• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The History of American Superhero Comics in Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:38 am Reply with quote
"Tiger and Bunny", despite the weird title, is definitely 1 of those anime that should get a live-action adaptation from a Hollywood studio. However, use a Japanese-American as Kotetsu. I could easily see it being a modest box office success.
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:00 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
"Tiger and Bunny", despite the weird title, is definitely 1 of those anime that should get a live-action adaptation from a Hollywood studio. However, use a Japanese-American as Kotetsu. I could easily see it being a modest box office success.

I dont know if you didn't know but tiger and bunny will be having a live action adaptation but not just an LA Adaptation but a HOLLYWOOD live action adaptation and the better part is that it will be a movie adaptation unlike the cowboy bebop. Yeah so we should better spread the word. I believe it will be a success cause folks nowadays dig superhero films.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:
In the same way, though Gatchaman features a team... I can't recall any "themed teams" in American comics, and certainly no mecha.

Not sure if the "Japanese pop-culture" theme of Big Hero 6 (the non-Disney print version) counts, as that was a manga parody to begin with, but what about the "Canadian-pride" theme of Alpha Flight's heroes?

I can also think of the Metal Men and the Inhumans as comic book groups with themes, not counting groups of superheroes who have a common origin (like the Fantastic Four), or are literally a family with inherited powers (like Plastic Man's family or the Vision's family).

Possibly the Great Lakes Avengers too, but their theme is loosely "dumb powers," "strong powers without the required secondary powers," or "strong powers used incorrectly."

EDIT: Corrected the name.

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
I've watched a lot of Cyborg 009, and read a ton of the relevant [American] comic books of the 60's and 70's (back when kids still read comic books), and I don't see much of a connection either. The idea of teams doesn't originate in the 60's either, the earliest example I'm familiar with (the Justice Society of America) is from the 40's. You could say that the idea of a common origin of a team was borrowed from The Fantastic Four, but I want to say that also has earlier origins. (I seem to recall an earlier series, but I can't remember details.)

In the same way, though Gatchaman features a team... I can't recall any "themed teams" in American comics, and certainly no mecha.

Umm, X-Men? All-mutant, and thus all-outsider?

The FF is, AFAIK, the earliest common-origin hero team to be the focus of a comic, with X-Men being a quick follow-up. Super-hero teams before that - whether Marvel or DC - were all collections of diverse hero types brought together for some common purpose.

And while there have been a lot of themed teams in Marvel comics over the years, X-Men and the Inhumans are are the only ones I'm aware of which predate Gatchaman. (Alpha Flight came several years later, as did the other all-mutant teams and various other entries.) Still, that's enough to say that Gatchaman may have adapted the theme-team idea. They were definitely innovators, though, in the "combined attack maneuver" category, which I don't believe any American comic team had done before that; the FF, X-Men, and Avengers might have all used teamwork, but they didn't ever do anything like Gatchaman's tornado-like team attack.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
That reminds me: I don't know if it counts or not, but there are also the military squads, such as the Blackhawk Squadron or Captain America's Howling Commandos, who, of course, are military-themed. (In addition, the Blackhawks themselves are aviators, and they debuted in 1941, predating most of the other teams by decades.) Rarely do they have actual powers, but they often take on superpowered or otherwise supernatural threats and are treated as equals with other super teams.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
^^
Yeah, I thought of them, but didn't mention them because they're not true super-hero teams.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Umm, X-Men? All-mutant, and thus all-outsider?

The FF is, AFAIK, the earliest common-origin hero team to be the focus of a comic, with X-Men being a quick follow-up. Super-hero teams before that - whether Marvel or DC - were all collections of diverse hero types brought together for some common purpose.

The FF has a common origin, all of their powers were obtained at the same time in the same event. The 00 Cyborgs have a common origin in that they were all intentionally surgically modified by Black Ghost.

The X-men have nothing in common beyond the buzzword term "mutant". (Stan Lee chose it, knowing it was a buzzword, to save the trouble of inventing a bunch of origin stories for a new team.) The idea that they were 'outsiders' largely postdates the period in question and came into play after Marvel rebooted the franchise with a new team in 1975.

Much of what we understand as the X-Men today, and it's influence, comes from that reboot and subsequent retconning. The original (pre-reboot) series wasn't all that popular or influential. After being nothing but reprints (no new stories) for several years it was actually on the verge of cancellation.

Quote:
They were definitely innovators, though, in the "combined attack maneuver" category, which I don't believe any American comic team had done before that; the FF, X-Men, and Avengers might have all used teamwork, but they didn't ever do anything like Gatchaman's tornado-like team attack.

True. The idea of team attacks (combining powers) and combiners (combining physical forms) are definitely Japanese innovations.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I hope that there'll be more of this stuff coming here in the future. I'd love to see it..What do you guys think?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I hope that there'll be more of this stuff coming here in the future. I'd love to see it..What do you guys think?

It is dependent on the supply/demand for American-style superheroes in anime. I think a key reason accounting for T&B's success is that it had quite a bit product placement/company sponsorship.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2