• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[done] Different people, same name

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I was trying to add Daniel Garcia's roles in LBX Wars and Line Town to the Encyclopedia but was greeted with this screen:

The thing is, the Daniel Garcia I'm referring to is neither of those people. He's an English-speaking actor from the US that recorded a few anime shows in Hong Kong, not a VA from Spain or Brazil. There's no other option than to select the wrong person or give up on the entry attempt.

I know the site wants to ward off duplicate entries, but it does seem shortsighted to have such a small limit on individuals with the same name, especially when it doesn't account for the different language templates. As the site gets older this is bound to happen more often, even in the same region. I know the usual strategy is to put up the initial of the person's middle name, but those are seldom publicized. Maybe sort by date of birth?
horseradish

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
AFAIK, users can either make a thread like this one and ask editors to make a separate entry or add the role to the wrong person and request for a split. I'm not sure if there's a more efficient method. Most Japanese staff lack full date of birth, so differentiating by middle name, region, or job is more practical overall.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I should add, that looking at the entries for those shows today, I noticed Daniel added himself as "Dan Garcia." The issue there is that as far as I can tell, he doesn't refer to himself as that officially anywhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1