• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Okami HD Announced for PS4, Xbox One, PC

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superfield

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Although I don't suspect they did, because they didn't do it for the PS3, I just hope they increased the render range of animals to more than 2 feet in front of you. Understandable on the PS2, downright puzzling on higher-end hardware.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this is good news! Harvey ate my PS2 and my still-unplayed copy, and I don't own a PS3. Now I just have to find out if my old PC is salvageable.
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Okami is great so it's nice to see it on PC, I hope the give Viewtiful joe a rerelease too as that game never got an HD remaster and it was from the same studio
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Surprised they haven't touched Okamiden for porting. First game is being ported to death, let the sequel get some love.
Superfield

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Surprised they haven't touched Okamiden for porting. First game is being ported to death, let the sequel get some love.

It being a DS game most certainly makes things difficult, what with all of the touch stuff going on. Also, from what little I do know of Okamiden, I can imagine that there'd be all sorts of changes they'd want to make, since there were a lot of compromises that had to be made in order for it to run on a DS, like splitting up areas that were previously one continuous area.

That, and the first game is hailed as a hidden gem and modern classic. Okamiden is much more contentious among the fans that actually did bother playing a DS sequel/spin-off/side game to a PS2 game... even considering that it got (rather sloppily) ported to the Wii.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Superfield wrote:
Although I don't suspect they did, because they didn't do it for the PS3, I just hope they increased the render range of animals to more than 2 feet in front of you. Understandable on the PS2, downright puzzling on higher-end hardware.

Less so when you reconcile that as pretty much an HD port of a PS2 game it's pretty much going to look more or less the same as the PS2 game.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I already have the PS3 version and I'm not planning on double dipping, but this is great news for anyone with a 4K display. I've always been a bit disappointed it never got released on the Wii U though because that would have been the perfect platform for it, you could have had standard, motion, and touch controls.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I just picked up the Wii version a few months ago, but I'm liking the PC love.
Superfield

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I just picked up the Wii version a few months ago, but I'm liking the PC love.

I actually got the Wii version to begin with (didn't realize it was originally a PS2 game), I got to around the 1/3 mark and got fed up with how they implemented the motion controls. Found a PS2 copy and never looked back except for getting the HD version when I got a PS3. And if you're worried about drawing the symbols and whatnot with an analog stick instead of a pointer, don't be. The drawing was designed for an analog stick, and they didn't do enough to adapt it to pointing (and I usually hail pointing controls as the best unique feature of the Wiimote).
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:55 pm Reply with quote
@ Superfield

That has to be it. Okami has way more classic and easier to port. I can see Okamiden working out of maybe 3DS, Vita, or Switch, but that would require effort from Capcom that they aren't willing to do.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
@ Superfield

That has to be it. Okami has way more classic and easier to port. I can see Okamiden working out of maybe 3DS, Vita, or Switch, but that would require effort from Capcom that they aren't willing to do.

Given that Okami along with Okaimden aren't exactly highly popular games that would make sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1