• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Anime Studios Own The American Shows They Contributed To?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:15 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
The original art for the U.S. Powerpuff Girls is what was iconic about it and you're the first person I've seen to call it "ugly".

They literally couldn't color inside the lines..
Cartoon art is often mocked on anime forums, so its not really a rare thing.

Never watched Stitch, but the original PPG was literally plotless, and has basic characterization. Z gave backstories and origins for characters like Sedusa and Princess, and the girls themselves, plus the whole feudal era PPG and Him stuff tying the series together. Not sure what 'substance' the original had.

As far as other shows go, Disk Wars was pretty entertaining and better than Disney's fluff. Which is a shame cause Future Avengers isnt as good.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Muuuuuuuppet Babies! We make our dreams come true! Laughing

SrkSano wrote:
Disney is the absolute worse with releasing any TV show on DVD. Maybe it's just as Answerman says, the money is just not there. They own the rights to pretty much every Marvel cartoon (before they even bought Marvel) but won't put anything older than 2000 on DVD. They play these games with shows they own too. Heck I think to this very day you can only get like 6 random episodes of Goof Troop on VHS.

I'll say this for Warner Bros. They put everything on DVD. EVERYTHING. If it's not on DVD there's a licensing issue like the Wonder Woman TV Show or the 60s Batman TV show but eventually they work around it and bring it out anyway.

I'm guessing it's a difference in corporate attitude, "how can we make boatloads of money?" versus "how can we help preserve the culture of the past?" When it comes to Disney they probably care first and foremost about profit and don't see enough profit value in releasing obscure or semi obscure stuff on dvd, but with Warner Bros they may not expect to make a ton of money but see the value in cultural preservation in releasing as much stuff as they can on dvd.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:32 am Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:
Muuuuuuuppet Babies! We make our dreams come true! Laughing

I'll say this for Warner Bros. They put everything on DVD. EVERYTHING. If it's not on DVD there's a licensing issue like the Wonder Woman TV Show or the 60s Batman TV show but eventually they work around it and bring it out anyway.

I'm guessing it's a difference in corporate attitude, "how can we make boatloads of money?" versus "how can we help preserve the culture of the past?" When it comes to Disney they probably care first and foremost about profit and don't see enough profit value in releasing obscure or semi obscure stuff on dvd, but with Warner Bros they may not expect to make a ton of money but see the value in cultural preservation in releasing as much stuff as they can on dvd.[/quote]

WB has a POD DVD system so they can put anything out regardless of the demand and still make money. They use it for their less popular stuff. Unfortunately, all you get is just the movie or TV show without any extras, and you usually pay about $30 or more per disk. But it is an option for those who really want a DVD copy of a show.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:13 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
They literally couldn't color inside the lines..

I don't see the big deal there. They're just minor background elements and hardly relevant. It looks like a stylized thing in order to focus on the fanboy. Besides, it's not as if that sort of "color outside the lines" look is exclusive to U.S. cartoons.

Quote:
Not sure what 'substance' the original had.

The substance was in the execution. Z was just outright nonsense from start to finish. I struggled to get through the show with how terrible it was and just gave up on it.

Quote:
As far as other shows go, Disk Wars was pretty entertaining and better than Disney's fluff. Which is a shame cause Future Avengers isnt as good.

Disk Wars? That's one of the most laughable interpretations of the Avengers I've ever seen. Marvel heroes coming out of disk devices is just plain stupid. You may as well call it Marvel Pokemon. It was just a cheap toy tie-in to attract young Japanese fans to Marvel superheroes.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:54 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I had to go and look this up as I didn't know what it was but Back To Bedrock was apparently a block that consisted of already made Flintstone cartoons.

Is it? Which one was the one that was set where Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm were teenagers? (In hindsight, what I do remember of it came across as any other Hanna-Barbera sitcom aimed at kids though.)

Lord Oink wrote:

And anime art is often mocked on forums about western animation too.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Lord Oink wrote:
[url=http://i.imgur.com/FI7cJ0p.jpg] They literally couldn't color inside the lines.
I don't see the big deal there. They're just minor background elements and hardly relevant. It looks like a stylized thing in order to focus on the fanboy. Besides, it's not as if that sort of "color outside the lines" look is exclusive to U.S. cartoons.

PPG's abstract outside-the-lines color was deliberately meant to be Craig McCracken's (and most of CN's) animation-school hip-stylized sort-of UPA-fantasyland of What Cheesy-Looking TV Cartoons Must've Looked Like in the 50's/60's, which was the big thing in post-John K. toons, back just before the H-B Bashing era.
Which US baby-boomer pop-culture grudge would mean absolutely nothing to the Japanese who grew up in the 60's, as would the gag of Mojo Jojo being a 'Boomer-toon Japan-bashing parody on Chim-Chim from badly-dubbed Speed Racer...Get it, get it? Rolling Eyes

That's why we liked anime comedy--If we can't get other people's cultural in-jokes, there's usually no joke to get.
And as Oink's post demonstrates...even WE didn't get most of PPG's animator-grudge in-jokes. Never mind the Japanese studio who didn't have a clue the original show was kidding, and tried to take it all seriously.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I had to go and look this up as I didn't know what it was but Back To Bedrock was apparently a block that consisted of already made Flintstone cartoons.

Is it? Which one was the one that was set where Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm were teenagers? (In hindsight, what I do remember of it came across as any other Hanna-Barbera sitcom aimed at kids though.)

That was the early-70's one--The block's pretty much ALL of them under one CN/Boomerang "Short-run vintage H-B we can't market anywhere else" label:
The glorious 60's original, the 70's Teen Pebbles, the 80's Flintstone Kids (with Captain Caveman and isolated Dino shorts), and that one from the late-70's where Fred and Barney were part-time Bedrock cops, lived next door to the Frankenstones (as the Gruesomes had apparently moved out by then), and were helped out by the Shmoo from the Lil' Abner comics, whose own H-B spinoff hadn't gone over the season before...I didn't write 'em, folks. Confused

Last edited by EricJ2 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
It could be worse like the epic disasterization that's Baby Felix. I saw one episode of that anime and wondered who thought that making this anime was ok, it's in the realms of Abunai Sisters and Wonder Momo bad. I have yet to see another work based off an American franchise to be destroyed this badly, even Halo Legends was nowhere near this level of bad.

I've always wondered why they couldn't make the animation seem more anime like most of the time, it just seemed so cheap.
To this day, I'm wondering if there will be ever be something new to come out of that franchise, given its gonna be 100 years old next year.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Is it? Which one was the one that was set where Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm were teenagers?

The Pebbles And Bamm-Bamm show which debuted in the 71 on CBS (and was one of the myriad of Flintstones associated shows that apparently ran on the block).
Guile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:04 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
No offense to your preferences, but Powerpuff Girls Z really didn't have a story at all and neither did Stitch! for that matter. They were both just episodic nonsense that had nothing to do with the original source material whatsoever. Taste in art style is subjective, but looking pretty and wasting episodes doing nothing other than nonstop filler doesn't really excuse poor storytelling, if any at all.

The original art for the U.S. Powerpuff Girls is what was iconic about it and you're the first person I've seen to call it "ugly". And it had substance; many of the episodes focused on each of the girls as individuals and as a team. Z didn't do any of that, and just wasted time being silly episode after episode.

I don't see how you can call the anime versions with a continuous storyline episodic nonsense but praise the American cartoons which were typical 11 minute stand alone episodes. Powerpuff Girls never even had an ending. I heard the English dubs for both shows were poor, did you watch those edited versions? I also enjoyed the anime references and humor in PPGZ more. Cyborg 009 and GaoGaiGar homages interested me more than the humor in the US toon and references to Hannah Barbara cartoons. I was never a fan of those.

Iconic art can still be bad. Powerpuff Girls came out the same year as Cowboy Bebop, Orphen,and Lain. Even if was purposely bad to mock older cartoons, purposely bad is still bad.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
I don't see how you can call the anime versions with a continuous storyline episodic nonsense but praise the American cartoons which were typical 11 minute stand alone episodes. Powerpuff Girls never even had an ending. I heard the English dubs for both shows were poor, did you watch those edited versions? I also enjoyed the anime references and humor in PPGZ more. Cyborg 009 and GaoGaiGar homages interested me more than the humor in the US toon and references to Hannah Barbara cartoons. I was never a fan of those.

It goes both ways, as I said. I was never a fan of anime interpretations of U.S. shows, and I find them utterly stupid. You like what you like, and I like what I like. That's all there is to it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
I've always wondered why they couldn't make the animation seem more anime like most of the time, it just seemed so cheap.
To this day, I'm wondering if there will be ever be something new to come out of that franchise, given its gonna be 100 years old next year.

If something stops being culturally relevant and/or profitable, then they'll just quietly shelve the franchise. Two years ago was the 25th anniversary of Nintendo's F-Zero franchise, for instance, and Nintendo did absolutely zilch for that, whereas Nintendo made a big deal with Mario's and Zelda's 30th anniversaries and they're currently doing a 25th for Kirby. The comic strip Gasoline Alley is also reaching 100 years of publication next year, and while it's still in print (and available to read online), Tribune Media Services is not doing anything special with that. Certainly, nothing was done with The Katzenjammer Kids during its 100th year of continuous publication.

In the case of Felix the Cat as a franchise, I think it's simply a case of not enough people caring. The 2000's and 2010's have been an era of a rapid creation of new franchises as far as children's entertainment goes. There are dozens of new series, video game, and movie franchises every year competing for children's attention, and in the process, franchises previously big parts of pop culture like Looney Tunes and The Flintstones fall by the wayside. Felix can become relevant again with a high-profile, very public production, like what happened with Peanuts and Wonder Woman, but if they're not doing anything with it, then it means the franchise owners don't think that they can get enough attention to be worth the publicity (though the fans can make their own celebration if they wish, like what was done with the MOTHER games or the Alien moves).

BadNewsBlues wrote:
The Pebbles And Bamm-Bamm show which debuted in the 71 on CBS (and was one of the myriad of Flintstones associated shows that apparently ran on the block).

Thanks. That sounds about right. Also explains why Frank Welker was their go-to guy.

Guile wrote:
I don't see how you can call the anime versions with a continuous storyline episodic nonsense but praise the American cartoons which were typical 11 minute stand alone episodes. Powerpuff Girls never even had an ending

That's...pretty standard with episodic series in general, especially since at the time The Powerpuff Girls was airing, most TV channels would show reruns in a random order (Cartoon Network was NOT one of those though). There was also the idea that TV shows ought to be made such that a viewer can miss episodes or entire seasons and not fall behind. Nickelodeon, during that time, even had a policy prohibiting final episodes from wrapping up the series, and the staff behind Angry Beavers got in trouble for ignoring that rule. American television having continuity at all, outside of soap operas, only caught on once streaming became popular and people could catch up on episodes they might have missed, or watch the shows all in order.

The premise behind The Powerpuff Girls doesn't need an ending anyway. It's open-ended, like most American series. They just continue to fight monsters and villains. Bear in mind, also, that the writing team cannot be sure whether they would be renewed or not as they're still writing the episodes. The Powerpuff Girls went on for 6 seasons, so it's reasonable for them to assume they could keep going. Certainly, Littlest Pet Shop (2012), a series I followed closely, had no real ending at all because the writing team did not know the series would not be renewed past the 4th season until it was too late. Invader Zim's cancellation was so abrupt that there are several episodes in various stages of completion, forever stuck where they are.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
matt78 wrote:
I actually own the first 2 seasons of Kim Possible. I got them through the Disney Rewards program. I believe the only way to currently buy them is by being a member of the Disney movie club. I believe they did this with the last sets of the Disney Afternoon cartoons as well.

Ah, so they DO exist? I was never part of the Disney Rewards program as I was never an avid buyer of home video, so I hadn't known about it at all.

Gargoyles season 2 part 2 was originally Disney Rewards program only but they eventually released it outside of that. Hopefully, maybe one day they'll do that for Kim Possible as well. Also, before they did a wider release of Gargoyles, people were selling the DR set second hand on places like Amazon and E-bay. Maybe you can check those out and see if anyone is doing so for Kim Possible.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
Gargoyles season 2 part 2 was originally Disney Rewards program only but they eventually released it outside of that. Hopefully, maybe one day they'll do that for Kim Possible as well. Also, before they did a wider release of Gargoyles, people were selling the DR set second hand on places like Amazon and E-bay. Maybe you can check those out and see if anyone is doing so for Kim Possible.

I'll give it a shot, but it sounds like they'd have severe markup, especially for a release many years ago now. Do the Gargoyles ones sell for a lot?
_Emi_

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I'll give it a shot, but it sounds like they'd have severe markup, especially for a release many years ago now.

I looked Kim Possible up on Amazon and they do and they're barebones releases. It also looks like they only have the first 2 seasons. Haven't looked at what people on E-bay are asking for. It does look like Amazon Video has all the seasons. Don't know if that is appealing to you or if it's available to you.

Quote:
Do the Gargoyles ones sell for a lot?

All of the Gargoyles sets got non-Disney Rewards releases so they'll cost $10 each.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:

I looked Kim Possible up on Amazon and they do and they're barebones releases. It also looks like they only have the first 2 seasons. Haven't looked at what people on E-bay are asking for. It does look like Amazon Video has all the seasons. Don't know if that is appealing to you or if it's available to you.

All of the Gargoyles sets got non-Disney Rewards releases so they'll cost $10 each.

All right, thanks. I like to get home video releases so that I will have them forever. Streaming services could remove shows as they please, and while I'll use them to watch what they have, I don't trust them to keep shows I particularly like that I'd want to watch again and again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4