• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pixar's John Lasseter Recommends Wooing Girls With Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, it is a litmus test. If someone can survive an annual marathoning on LoGH, on a finger the ring goes.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Knowing Lasseter I thought his answer would be "Just get a really, really, REALLY fancy car - preferably from the 80s". But it's nice to see the man still has a soft spot for traditional animation, even though he single-handedly doomed its collapse in the American theatrical market and, far more importantly, is doing nothing to remedy that.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Is he a fan of Lupin? or is it just Miyazakis works.
Peebs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Then how was it love at first sight? What if she hadn't liked it? Would his "love at first sight" then turn into ashes? What the hay? If somebody tried to "woo" me with anime, I'd run in the opposite direction and I say that as a fan of anime. I'm not interested in what anybody in the whole world is interested in, much less my siblings or a potential love interest. I'm a fandom of one. His words sound sexist to me.
ArnisEnthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
Well, it is a litmus test. If someone can survive an annual marathoning on LoGH, on a finger the ring goes.

Lol, Agreed.

Peebs wrote:
Then how was it love at first sight? What if she hadn't liked it? Would his "love at first sight" then turn into ashes? What the hay? If somebody tried to "woo" me with anime, I'd run in the opposite direction and I say that as a fan of anime. I'm not interested in what anybody in the whole world is interested in, much less my siblings or a potential love interest. I'm a fandom of one. His words sound sexist to me.

He didn't go out of his way to attempt to use the movie to flirt with her. He loved the movie and wanted to see if she liked it too, and from what it sounds like they bonded over it.
Most people like to have interests in common with the people they care about so I guess you're in the minority there.

Also, the concept of "wooing" or flirting isn't inherently sexist. How it is done can be sexist, but it isn't always sexist. You're also jumping to the conclusion that he wouldn't have liked her if she didn't like the movie. Even if it was something he considered a requirement in a potential partner, that wouldn't be sexist. A girl could have the same requirement for a man and it would be just as fine.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:44 pm Reply with quote
This slightly misleading since he wasn't talking about dating advice, just a story about how he and his future wife bonded over this particular movie. He didn't "recommend wooing girls with anime". I was expecting a silly dating advice video, but just got a story.

Peebs wrote:

How in the world is anything he said sexist? Holy hell, some people will just get offended by anything. Jeez.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:33 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Knowing Lasseter I thought his answer would be "Just get a really, really, REALLY fancy car - preferably from the 80s". But it's nice to see the man still has a soft spot for traditional animation, even though he single-handedly doomed its collapse in the American theatrical market and, far more importantly, is doing nothing to remedy that.

It wasn't Lasseter that caused traditional animation to lose relevance in America. It was the studios themselves. Remember that around the time that Pixar's movies were coming out, audiences were finding some of Disney's subsequent movies to be more formulaic and less fresh. The Pixar people were putting out stories which were unique and different. Disney was not. Disney ultimately bottomed out with three major duds in a row: Treasure Planet, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, and Home on the Range. All three were disappointments at the box office. As for Lasseter doing nothing. He tried already with The Princess and the Frog. But that movie came at a time when Disney was at its lowest point, and again, it seemed to many like "more of the same." It's not that he doesn't want to do another handdrawn animated feature IMO, but the problem is he has to answer to Disney's stockholders. They're a business, and as of now it is seen as risky to make a handdrawn animated feature, especially if said feature bombs.

The only way handdrawn animation can be relevant again in America is if another studio manages to churn out a major hit using that form of art. Don Bluth did it once with An American Tail, and currently other studios are mounting features to fight for handdrawn animation's future. The SPA Studios is doing Klaus, which looks to be fresh and original, James Lopez Animation is doing Hullabaloo, and there is a Ralph Bakshi/Watership Down style feature called Dawgtown. Even Don Bluth is trying to put together a Dragon's Lair movie. And for the record, there's going to be a new handdrawn (sorta) movie released this year: My Little Pony: The Movie. It's not going to be seen as a major changer, but at least it'll prevent it from going away.

Again, it won't be easy to fight for traditional animation in America, but we should by no means give up -- there are people who are passionate about bringing it back, and CG can't keep handdrawn animation away forever. Something's going to change someday.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:04 am Reply with quote
TurnerJ, that's very hopeful of you and I hope you're right. I'd love to see hand drawn animation make a comeback in American cinema.
I'm happy that the medium is robust on TV--I think there are still more 2D cartoons than 3D. I've thought that if theatrical 2D animation did make a come back, it might be through popular TV cartoons getting movie spin-offs (not that it's guaranteed they'll be spun off in the same format--Spongebob went 3D for the big screen). My Little Pony is a start.

H. Guderian wrote:

That sounds romantic to me!
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
Can confirm. Met my fiance through anime. Can't really imagine dating anyone who wasn't into such a major hobby of my life.

TurnerJ wrote:
And for the record, there's going to be a new handdrawn (sorta) movie released this year: My Little Pony: The Movie.

Flash, or whatever fancy name people try to masquerade it as these days, isn't hand drawn animation. Better traditional animation to stay dead than be a shambling zombie husk of tweened mimicry. Others may have begrudingly accepted CG and Flash as the new standard, but this old codger never will.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Is he a fan of Lupin? or is it just Miyazakis works.

My guess is Miyazaki.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:11 am Reply with quote
Well, that's why I'm so popular with women, because they love a man who marathons all four episodes of Violence Jack and follows it up with Goku: Midnight Eye.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:57 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
But it's nice to see the man still has a soft spot for traditional animation, even though he single-handedly doomed its collapse in the American theatrical market...

No he isn't. Blame Rich Ross and Alan Horn. Whenever a 2D animated movie came out, the latter's poor marketing people did NOTHING to promote movies such as The Princess and the Frog. Horn is also responsible for the death of 2D. Lasseter is just doing what he loves, and the people responsible for killing 2D are typical out-of-touch Hollywood people like Rich Ross and Alan Horn.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:00 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Well, that's why I'm so popular with women, because they love a man who marathons all four episodes of Violence Jack and follows it up with Goku: Midnight Eye.
Three episodes you mean
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:06 am Reply with quote
Interesting. I can't tell you how many times I've been in a bar and said to a woman, "Hey, sugartits, howz abouts coming back to my place and watching some anime?" ... only to have my face slapped. I hate to contradict an authority like John Lasseter, but my experience clearly shows that wooing femmes with anime is not necessarily a sure thing.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
The only way handdrawn animation can be relevant again in America is if another studio manages to churn out a major hit using that form of art. Don Bluth did it once with An American Tail, and currently other studios are mounting features to fight for handdrawn animation's future. The SPA Studios is doing Klaus, which looks to be fresh and original, James Lopez Animation is doing Hullabaloo, and there is a Ralph Bakshi/Watership Down style feature called Dawgtown. Even Don Bluth is trying to put together a Dragon's Lair movie. And for the record, there's going to be a new handdrawn (sorta) movie released this year: My Little Pony: The Movie. It's not going to be seen as a major changer, but at least it'll prevent it from going away.

Again, it won't be easy to fight for traditional animation in America, but we should by no means give up -- there are people who are passionate about bringing it back, and CG can't keep handdrawn animation away forever. Something's going to change someday.

That studio won't be a motion picture studio, however. It will be a streaming service such as Amazon or Netflix. There's just no market demand for 2D feature animation anymore. If Don Bluth wants to do a 2D Dragon's Lair movie, I say make it a Netflix original.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2