• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Netflix's Live-Action Death Note Film Director Deletes Twitter After Harassment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCTakato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
So because you perceive him to be a jerk that justifies sending death threats? That's disgusting.
Nionel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand what the point of going after the director was, it's not like he wrote the screenplay. It seems to me like this is a case of people not understanding how movies work, you could have had the greatest director in the world behind the camera for the film, but if the script is bad, there isn't much you can do to save it.

This whole situation is a little absurd, for all the positives we see come from social media, there's always stories like this. It's sad that, at their cores, most humans are detestable creatures.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:13 am Reply with quote
Having watched the film and read the manga, I can say that the movie is passable at least, with some good points and bad points, though one of its bad points is pretty critical. I'd imagine it'd be a bit better from the perspective someone who isn't as familiar with the original manga or the anime.

That said, it's pretty disgusting to see the director (and anyone else involved with this production for the matter) getting harassed on social media because his vision didn't match expectations or the "fans" of the original blindly hating him. However, my sympathies for him has dwindled somewhat since he basically started baiting the trolls, which is something he should have never done intentionally.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Supermutant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:39 am Reply with quote
This was wrong what they did to him. If you think it was right you are just as bad as people giving him death threats. These idiots would not have been happy unless all japanese cast and speaking japanese only. Because you can't have adaption in US anymore while other countries can. Funny they call him a white supremacist since he turned L black. Movie should based on its merits as an adaption not because your melting because its not cast exactly same as was made in country of origin.
xchampion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:34 am Reply with quote
Guess What? He got to make an adaption of Death Note while y'all didn't. He gets to direct King Kong vs Godzilla while yall sit on your butt and doing nothing. He gets to do what he loves while a lot of y'all don't. I guess the artist does always win in the end because it seems Adam Wingard is doing a lot of winning. Btw I love You're Next, The Guest, and The Blair Witch.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote
On tweeting criticism to him: saying something to the effect [reason] is why I didn't like this film" is 1 thing. However, saying "I don't like your whitewashed version, so I will hurt your and your family" is another thing. Joking or not, think giving such threats is where the free speech argument gets thrown out the window.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:38 am Reply with quote
Wow the weeb community is the most toxic ever..the movie wasn't even that bad. These people need to learn the difference between adaptation and live action to the source material..
Inopethflames

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:14 am Reply with quote
I can't fathom how Netflix would think spending apparently $50 mil on this movie would get them anywhere near even on their return. Unless they purely think a lot more Japanese people will subscribe, or worldwide, I can't understand it. If that movie was released in theatres it would have made probably about 7-8 mil opening weekend, if that. Especially when the reviews are mostly terrible. I think decisions like this are why Netflix is in huge debt, and they may be in real trouble when Disney pulls out in a couple years.

Hopefully they feel it worked out for them and they will make more live action anime or increase the amount of actual anime on Netflix. They can singlehandedly boost the popularity of anime to a big degree when they have like 104 million subscribers and about 103 million of them have never heard of or watched anime before.
Araki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:43 am Reply with quote
"Mixed reviews". Mixed. Lol.
Also it wasn't the changes that bothered most people as this biased article tries to imply, it's just a really bad and poorly written movie.

Nothing justifies any form of threat, that's a given, but it's also worth mentioning that anyone following him noticed how he simply didn't know how to deal with criticism. He seems very egocentric for an upstarting director, and I'm being generous.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:29 am Reply with quote
People are stupid. They should hunt down the people who sent death threats and arrest them. And block all the others from going on twitter ever again.

For the love of god lets get rid of the people who think its ok to harass someone because of a damn movie.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:26 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I didn't know about that part. Of course no one points out the things that provoked the overreaction.
The combination of bragging and doing stuff like ridiculing the number of followers that his critics had meant that it was not a simple situation. Threats are inexcusable but I see a lot of people play the sympathy card so I have become somewhat skeptical of claims made without evidence.

xchampion wrote:
Guess What? He got to make an adaption of Death Note while y'all didn't. He gets to direct King Kong vs Godzilla while yall sit on your butt and doing nothing. He gets to do what he loves while a lot of y'all don't. I guess the artist does always win in the end because it seems Adam Wingard is doing a lot of winning. Btw I love You're Next, The Guest, and The Blair Witch.
Well I am sure he is happy that he has fans that love his movies though I notice you didn't include Death Note in that list.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:11 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Whoever the director feels fits the role the best should be cast for the role...quite frankly I can never tell the difference between what race anime characters are supposed to be.

Very naive view of the industry you have. The casting specifically banned Asians from auditioning. 'best fit for a role' is rarely about skill or faithfulness. It's about marketing. Not sure what to tell you if you can't tell a Japanese named, Japanese looking character in Japanese media has Japanese people in it. Japan is usually pretty stereotypical in its depictions that its eazy to tell if a character is suppose to be white or black instead of Japanese.

cloud8100 wrote:
People are stupid. They should hunt down the people who sent death threats and arrest them. And block all the others from going on twitter ever again.

Mean messages on Twitter are not a crime or arrestable. At least not in the US. Especially weak 'death threats' that are clearly just trolling/not serious.

I have zero sympathy for the guy. Playing a professional victim can be profitable, and people know it. Bait and mock people until one person says 'lol kill urself douche' and then you can grieve how you were viciously attacked and threatened by evil internet trolls and how you were almost murdered. Seen it so many times before. He got the 'get a bunch of pity stories on news sites' part down but he forgot to link his Patreon page so you can 'fight against online hate by sending me money' because that's how you combat 'online hate' or something, by giving a random person money. Also, putting out a book deal seems to be the new thing people do.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:44 am Reply with quote
Its encouraging to see most people here saying death threats over creative works is never acceptable. It's similarly unfortunate to see the number of "but, he deserved it" type responses. I just hope this incident will serve as a moment of reflection going forward.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:56 am Reply with quote
I do think the charge of "whitewashing" is silly. No-one complained when the Hong Kong crime thriller Infernal Affairs was remade into The Departed with white actors. No-one complained when Christopher Nolan remade Insomnia which was originally a Norwegian film. So Ghost in the Shell and Death Note being hammered for it unfortunate. It's not the ethnicity of the actors that matters, it's the quality of their performances and of the overall film. This pathetic white-guilt hand-wringing is a very recent phenomenon, and I hope it stops.

That said, I don't have much sympathy for the director. It sounds like he gleefully baited the trolls and then when they inevitably bit him he couldn't handle it. He deliberately swam in the deep end and then panicked when he realised he was in over his head.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I do think the charge of "whitewashing" is silly. No-one complained when the Hong Kong crime thriller Infernal Affairs was remade into The Departed with white actors. No-one complained when Christopher Nolan remade Insomnia which was originally a Norwegian film. So Ghost in the Shell and Death Note being hammered for it unfortunate. It's not the ethnicity of the actors that matters, it's the quality of their performances and of the overall film. This pathetic white-guilt hand-wringing is a very recent phenomenon, and I hope it stops.

A quick Google search reveals people did indeed complain about The Departed back in 2006. Complaints about whitewashing and racism go back to the early days of Hollywood. Older posters will remember things like Bruce Li getting second billing to white actors in his own movies.

As much as I dislike white-guilt, it's folly to say that's the source of all the complaints. Sure, some people complain about it because they hate white people, but those were the same people who cheered and praised a black L, Mary Jane, Game of Thrones characters, or other minority versions in adaptions, or complain when Iron Fist is white when he's always been white. You're leaving out the multitutes of people who simply want a faithful adaption. The people who want a Japanese Light and a white Spider-Man because that's how it is in the comic origins. Don't confuse social justice with fanboys who want accuracy. The former are generally hypocritical when it comes to other races taking rolls. The later will point to the source material and say "That's inaccurate".

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6