• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Netflix's Live-Action Death Note Film Director Deletes Twitter After Harassment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:13 pm Reply with quote
It sucked. Life goes on. Get the Hell over it.
natureman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:15 pm Reply with quote
This is all the work of obsessive impulsive people. They love their source material so much that they have to hate any adaptation because its different, seems similar to racism.
GSAttack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame to see how many wannabe otaku there are who feel the need to criticize the efforts being made to produce these live action films based on popular Anime titles. It seems once it gets started there are always people out there who want to one-up the previous comment trying to show off their knowledge just causing everything to get out-of-control. This is as bad as when a lot of so-called fans were consistently complaining about dub scripts not being true to the original Japanese. This is all for entertainment. If you don't like it don't watch it but don't ruin it for others. All of us who have seen the original can do our own comparisons, we don't need your help.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
In Japan people do not worry about such stuff. The Japanese film industry has been adapting manga into movies for many decades now (Rose of Versailles had a live action movie adaptation well over 40 years ago) and people there are used to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Only going to say this once, watch the insults and bait/troll posts. Already removed a handful of posts. Let's keep this civil or it's heading to locksville.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
In Japan people do not worry about such stuff. The Japanese film industry has been adapting manga into movies for many decades now (Rose of Versailles had a live action movie adaptation well over 40 years ago) and people there are used to it.

to be fair, that's because it's Japanese manga being adapted to a Japanese movie.
Generally there aren't complaints when a Western (i.e. American) source is adapted to a Western movie (unless there's like some major whitewashing going on for a particular character)
russ869

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't a very good movie, but it was actually a lot better than I was expecting. In other words it wasn't terrible and he doesn't deserve this. In fact the film was relatively good for what it was trying to be: a dumb schlocky teen horror film a-la-Final Destination.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow people going ape shit over a B movie they seen on netflix
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was pretty dope but I have shit taste so nothing to see here.
Random Name

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In addition to whitewashing complaints
This is a thing? What does it matter what race/gender the characters are. Whoever the director feels fits the role the best should be cast for the role...quite frankly I can never tell the difference between what race anime characters are supposed to be.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
If you're going to have social media presence on the internet, then you've got to have a thick skin. Some people are not-so-nice-people and going to treat you like crap no matter what. Not defending those that sent death threats, as that's never appropriate, but this guy seemed to lump anyone who said anything negative about Death Note into one group. After reading up on the guy, it seems like he just can't take any sort of constructive criticism. He seems like the type that thinks everything he does is godly and anyone who has a different opinion is just a troll. No criticism is valid to him. I really hate these elitist types and i'll be sure to stay away from his future projects.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:20 pm Reply with quote
ArnisEnthusiast wrote:
This trend of fans harassing creators needs to stop. It's inexcusable.

My thoughts exactly. Whether it's an atrocious movie or the next big blockbuster, no creator deserves to receive death threats like this. If you want to protest something, show it via your wallet. Spend your time and money elsewhere, don't spew hateful garbage at another human being.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
He's acting like such a jerk too. He's not innocent. And he's off to ruin Godzilla vs. Kong. too lol.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:26 pm Reply with quote
GSAttack wrote:
It's a shame to see how many wannabe otaku there are who feel the need to criticize the efforts being made to produce these live action films based on popular Anime titles.
From what I have seen most of the time the complaints are about quality. A movie such as Dragonball Evolution didn't make anyone happy and there would be no point in getting ten more movies like that. An average movie is not surprising but what would be wonderful would be to have an anime adaptation that is a great movie.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
ArnisEnthusiast wrote:
This trend of fans harassing creators needs to stop. It's inexcusable.
Threats are inexcusable but he did tweet “Sorry trolls but the artist always wins in the long run. Wink" so he was bragging that he had already won since he had made the Death Note movie. I get that he is a famous person but I have seen plenty of Twitter fights where both sides were slinging mud.

I didn't know about that part. Of course no one points out the things that provoked the overreaction.

Look guys, as sad as it is, saying "Kill yourself" and making death threats is just a way to express dislike these days. I think it sucks, but it's also just something we need to deal with. Until they start showing any signs of being serious about these death threats, it's best to just ignore them.

CatSword wrote:
"Sorry trolls but the artist always wins in the long run.”

Translation: "I am very scared and need Internet backup to defend me and tell me how great I am."

"I love how many people feel personally attacked by this tweet. Its [sic] almost like troll bait. Those that bit expose themselves."

Translation: "Guys help me out here what am I doing. Trolls am I right? Guys?"

"It's time to switch gears over to GvK. Going dark."

Translation: "Okay now someone's gotta give me the defense that'll make me feel better about myself right?"

^ This. He was being immature and baiting trolls. The trolls took the bait and he couldn't handle the consequences. I think the really gross, amoral thing here is all the people who say "Sheesh, the movie isn't as bad as DB Evolution! Calm down guys!" It's like saying that there's a level of bad movie making that justifies attacks on the creator instead of... watching something else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6