• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Anime Studios Own The American Shows They Contributed To?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bamble

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I think one of TMS's earliest U.S. efforts, Mighty Orbots, was another one of the exceptions to the rule in that they had actual ownership in that show as well as animating it. It's a pity it was buried in a legal nightmare as that's one series that's crying out for a remaster due to the absolutely amazing quality of its animation.

SrkSano wrote:
Disney is the absolute worse with releasing any TV show on DVD. Maybe it's just as Answerman says, the money is just not there. They own the rights to pretty much every Marvel cartoon (before they even bought Marvel) but won't put anything older than 2000 on DVD.

Disney haven't done much on home video with any Marvel cartoon since 2012 either, depsite there being some 12 seasons' worth of material to date. Between that and them not releasing the last three Marvel animated movies on DVD, it could be said that Disney have simply abandoned the traditional home video release model outside of their movies and their most high-profile TV shows.

It's quite interesting that, in comparison, Warner have put out the vast majority of their DC productions on home video and continue to do so, clearly implying there's at least some money still generated from them.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Examples like what you and Hoppy pointed out are why Japan really shouldn't try to come up with their own interpretations of U.S. and European properties. It's generally all style (and not necessarily a visually pleasing style) and no substance with them. The Powerpuff Girls Z anime was just incredibly stupid, and that's being generous. Stitch! was terrible too.

Well, for The Animatrix, while hit-or-miss, I did quite like some of them (especially "A Detective Story"). But more often than not, an anime adaptation of a western property that isn't classic literature tends to not be very good.

matt78 wrote:
I actually own the first 2 seasons of Kim Possible. I got them through the Disney Rewards program. I believe the only way to currently buy them is by being a member of the Disney movie club. I believe they did this with the last sets of the Disney Afternoon cartoons as well.

Ah, so they DO exist? I was never part of the Disney Rewards program as I was never an avid buyer of home video, so I hadn't known about it at all.

Bamble wrote:
It's quite interesting that, in comparison, Warner have put out the vast majority of their DC productions on home video and continue to do so, clearly implying there's at least some money still generated from them.

I'd bet a major reason behind Sony Pictures' acquisition of FUNimation is that it's one of the few companies to be getting an increase in home video sales and Sony wants to know FUNimation's "secrets" to that.
Guile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Examples like what you and Hoppy pointed out are why Japan really shouldn't try to come up with their own interpretations of U.S. and European properties. It's generally all style (and not necessarily a visually pleasing style) and no substance with them. The Powerpuff Girls Z anime was just incredibly stupid, and that's being generous. Stitch! was terrible too.

I prefer the anime adaptions of Powerpuff Girls and Stitch to the American shows. They have better art and an actual story. There's no excuse to have an artstyle as ugly as the original Powerpuff Girls outside laziness
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
This is a common problem with shows that use copyrighted content from other sources, since getting clearance from the copyright holders to use their IP on television and getting clearance to use it on a home video release are two different beasts. The "Muppet Family Christmas" holiday special has the same issue, where several scenes from the original TV version got completely cut out of the home video version because they couldn't get permission to re-use certain copyrighted songs.

The first season of The Muppet Show also featured a lot of cut content, and Disney just kind of stopped after 3.

Muppet Family Christmas also features characters now owned by three different companies, so I wonder how much that also plays into Disney not even trying for a new release on that.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:04 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Well, for The Animatrix, while hit-or-miss, I did quite like some of them (especially "A Detective Story"). But more often than not, an anime adaptation of a western property that isn't classic literature tends to not be very good.

Yup, pretty much most of the time.

Guile wrote:
I prefer the anime adaptions of Powerpuff Girls and Stitch to the American shows. They have better art and an actual story. There's no excuse to have an artstyle as ugly as the original Powerpuff Girls outside laziness

No offense to your preferences, but Powerpuff Girls Z really didn't have a story at all and neither did Stitch! for that matter. They were both just episodic nonsense that had nothing to do with the original source material whatsoever. Taste in art style is subjective, but looking pretty and wasting episodes doing nothing other than nonstop filler doesn't really excuse poor storytelling, if any at all.

The original art for the U.S. Powerpuff Girls is what was iconic about it and you're the first person I've seen to call it "ugly". And it had substance; many of the episodes focused on each of the girls as individuals and as a team. Z didn't do any of that, and just wasted time being silly episode after episode.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
SrkSano wrote:
Disney is the absolute worse with releasing any TV show on DVD. Maybe it's just as Answerman says, the money is just not there. They own the rights to pretty much every Marvel cartoon (before they even bought Marvel) but won't put anything older than 2000 on DVD. They play these games with shows they own too. Heck I think to this very day you can only get like 6 random episodes of Goof Troop on VHS.

I'll say this for Warner Bros. They put everything on DVD. EVERYTHING. If it's not on DVD there's a licensing issue like the Wonder Woman TV Show or the 60s Batman TV show but eventually they work around it and bring it out anyway.

Warner Brothers puts out many not all of their titles on DVD, but like the Cartoon Network shows, you usually only get like a Season or just DVDs with random episodes. Some Cartoon Network shows can only be found on the Holiday DVDs with like random Cartoon Network Christmas & Halloween episodes but not on its own. Not even a Warner Archives release.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Might as well be asking if the brickies, sparkies, plumbers and plasterers who worked on your house have part ownership of it. They worked on it, you paid them for it, the resulting product is yours.

belvadeer wrote:
Examples like what you and Hoppy pointed out are why Japan really shouldn't try to come up with their own interpretations of U.S. and European properties. It's generally all style (and not necessarily a visually pleasing style) and no substance with them.

Not disagreeing, but I will say that the reverse is true too: every American re-imagining of a Japanese property (and some European ones) I've ever seen badly misses the point about what made them good to begin with.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Not disagreeing, but I will say that the reverse is true too: every American re-imagining of a Japanese property (and some European ones) I've ever seen badly misses the point about what made them good to begin with.

Also true. It's a two-way street.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I did not know Toei worked on Muppet Babies, back when they actually gave a crap...
Yunho

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:57 pm Reply with quote
The beginning of this article reminds me that as a child I watched a ton of Baby Looney Tunes, almost every day, but have probably never seen more than a clip of a real Looney Tunes show or movie in my life.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:57 am Reply with quote
The huge debt TMS racked up due to Little Nemo is a leading reason why they had to take up contract work in the first place. They apparently came clean after working for a decade and a half for WB, as they are now to expensive to be employed by them anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:07 am Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
I think one of TMS's earliest U.S. efforts, Mighty Orbots, was another one of the exceptions to the rule in that they had actual ownership in that show as well as animating it. It's a pity it was buried in a legal nightmare as that's one series that's crying out for a remaster due to the absolutely amazing quality of its animation.

Yeah. Blu-rays or even remastered DVDs would be awesome.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
Many shows from the 80s and 90s didn't get DVD release because they had been released, at least in part, on VHS. How well the sales of the VHS's did affected the company's decision as to whether to put something on DVD or not. Lately that's been much better as companies have gone back into old catalogues to find things for DVD release. But there are still some shows that have had a VHS release, at least in part, but have never had a full DVD release.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I do know he hated working on Tiny Toon Adventures though. (And in a weird inversion of this trope of spin-off babies, you have Back to Bedrock

I had to go and look this up as I didn't know what it was but Back To Bedrock was apparently a block that consisted of already made Flintstone cartoons.

belvadeer wrote:
Examples like what you and Hoppy pointed out are why Japan really shouldn't try to come up with their own interpretations of U.S. and European properties. It's generally all style (and not necessarily a visually pleasing style) and no substance with them.

When Japan puts out crap that's as bad as the Gene Deitch Tom & Jerry Shorts or The Tom & Jerry Comedy show then we'll have a nice cup of coffee as we cringe on how badly they screw up just as bad as us at reimagining IP's.

Guile wrote:

Yeah PPG artsyle was fine it's just the girl's designs looked way out of place with everyone else's.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
matt78 wrote:
I actually own the first 2 seasons of Kim Possible. I got them through the Disney Rewards program. I believe the only way to currently buy them is by being a member of the Disney movie club. I believe they did this with the last sets of the Disney Afternoon cartoons as well.

Ah, so they DO exist? I was never part of the Disney Rewards program as I was never an avid buyer of home video, so I hadn't known about it at all..

Disney didn't want to release big boxsets of their cartoons at first, because they still had their ToonDisney channel (before it became X-D and went insane) to syndicate all their 90's reruns, and didn't want one to spoil the other.
When they did give into industry pressure and tried halfheartedly putting out a few first sets, it didn't sell as well as they imagined TV boxsets would after looking at other studios' sales, the whole industry had the same busted dreams, and gave up. Disney never really made that great a stab at what Warner eventually did with their online MOD Archive, but the few Kim Possible, DuckTales, Rescue Rangers and Zorro sets did find a home on Disney Rewards.

Yunho wrote:
The beginning of this article reminds me that as a child I watched a ton of Baby Looney Tunes, almost every day, but have probably never seen more than a clip of a real Looney Tunes show or movie in my life.

Shocked
(Well, Cartoon Network shoving them off the network, hiding them away on Boomerang, and then literally thinking we'd "forgotten" the characters because we didn't go to see "Looney Tunes: Back in Action", didn't help the current generations any.)

While Baby Looney Tunes was simply another example of "Bring in the kid-versions to jumpstart the house franchise" and find new sales-demographic markets, some real old-generation Looney Tunes fans who didn't grow up as kids in the 90's loathed the smug, loud, overbearing Tiny Toons/Animaniacs/Pinky & the Brain era (at least, those who'd already started to discover the early anime movement at the time, and had better cartoon comedies to escape to).
Which came from Steven Spielberg thinking he was now the generous expert "guru" on classic cartoons after having put all those legacy cameos in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", and now got all his industry pals to make "new" cartoons--And basically giving us corny West-coast gags obsessed with Hollywood-town in-jokes, written by TV-sitcom writers, and hyped up with spastic caffeine because, to those still on their late-80's baby-boomer Roger Rabbit high, "all classic cartoon were Tex Avery".

Those of us who'd grown up on the real hip-literate Chuck Jones of "Rabbit of Seville", "Duck Amuck" and "Ali Baba Bunny" were not amused.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnR99vYZfP8 Thank me later. Cool
(Sorry, but with Warner on their current "All you remember is Space Jam!" kick of hiding them off of Blu-ray, we classic-Looney fans have to stick together if we want to beat some sense back into Warner's poor, vulnerable, neurotic head again.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4