• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gurren Lagann Complete Box Set Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TEXASenpai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:31 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping this will be in stock a while.
Maciste

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:24 am Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:

Interesting, the Amazon UK page says it is dubbed to English, what a fun way to trick their customers, lol. Here's the link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gurren-Lagann-Collection-Boxset-Blu-ray/dp/B01N1V7QP3/ref=sr_1_1?s
Also, yes, the JP version includes both the english subs and the dub, can't say I have ever listened or even heard the english dub, I got spooked by the dubs of many series in my life and outright expelled them from my viewing experience of any jp titles.

Oh, sorry, I got that wrong.
The movies are Japanese audio only.
The series has the English dub as well.

Now here's the strange thing: As you can see, there's no mention of a French dub, yet, there's one for the series.
I just checked.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
The only bummer for me is that I got the separate complete series and movie releases from Anime Limited, since they only announced the box set a few months later, so I missed out on the booklet and box, and probably paid a bit more too. Oh well, at least I still come out on top of Aniplex.

And yes, the UK set most definitely has the dub included. The movies were never dubbed, since Aniplex only chucked them out as an afterthought over here.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:41 am Reply with quote
Maciste wrote:

The design of the box and BD cases looks good. The set includes the entire series, both movies, Parallel Works and comes with a nice booklet. It doesn't have the English dub, but to be honest, I don't really care. Japanese audio and English subtitles all the way.
I regret nothing.
10/10. Would buy again.

If you are talking about the cover image on the box, I will have to disagree. Looks horrendous to me. They should have used actual art from the show.
chronos02

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Maciste wrote:

The design of the box and BD cases looks good. The set includes the entire series, both movies, Parallel Works and comes with a nice booklet. It doesn't have the English dub, but to be honest, I don't really care. Japanese audio and English subtitles all the way.
I regret nothing.
10/10. Would buy again.

If you are talking about the cover image on the box, I will have to disagree. Looks horrendous to me. They should have used actual art from the show.

What nonsense are you spouting there? That's an original piece of art from the show, it was used for the DVD-BOX I of the Japanese release, drawn by Yoh Yoshinari (You Yoshinari), the mechanical designer of the series, one of they key animators, as well as one of the ilustrators in charge of promotional images. If you don't like it, it's your problem, but don't go around saying stuff you don't even know.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:

What nonsense are you spouting there? That's an original piece of art from the show, it was used for the DVD-BOX I of the Japanese release, drawn by Yoh Yoshinari (You Yoshinari), the mechanical designer of the series, one of they key animators, as well as one of the ilustrators in charge of promotional images. If you don't like it, it's your problem, but don't go around saying stuff you don't even know.

Well, I for one thought we lived in a free society where we can say what we want.

But to your point, I said artwork from the show, the actual show. Not the promotional art work and other things created supporting the show.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
But to your point, I said artwork from the show, the actual show. Not the promotional art work and other things created supporting the show.

Actual artwork from the show usually ends up looking cheap when used for packaging. See: AnimEigo's Kimagure Orange Road TV series releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2