• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Made in Abyss Anime's Final Episode Airs as 1-Hour Special

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:33 am Reply with quote
Łukasz Kawosz wrote:
danpmss wrote:
(which I'm going to edit out when watching with family/friends in the future

I'm speechless. Otaku community in 2017, ladies and gentlemen.

"Yeah, wow. He edits out unnecessary stuff in his cartoons to make them accesible to his family without weirding them out and getting aversion to anime. What a joke of a guy, in 2017 too!"

That's just a thing I do myself, it doesn't enter in the discussion (I mentioned just to be a primary example of how people can quickly gain prejudice with the most minor of things even if there's only 3 seconds of it.... The complete ellaboration about that matter is found above btw.

Regardless, Ad Hominem. *ding*

Quote:

danpmss wrote:
If anything, that's the main reason why the manga can't go pass 50k sales.

There are many, many manga titles that would kill for those 50k sales. They don't need Naruto-tier sales to be profitable and recognized, and with the anime selling good it will only get better.

Or maybe you literally won't let niche anime stay niche and disregard anything unpopular as an dumpsterfire. Are you watching anime/manga because of their content or because other people are reading it and may judge it for you?

Nah, that was just a supposition really, my point is that a manga with this much quality of writing and storytelling probably would have a better reception of the overall public without the creepy-pervy factor that is obviously there. This is a manga that could have been selling much better than that (before the anime came out the volumes barely sold 10k each iirc, the boost of the awesome adaptation it's quite satisfying to see, even though it could probably have been better than that if only these elements weren't present). But here I digress, this is, repeating, a supposition I made considering the history of other manga, anime and overall other productions.

The mainstream reaction kinda matters for sales, and it's what makes these works sell more (if they are isolated in a niche even with all of the potential of being a story for every young adult/adult to read (considering the demographic), the series will just appeal to them alone, and many people will just see it as "something that people who likes that pedo stuff are attracted to" in Japan there's a lot of this, and outside Japan so much more, if looking at the mainstream espectrum.

I could also argue this is just another one of those small online magazines and the sales for such a small thing are actually amazing, but there are other online exclusive manga that surely made it to the 400k+ sales (a phenomenal success), like the previously mentioned One Punch Man. In terms of quality of content (each one inside its respective genres, of course, otherwise it would be just stupid to even try to compare), if you ignore these unnecessary hiccups, Made in Abyss is in my opinion, comparable to it overall.

Quote:

danpmss wrote:
My point remains. And actually, this isn't even about "censorship" really, it's more about adapting something well while "trimming the fat" from the original,as I said above. Feel free to have your own opinion about it, that's mine, and these are my points solidifying it (and I'll back them up further if you so want to continue discussing).

You could have a point if it was just quick lewd fragments here and there, but you're asking for removal of several pages of character development for anegdotal evidence of people abandoning the manga because they couldn't stand the perceived pedophilia.

Reg already had his dick looked at both by grown men and little girls in the anime several times, one more scene certainly won't hurt the popularity as it is.

You sure didn't read all the rest of the discussion above then, I made far more other points than just that. And even contextualized them.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:37 am Reply with quote
Łukasz Kawosz wrote:
danpmss wrote:
I'm very open to debate, and I'll give up on my points when someone actually proves them wrong or flawed (I had to correctly readdress the censorship thing just above, for example). That's all for now. More than that would probably be derailing, which is against the guidelines of this very forum.

You're saying that content shouldn't appear because nobody will like it and you call those that might enjoy it creeps, whatever. And this is not censorship, this is something else. On top of that, you're already making personal extended edits of the anime for your friends and family so they won't see the show for what it is really.

Yeah this is pretty solid ground for constructive discussion. Yeah.

Like, how do you expect me to discuss with you like this? You're literally living in fantasy world where people will hate your cartoons because there's a girl being tied to the rope and beaten in one quick scene, or them taking a bath.

Let's just stop.

1-Read the points above^
2- Read the discussion above and see I adressed this and then quote me on that instead of making me copy and paste it (which I won't do any more).

And adding, learn to stop Ad Hominem-ing.

Gosh, this is what I get for replying without seeing if there wasn't any new replies Rolling Eyes
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:54 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
danpmss wrote:
... to reuse Usagi Drop as an example (even though it is a different case with what I would consider "actual 100% censorship" in a way), you will never see people praising the manga, only the anime, which pretty much omitted all of the squicky stuff, for a very good reason). ...

You can't make a blanket statement like that, if only for the simple reason it's not true.

Yeah, sorry about that, let me be more especific and correct my mistake:
"...you USUALLY WON'T see people praising the manga, only the anime, which pretty much omitted all of the squicky stuff, for a very good reason"

People who actually liked the manga better are a very small minority, yet I shouldn't have generalized as "no one at all" (there certainly ARE people out there who liked it, this possibility can't be denied). My proof comes from the community response overall in forums, imageboards, anime discussion groups. Google is your friend for that, go and search if you need evidence (I would post links myself if I had any time, but I don't... and my free time is being wasted in here anyway), you will rarely find someone who thinks the manga is better than the anime for the second half of it alone. That's just a fact. the second half was absolutely polemic for what it did with the very main theme of the story, making people weird out even more just for thinking the author had that in mind since the beginning.

Quote:

As for the rest (tl, dr), some of us agree, the rest of us disagree. Leave it at that, it's derailing the thread...

I know well the guidelines, this discussion is still inside of the topic in question ("the anime adaptation and what they will do in the future, given the one hour long last episode").

I don't really care whether you all agree or disagree, I'll state my points and whoever wants to counter about them, feel free to do so, and I will answer as soon as I can, and that's that. Otherwise, you are no longer contributing to this discussion, so you just leave it at that.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:29 am Reply with quote
Enough already. Chill out.

Post about Made in Abyss or risk having your post deleted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
REInnocent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:28 am Reply with quote
nice...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3