Forum - View topic
Interview: Keiichi Sigsawa


Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cannonfodder4000



Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 15
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote
[quote="Blackiris_"]
cannonfodder4000 wrote:
I hate that they recast Kino. No reason for it.
We don't even know if Ai Maeda would be available 14 years later. I kinda doubt it. It was her only anime voice acting overall and she isn't a voice actress to begin with.


Didn't know that, makes sense.

relyat08 wrote:
Not to mention one of the biggest reasons this is being made at all is because Aoi Yuki WANTS to play Kino. They even vaguely noted this in the interview. So, yeah... uh.. that's kind of a big reason.


She's one of the most popular voice actors currently, it's easier for me to assume that she got hired for that reason, less so that she personally really wanted to do it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cannonfodder4000



Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 15
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:07 am Reply with quote
I dont know about you guys, but I associate Kino's Journey more with the stylized anime art style, as opposed to the cutesy light novel one
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Geo



Joined: 18 Sep 2005
Posts: 1414
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
cannonfodder4000 wrote:
She's one of the most popular voice actors currently, it's easier for me to assume that she got hired for that reason, less so that she personally really wanted to do it.


Well, looking at her resume, it looks like Aoi Yuki's debut role in anime was actually as Sakura in the original Kino's Journey anime, so I'm sure that the series means a lot to her, both professionally & personally (as it's where she got her start). I wouldn't be surprised if she just really wanted to continue voicing Kino after doing the NicoNico video.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
relyat08



Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 3498
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
cannonfodder4000 wrote:

relyat08 wrote:
Not to mention one of the biggest reasons this is being made at all is because Aoi Yuki WANTS to play Kino. They even vaguely noted this in the interview. So, yeah... uh.. that's kind of a big reason.


She's one of the most popular voice actors currently, it's easier for me to assume that she got hired for that reason, less so that she personally really wanted to do it.


I feel like you missed this question/answer. To be fair, it wasn't stated in this interview, but Aoi Yuki stated during the below noted picture drama that one of her biggest dreams as a seiyu was to play Kino in a new Kino series As the comment above me notes, this series was where she started her acting career and it holds a very special place for her. So, yeah, that's a big part of why this is happening.


From the interview wrote:
How did this opportunity to do another series come about for you?

As a creator, I don't have much say about what gets animated, but a producer approached me asking if I wanted to do a new anime, because he had done a short picture drama on Nico Nico Douga with Aoi Yūki doing the voice acting, and it was a hit. Based on that, he wanted to make a new series with Aoi Yūki playing the part of Kino. All things considered, he probably already had plans to make a new Kino's Journey anime, but because that video was so successful, he wanted to move forward with making it for the following year with Aoi Yūki in the main role.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
cannonfodder4000



Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 15
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:05 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
cannonfodder4000 wrote:

relyat08 wrote:
Not to mention one of the biggest reasons this is being made at all is because Aoi Yuki WANTS to play Kino. They even vaguely noted this in the interview. So, yeah... uh.. that's kind of a big reason.


She's one of the most popular voice actors currently, it's easier for me to assume that she got hired for that reason, less so that she personally really wanted to do it.


I feel like you missed this question/answer. To be fair, it wasn't stated in this interview, but Aoi Yuki stated during the below noted picture drama that one of her biggest dreams as a seiyu was to play Kino in a new Kino series As the comment above me notes, this series was where she started her acting career and it holds a very special place for her. So, yeah, that's a big part of why this is happening.


From the interview wrote:
How did this opportunity to do another series come about for you?

As a creator, I don't have much say about what gets animated, but a producer approached me asking if I wanted to do a new anime, because he had done a short picture drama on Nico Nico Douga with Aoi Yūki doing the voice acting, and it was a hit. Based on that, he wanted to make a new series with Aoi Yūki playing the part of Kino. All things considered, he probably already had plans to make a new Kino's Journey anime, but because that video was so successful, he wanted to move forward with making it for the following year with Aoi Yūki in the main role.


Ooh okay, fair enough.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Karasu-Lacryma



Joined: 20 Feb 2015
Posts: 73
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I'd been worrying about the upcoming anime a lot, but this puts a lot of fears to rest.

Quote:
So if Kino thinks of herself so little, what do you feel drives her? If she's so unconcerned with her own identity, what is she pursuing through her travels?

I can't really say right now, but if you read all of the Kino's Journey stories, there is a flow to their progression that people will be able to understand by the end. She does have a central motivation that will eventually be revealed, but I can't tell you what it is right now.


Now, this is interesting. I stopped reading (available translations) around Book 10. I'm wondering if anyone's fully caught up and can say how much things have progressed since then?

With the exception of spoiler[Ti], nearly every character doesn't get development so much as their minds/motivations/histories are revealed, from my experience. Kino is an absolutely fascinating character to pick apart though. His quote about the reason behind her androgyny is also really interesting; I had always interpreted it as arising from spoiler[practicality when traveling (a male being a safer role than a female) and, more metaphysically, a psychological attempt to embrace the role of the original, male bearer of the name "Kino"] but this puts things in some new light.


cannonfodder4000 wrote:
I dont know about you guys, but I associate Kino's Journey more with the stylized anime art style, as opposed to the cutesy light novel one

Strongly agree; the previous art style helped the show feel more metaphysical and worked well with its darker elements. Either the new show is gonna be much lighter or we're gonna get some crazy tonal dissonance. Oh well, perhaps it will help the series earn the mainstream fame it deserves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 10401
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
Someone should have asked him what kind of breed Shizu's dog is. It looks like an Akita, Samoyed, or Kishu Ken.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BloodyKitty



Joined: 13 Mar 2017
Posts: 4
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
SaneSavantElla wrote:
And this is why I feel sad when the only thing people praise Kino no Tabi for is its "androgynous" main character. Confused


I feel you Ella, I don't think that's the only reason that some people like Kino no Tabi but seeing the way they commented that "Kino should look more "androgynous" than this" just after looking at a few cover illustrations of the LN make me think they're kind of missing the point.

Kadmos1 wrote:
Someone should have asked him what kind of breed Shizu's dog is. It looks like an Akita, Samoyed, or Kishu Ken.


According to LN info, Riku (the white dog) is a Samoyed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SaneSavantElla



Joined: 25 Jan 2013
Posts: 86
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:19 am Reply with quote
BloodyKitty wrote:
I feel you Ella, I don't think that's the only reason that some people like Kino no Tabi but seeing the way they commented that "Kino should look more "androgynous" than this" just after looking at a few cover illustrations of the LN make me think they're kind of missing the point.


Whoops... totally forgotten about this thread already.
Yeah, Kino's androgyny in the 2003 anime is definitely intentional, but it gets tiring seeing proclamations of "it's the whole point of the series" all over threads. Anyway, only a few days left!
Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group