• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Are School Culture Festivals Really Like?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:50 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
My school didn't have culture festivals. I think the most common bonding activity that students shared was trying not to get knifed.

What school was that?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
The way you put it sounded like they would bring a knife to school to threaten somebody.

Also, buying a fighting knife is quite hard in Japan, hence the troupe you often see in animanga where kids wield razor blades.

Sometimes, that IS why they'd bring knives to school. Once metal detectors were installed at each entrance and armed guards stationed there, the knife incidents dropped dramatically, though they switched to improvised weapons instead. (I knew someone who was expelled because he brought a dagger to an off-campus luau event, concealed in his jacket. Yeah, my high school at least tried to have events, in spite of all the danger they entailed. I'm not sure how they discovered the dagger though, as there weren't any metal detectors where they went to.)

For the record, these were typically not fighting knives. They were often hunting knives, linoleum cutters, steak knives, or even simply sharpened sticks. The students also typically didn't buy them themselves. More often, they "borrowed" them from their parents.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
@ leafy sea dragon

I went to the same school from 8th grade through graduation. I did not experience any physical violence or threats of physical violence during that time. Nor did I see any or hear of anyone else having such problems. I carried a pocket knife (about a 3 inch blade) all through school and no one paid any attention to it.

The most disruptive thing I ever saw in class was when we had been generating hydrogen sulfide in chemistry. One of the guys took the ingredients to English class. It was made funnier because he was the teacher's pet.
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
varmintx wrote:
My school didn't have culture festivals. I think the most common bonding activity that students shared was trying not to get knifed.

What school was that?

Holmes HS in Covington, KY. I should point out that this was a quarter of a century ago, so I can't really speak to what the school is like these days. However, I would not exactly be shocked to learn it's still a hellhole.

Also, I apologize for sending the thread in this direction.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:56 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
CandisWhite wrote:
It's not that big of a stretch to use equipment from the classrooms for these events; This stuff is used for years by many kids and has been considered an investment. It's not about spending thousands for this one event.

Did your schools have really nice stuff too? Because my schools had severely outdated, aging, and worn down or outright broken equipment for the most part. It basically looked a lot like Springfield Elementary as depicted in The Simpsons episode "The PTA Disbands!," in which the school can't afford anything and spends its entire budget just trying not to implode, and elective classes were getting axed left and right.

I went to a great high school ( My other schools were just fine but this one is the most relevant). It was a definitively middle class school so no Gilmore schmoozing or Frasier Crane one upping to get in, simply a well liked institution full of opportunity; This school is so well liked, there were kids bused in from the city.

The equipment was not space age but the investment at the time of purchase was considered and the money was spent; We had stuff like a kitchen, 2 gymnasiums and a work-out gym, a small salon, a cavernous Com Tech room with a dark room. There were advanced classes, including a REALLY advanced class for senior math, and, if I recall correctly, booster programs for kids needing help; Options ran the range from languages to trades to the arts; Gym was only mandatory for Grade 10 but if you stuck it out till senior year you did some pretty sweet stuff (I'm still pissed that I was sick for scuba diving lessons and so had to miss out on that. Fun fact: I suck at sports, was bottom of the class my whole senior year, but as half of your grade came from written work I automatically passed because I aced my tests).

We had a mix of economic ranges, and outside of knowing someone had a brand new car or a kid being embarrassed because they didn't have the $25 to see a play, it wasn't something you knew or really cared about: Everyone at some point participated in fundraisers and everyone had access to the school equipment. Kids found ways to do the usual teenage cattiness but money or lack thereof just wasn't a badge that a person carried around.

I don't think that this experience was really that out there when compared to other healthy stable schools but, yeah, compared to your experience of "$5 a kid? I can't afford that!" and *crack* "What's the problem I get plenty of" looks at container "MALK?", combined with the prison comparison (Blech! No kid should have to go through that.), it's on another planet. I'm glad that you were able to get out alright.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:18 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I guess teenage rebelliousness is not as strong in Japan.

Master Roshi does the mafuba on all teenager students to extract any rebellious spirit Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2