• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: 91 Days

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
One of the best shows of the season so far imo. The setting and revenge themes really is thrilling to watch while I think even the violence aspect is well done with its storytelling. Avilio is also quite an interesting character as I'm really curious to learn more about him. Hope the rest of the episodes can build off of what it started.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I got scared a bit in the middle of episode 2, that fight scene was atrocious with them constantly missing each others (and the blond guy just need to leave the show ASAP, really bummed he's not dead) but the last part thankfully rescued it, I can kinda convince myself that Angelo didn't kill blond guy to get the opportunity to kill the other guy and it's cool that there willing to actually kill main character early on.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I am not a big fan of mafia stories, but I still planned to follow this show. However, after watching the second episode I am dropping it because it is starting to bore me with all the cliches from Hollywood crime movies. And to make matters worse the visuals are starting to go into DRRR!!x2 territory.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
It's a fantastic show so far. It's nothing new so far,but the execution of the cliches and direction is solid. My two negatives so far are the animation which is already struggling as seen in that second episode.The second being the character of Fango,who is so out of place visually and character-wise for this type of story (he's obviously their take on Ladd Russo). The ending of that second was poetic in how Vanno personal vengeance ended up getting him killed for Angelo's revenge (along with starting a gang war). Hopefully it could keep this pace up.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
The best description I've heard so far, was that it is like a cross between the Godfather and Count of Monte Cristo
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
And to make matters worse the visuals are starting to go into DRRR!!x2 territory.

Especially the cars! Arg! What is it with cars in anime? It's like no one has ever seen them in action. I have a hard time buying that it's even a production costs thing because it would seem to me that there have to be tools available, at this point, to quickly make a CG car do what you want it to in a vaguely realistic fashion. Compared to car physics, anime boob physics are bastions of accuracy.

Maybe I'm just picky about this.

Themaster20000 wrote:
he's obviously their take on Ladd Russo

Probably so, but it's confusing. Considering how well they've aped other mafia-based works, how did they go so wrong with their take on Ladd Russo?
Yamaji

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoying this show and it may be the best of the year to date IMO. Nice change of pace from the usual moe high school shenanigans and the many trapped in a mmorpg shows.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Man, what a bipolar show. Episode 1 started with easily the best scene of the season so far, then proceeded to have one of the worst scenes of the season with the atrocious bar fight. Jesus, that was bad. Episode 2 was excellent for the majority of it, but then Fango shows up again, kills the mood again, and almost ruins the episode for me. Then we have that rather shocking showdown, followed by a great twist after the credits. To call this show uneven doesn't scratch the surface.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting something that oozed a more mature style of cool from this, but I was not expecting it to be so well paced, laid out and written.

This is most definitely a very Hollywood sort of anime, as was said in the review. It has a grasp of the sort of story it will be telling and is going full blast with it.

I'm now eagerly anticipating episode three next week as this series will probably continuously eat away at me until I find out what happens next. I cannot wait!
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:26 am Reply with quote
Especially considering most of the shows coming out this season, this show is a breeze of fresh air in terms of narrative, settings, and character interactions.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:22 am Reply with quote
Baccano! is one of my favourite shows ever which is probably why i don't really mind Fango. I've got a soft spot for crazy, cartoonish killers. Laughing

Liking this a lot so far and now that it looks like the revenge plan won't go as smoothly as it seemed, i'm really looking forward to next week.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
I forced myself to try and watch through the first episode. It feels like an angtsy teenager trying to convince his parents to take him seriously --- "I'm historical and violent, that means I'm mature!" Maybe if it had less shallow character designs/characterizations and a more sincere desire to authentically reflect the time period and sensibilities they're portraying, I would enjoy what seems like an otherwise interesting story. Besides Thunderbolt Fantasy and Mob Psycho 100, this was the one other show I had at least a mild interest in, but it's childish attempt at maturity just made me wince.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
but it's childish attempt at maturity just made me wince.

I'm curious as to what specifically in the first episode made you find it a childish attempt at maturity? What about portraying the lifestyle of the period would have made it better? Should it have been more like Boardwalk Empire, or is that one a childish attempt at maturity as well?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
I don't know what everyone's complaining about. Fango is the best character.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I don't know what everyone's complaining about. Fango is the best character.

Cause he's an extremely cartoony character that doesn't match the tone the show is going for at all. He'd be fine in Baccano,but this show is trying to be serious with it's tone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7