• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The History of Tokusatsu in Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
Katsuji Mori was the original anime voices of both Cyborg 009 himself and Ken Washio from "Gatchaman". He has appeared in various other classic Tatsunoko titles that are tokukatsu/Super Sentai-type shows, including Johji in Tekkaman, the Space Knight. However, let's not forget he was the original voice of Speed Racer. That is perhaps the most famous Tatsunoko show for many Americans as many grew up watching the original dub.
Arachnée

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:50 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
No mention of KARAS or even Guyver, but I suppose those don't count as tokusatsu. Sad

And no mention of "Wingman" either!
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Garo was created by Toei back in 2005 as an attempt to launch a more adult-oriented toku show, and by all accounts it worked out. The broody story of disaffected demon-hunters duking it out in shiny armor went on to receive several sequels and spin-offs, and studio MAPPA's animated historical prequel was one of them. This one even managed to secure an official release from Funimation, making it not only the first Garo entry released in the West, but likely the first entry in Toei's modern toku catalog to make it here in non-Power-Rangers form. Maybe being a ‘mature’ show specifically for anime audiences helped with that.

Garo was not produced by Toei, it was actually by Tohokushinsha Film Corporation (TFC), best known on the anime side for being main producer (and licensor) for Redline, Saikano (aka She, The Ultimate Weapon) & all of Patlabor.

If this was Toei, MAPPA would have had nothing to do with the anime adaptations, we wouldn't have had them licensed here outside of Crunchyroll streams (and none at all for the live-action which btw, we're soon getting subtitled BDs from Kraken of the recent HD remaster) and those would have suffered from the same production-related problems that we see in other Toei anime in recent years (especially during the first series since 2014-2015 Toei was infamously bad).
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quote
I just watched "Steven Spielberg hates tokusatsu" on Youtube then this poppep up. I don't know if Tiger & Bunny can be considered tokusatsu or not but the show has many elements of it.

And anyone knows the anime on the thumbnail? It looks pretty interesting.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:

And anyone knows the anime on the thumbnail? It looks pretty interesting.

I believe the thumbnail image is promotional art from the upcoming series Vanishing Line (which is another Garo anime).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2