• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Gundam Wing screenwriter Katsuyuki Sumisawa

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Strike105 wrote:
[

No, Relena was doubtlessly one of the most useless female leads in the franchise, As she was built up to be an important character that came into extremely high positions of political power, but did practically nothing worthy of her supposed importance, whether it was on-screen or off.

Kudelia, on the other hand, actually did something important to the plot from time to time, and it fit in with the type of character that the writers wanted to portray her as. She didn't go into battle herself, no, but spoiler[using the media, she single-handedly stopped an attack on Tekkadan at the Dort colonies, in addition to a military massacre of oppressed and striking workers (Who were armed, yes, but their arms were mostly for show, and they had no intention of actually using force. When the workers were actually forced to fight back after a set-up, they were completely helpless when their equipment was found to be nonfunctional) At the end of S1, she delivered another speech that hit Gjallarhorn's public image pretty hard once again, which helped set the stage for the events of S2.] She didn't really do much throughout S2, but a there was still evidence that she did a fair bit of minor stuff off-screen, but not really anything worth noting.

Kudelia also grew as a character throughout the series. At the beginning, she was naive, yes, but as the series progressed, she came to understand the motivations of the child mercenaries she had allied herself with, alongside other elements of the messed up world in which she lived, and her views and actions changed accordingly to change the things around her for the better, from educating Tekkadan's members to become literate to opening an orphanage to keep other children from suffering similar circumstances as Tekkadan and Human Debris.

Kudelia only had importance for a season and then her character went to the sideline basically. The only real thing in season 2 she does is spoiler[argue with Atra over who's going to be Mika's baby maker and then just decide to raise the kid equally themselves.] and then spoiler[clean up the mess after Tekkadan is virtually destroyed and having to kowtow and bend over to take it up the butt from Rustal, Julieta etc who should of died by the way. ]

Also, no Relena at least tried to stop her brother from being a genocidal idiot in Wing, spoiler[Kudelia didn't lift a finger over anything til everything was over and basically let Tekkadan run itself into the ground. Yes I know they basically shoved her out of the way and out of their lives, but she could of showed some thinking on her own and stepped in on the situation. She basically acted powerless despite all this yammering last season of her being a "maiden of revolution".] Relena seemed to do more.

I guess I'm basing my useless comment on her character from season 2 more than season 1. Because at least Season 1 had some glimmers of possibility of good character instead of her being reduced to being spoiler[a possible babymaker for Mika.
]

spoiler[Yes she opens an orphanage and it really does nothing for the problem of human debris and child soldiers.] She is useless. I mean after all the building of her character in season 1 as someone important and a powerful political force she turns out to be nothing. Again that's why I really hate season 2 of IBO, it's so disappointing.
And apparently Okada has some kind of crush on spoiler[Rustal and Gaelio's voice actors so they get to be the people that change the world. ]

To me Season 2 seriously squandered anything remotely potentially interesting with McGillis or Kudelia. MadHi might want to cover his ears and avoid this comment considering it spoils a lot of season 2.
MadHi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
She won the hearts of important people spoiler[within Romerfeller,] but there's no way spoiler[White Fang] or the spoiler[Barton Foundation] would listen to her for they were spoiler[out solely for revenge for the assassination of the real Heero Yuy] and you can't negotiate with such organizations. Relena tried her best but the characters and circumstances were way too overwhelming for her or anyone else with the right qualifications to make any difference.

Putting all that into account, Relena is anything but useless. Naive, maybe. Idealistic, sure, hell even stubborn. But again, she was thrust into this world and honestly, if she had been the one to bring peace, it'd have been way too silly.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:
She won the hearts of important people spoiler[within Romerfeller,] but there's no way spoiler[White Fang] or the spoiler[Barton Foundation] would listen to her for they were spoiler[out solely for revenge for the assassination of the real Heero Yuy] and you can't negotiate with such organizations. Relena tried her best but the characters and circumstances were way too overwhelming for her or anyone else with the right qualifications to make any difference.

Putting all that into account, Relena is anything but useless. Naive, maybe. Idealistic, sure, hell even stubborn. But again, she was thrust into this world and honestly, if she had been the one to bring peace, it'd have been way too silly.

Kudelia on the other hand by season 2 spoiler[her importance takes a nosedive big time.]
I mean if when you watch season 2 you'll see what I mean, her character becomes rather useless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2