media and the business selling legit hound the bootleggers and their business people.

The government isn't going to do anything at all. The want friendly relations with China so they let them get away with anything, including murder. Look at it this way too, the government didn't do a lick to help the movie and music industry so the anime dvd industry isn't going to get any help either.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:26 am Reply with quote
LuppyLuptonium wrote:
(Original demographic = Teens). Bootlegs have a place in matters like this.

1. Wrong. Shaman King was intended for Kids to POSSIBLy teens, much like Dragonball, One Piece, Sailor moon etc. It's not intended for teenagers specifically.

2. The only thing bootlegs have in these matters, is that they still should't be bought. If you don't like the treatment of a paticular series, start picking up the R2s. Don't like that? Well go without. You don't NEED Shaman King.

Besides, I wonder if 4kids does do a uncut bilingual release. I mean it's only 64 eps right?
Cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:25 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
LuppyLuptonium wrote:

1. Wrong. Shaman King was intended for Kids to POSSIBLy teens, much like Dragonball, One Piece, Sailor moon etc. It's not intended for teenagers specifically.

Sailor Moon and Dragonball are quite aimed at teenagers. I believe the demographic for Sailor Moon is around 13-15 year old girls. (I suppose one can call the early teens "kids"...however the term usually refers to those under 12.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:37 am Reply with quote
The main reason no companies do anything is because the cost to litigate them properly and shut them down is not worth the loss in sales. It can take millions to prosecute a case (court costs, lawyer fees, etc...) -- no anime company has that kind of money to throw away.

It IS frustrating, but there's little else we can do besides throw out a few cease and desist letters.

Yeah, you think YOU'RE pissed off about this stuff... :p
Tiresias

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:44 am Reply with quote
Not sure exactly who it was, but someone did go after eBay about bootleg sales. But the courts ruled that eBay isn't responsible for the sales of bootlegs through their auction house, which set a precedent on the matter. The only way they can get in trouble is by knowingly allowing an auction to continue that is a bootleg, so they don't go looking for them. To do so would be an enormous financial burden. The only way to deal with it is to report an auction, but since it takes eBay 7-10 days to check on a bootleg report (or any other report), the item is usually sold by that time and is then out of their control. That's part of the reason so many bootlegs are put in for short auction runs. Yes eBay knows bootlegs are being sold, but in order to keep from getting in legal trouble, and to still get their share from the sales, they turn a blind eye to it unless they are notified, and even then their own policies allow it to continue due to the time requirements.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:23 am Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
LuppyLuptonium wrote:

Sailor Moon and Dragonball are quite aimed at teenagers. I believe the demographic for Sailor Moon is around 13-15 year old girls. (I suppose one can call the early teens "kids"...however the term usually refers to those under 12.)

Incase you didn't realise, card games and action figures are marketted towards the 6-10 year old market, its just a happy convinience that older people like it too.

Just because a show form japan, or any country for that matter, implies some adult content or violence., doesn't automatically make it aimed towards a teenage/adult demographic. As you can understand, the Japanese censorship rules/laws are more linient than the US ones, hence why they can get certian things on TV, and the US can't.

Shaman King is in Shonen Jump right? It's with One Piece, Naruto, Dragonabll etc? All of those are kids shows. It's as simple as that. Shaman King is a kids show, not simply because it's in Shonen Jump, but because its MARKETTED towards kids.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:40 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Cassandra wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
LuppyLuptonium wrote:

Incase you didn't realise, card games and action figures are marketted towards the 6-10 year old market, its just a happy convinience that older people like it too.

Just because a show form japan, or any country for that matter, implies some adult content or violence., doesn't automatically make it aimed towards a teenage/adult demographic. As you can understand, the Japanese censorship rules/laws are more linient than the US ones, hence why they can get certian things on TV, and the US can't.

Shaman King is in Shonen Jump right? It's with One Piece, Naruto, Dragonabll etc? All of those are kids shows. It's as simple as that. Shaman King is a kids show, not simply because it's in Shonen Jump, but because its MARKETTED towards kids.

You're reasoning is all over the place here....you compared it to Sailor Moon and Dragonball. Those ARE aimed at teens in Japan. I don't know anything about Shaman King so I can't comment on that. But neither SM or DB have card games....and if you think action figures are only aimed at kids, you really have to do more research.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:49 am Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
But neither SM or DB have card games....

well, actually SM and DBZ do have card games, I have some cards for DBZ...though it could be different for DB, but those card games aren't very popular...and they were made after the anime was, not before
Cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Vigilante024 wrote:
Cassandra wrote:
But neither SM or DB have card games....

well, actually SM and DBZ do have card games, I have some cards for DBZ...though it could be different for DB, but those card games aren't very popular...and they were made after the anime was, not before

I'm betting those are the American card games....as far as I know, there aren't any Japanese card games (Pokemon, YuGiOh, etc) which was the point Wink
radicaledward

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:05 pm Reply with quote
For Dragonball Z there was orginaly a Japanese version before the US version.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:30 am Reply with quote
I'm well aware that the Japnaese Version was before the US Version.

And yeah, my logic was all over the place. But I assure you, shows such as shaman king, sailor moon, Dragonball, Naruto, and such, are aimed for a child demographic. Nothing wrong with teenagers and adults liking it.

By the time they are teenagers, they tends to more image-based things, as as far as a lot of advertising is concerned, Teenagers WANT Makeup/clothes/CDs. As far as they are concerned (wild generalisation here), teenagers could care less about action figures and the assorted crap (not literally, quite a bit of it is quite nice Very Happy) that come along with kids shows.

If I havem't got you this far, answer this: Is Transformers a show intended for Teenagers (it's older, 1980's version, not the RiD/Armada trite we have now) just because it has themes such as death, violence, tyranny and oppression? All of those issues are bought up in it in one way or another, yet it was based apon a toy line (which it was inteded to sell). The difference between say, Shaman King and Transformers, is that one came before the other in different circumstances (Shaman king anime came out before toys, opposite with transformers).

My final point is that it is aimed for children. Children nag their parents for tickets to the movie, they nag them for the action figures, they nag them for the card game. Yes, they do that in Japan. It's universal. That's how they make money. If they aimed it for teenagers, it'd attempt to be a bit more mature.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2