• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Publisher Plans 'World's 1st Christian Light Novel'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
ChrissyC wrote:
The day has come.

A Minister is in a harem.

I still can not believe that God sent me to Preach the Gospel to an all Girl`s Christian School for Troubled Youth

This can go in so many directions...high chance of interest.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
How about Christian Yuri? I mean, assuming the publishers belong to the sane side of Christianity.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
So why are we forcing Jesus in japan ? I get the impression this gonna end up as dumpster truck on fire, then again I'm not Christian.

I doubt anyone is going to be forced to read whatever LN is published. So... where is this "we" part, and how is anyone being forced?
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
I personally think something on the Crusades could be neat. Of course though, it would be politically incorrect to the extreme.
Well not if gives the proper accurate context of the Crusades, them being a reaction to 400 years of continued battles and raids by Islamic imperialism.

Instead of the widespread pop culture myth that it happened because lulz Christians are evil.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:
I personally think something on the Crusades could be neat. Of course though, it would be politically incorrect to the extreme.
Well not if gives the proper accurate context of the Crusades, them being a reaction to 400 years of continued battles and raids by Islamic imperialism.

Instead of the widespread pop culture myth that it happened because lulz Christians are evil.

Both are true, actually. Allow me to elaborate:

Part 1: Christians take back land that was stolen from them. Portugal as a country, for example, was formed due to this.

Part 2: Then, the crusaders head towards Jerusalem, and s*** hits the fan.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
jutsuri wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:

Not necessarily, a story about the Hussite crusades could be fascinating and since they were waged against Bohemian Christians protesting corruption in the Catholic Church it avoids any tension regarding Islam neatly.

Actually there is manga about the Hussite crusades titled Otome Sensou by Kouichi Ohnishi.
It's told from a young girl who joins the Hussite rebels lead by Jan Zizka. Be warned that the manga is NSFW since there's gore, nudity and sex (both consensual and nonconsensual).

As for the Christian light novel, i hope it's rather interesting and not too preachy.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Back to the subject at hand, this is a religious press doing this, so it'll be interesting to see if they choose something genuinely engaging that can compete in the overall marketplace, or something saccharine that will never be found outside religious bookstores. I expect the latter, but am rooting for the former.
Well religious publications tend to play it safe so I am expecting a light novel that is cute, harmless, and somewhat boring. It would be great though if they found a work that was intriguing similar to Dante's Inferno or The Screwtape Letters.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Personally, I think a good light novel idea for this company would be set in the days Japanese Christian persecution, which went from the 1500s up to after World War 2. There is quite a bit of similarity to the struggle set in Barefoot Gen, set in the horror of death and destruction.

People ignore the plights that Christians, like the current Genocide by ISIS in the Middle East, whom their mothers, daughters, and sisters are raped and the men beheaded. Or the Japanese Christians who had to go underground or have their family wiped out by the Shoguns. That kind of story is what needs to be told.

Right, because what's most needed in a time when Christians are doing most of the persecution (amongst other things, like defending clergy who abused kids) is stories talking about how hard done by the Christians were at various points in history, totally ignoring how for more of history it's the Christians doing the persecution. Including of other Christians.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Chrysostomus wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:

Both are true, actually. Allow me to elaborate:

Part 1: Christians take back land that was stolen from them. Portugal as a country, for example, was formed due to this.

To be fair, Jerusalem was owned by the Christian Byzantine Empire before Islam invaded. The Crusades had issues especially when non-Catholic Christians were involved, but I don't think taking back Jerusalem was one of them. Generally speaking, the Muslims made fun of Christian over how ineffective those particular Crusades were.

Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
SWAnimefan wrote:
Personally, I think a good light novel idea for this company would be set in the days Japanese Christian persecution, which went from the 1500s up to after World War 2. There is quite a bit of similarity to the struggle set in Barefoot Gen, set in the horror of death and destruction.

People ignore the plights that Christians, like the current Genocide by ISIS in the Middle East, whom their mothers, daughters, and sisters are raped and the men beheaded. Or the Japanese Christians who had to go underground or have their family wiped out by the Shoguns. That kind of story is what needs to be told.

Right, because what's most needed in a time when Christians are doing most of the persecution (amongst other things, like defending clergy who abused kids) is stories talking about how hard done by the Christians were at various points in history, totally ignoring how for more of history it's the Christians doing the persecution. Including of other Christians.

It's fair to seperate by branch. Most of the negative reputation of Christianity can be traced back to the Catholics and the Protestants, while the Orthodox and Coptics don't seem to have much issues. That might just be because the former two are Western while the latter two are more common outside of the West.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
What is a light novel anyway? Just a short novel made for easy consumption and with a manga style cover illustration?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:28 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
What is a light novel anyway? Just a short novel made for easy consumption and with a manga style cover illustration?

They have some illustrations inside, but that's basically it.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:31 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Christians are doing most of the persecution

That's not even correct overall, but either way a Japanese work should focus on what's relevant within that culture and be pertinent to the history and experiences of its target audience.
The World We Know

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:51 am Reply with quote
Hmmm??? Haha, right up my alley since pretty much all I do is write about anime from a Christian perspective. Very Happy

I'm not familiar with the company, only remembering a bit about Puri-tan, and I'm interested in seeing where this goes. My first instinct is to hope they don't go "full Christian," and we end up with a very heavy-handed Christian work with moral lessons like we have here in the states, that ends up being terrible and accessible to a only few Christian anime fans, and leads the creators to pat each other on the back ("Our work here is done!"). Instead, I would hope for something that thematically is about grace and other important aspects of faith. You could close with a page or two about Christianity if you want to inform the Japanese readership.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Lol how many levels of indoctrination are you on? I can name you like 30 countries where Christians have to be careful about their faith lest they end up in jail or worse. It's the most persecuted religion worldwide.

Hellsoldier wrote:

Portugal? I think you mean the entire Iberian peninsula, which was the ONLY piece of land Christianity got back. 3/4ths of the former Christian world was swallowed up by Islamic expansionism.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3